‘Young Democrats of America’ President Rod Snyder: I’m Gay

Rod Snyder, the President of the Young Democrats of America, wraps up his three-year tenure at the organization, and comes out of the closet:

SnyderBut in the midst of all this historic progress, I’ve never taken the opportunity to tell my own story – that I am a Christian, an American, a West Virginian, a Young Democrat, a rural advocate, a singer-songwriter, a brother, a son, a grandson, a nephew, an uncle, and a gay man.

Growing up in a conservative Christian family in rural West Virginia, my own journey to a place of self acceptance has been a long and difficult one. Over the past two years, now in my early thirties, I’ve finally found the courage to look in the mirror and insist upon honesty and authenticity, overcoming so many negative messages I had internalized as a child and young adult. I’ve reached a place where I believe my story can help increase understanding, provide encouragement and be a catalyst for change.

While society is evolving at a breathtaking pace, there are still many places like my home state of West Virginia where I could be fired from a job or evicted from an apartment simply because of the person I love. I can’t sit by quietly and leave this fight for equality to others. This is my fight.

There are also young LGBT men and women across the country who aspire to careers in public service and need to know that they can achieve success in the political arena. I want to be an example of a leader who succeeds because of my honesty, not in spite of it.

Some Unfinished Business [yda]

Comments

1. MateoM says

Being a nasty, homophobic republican troll isn’t natural either, Kev C. Yet you insist on flaunting your unnatural tendencies all over this blog.

2. Kev C says

MateoM, you’re a democrat and can’t possibly understand that more than 2 political philosphies exist in the world. Also, stop being a homophobe, MateoM.

3. Jerry says

Wow, MATEOM, you really have some issues to resolve, don’t you. Being a Gay American is NOT unnatural, any more than being a hateful bigot is unnatural. Well, inasmuch as children are NOT born with bias and bigotry but are taught those vile behaviors, you are unnatural.
    Keep up the good work, Rod. I’ve been fighting for 50 or so years so that you could be where you are now and say what you please.

4. MateoM says

Jerry, I’m guessing you didn’t read my comment very closely. I was telling Kev C, who posts anti-liberal, anti-woman, and homophibic comments all over this site under different names, that his hatred of gays, democrats, and women is unnatural. His hatred of others is unnatural. I’m a gay man and have always been so. I know being gay isn’t unnatural.

Next time please read my comments closely before you attack me. Unless you’re the same person posting as Kev C.

5. Kev C says

MateoM attacks and insults posters and writers here every day. Just like a homophobe would. Just like a Democrat would. Every single MateoM post is an ad hominem attack, insult or complaint. You want to fight with someone MateoM? You want to insult someone MateoM? Bring it, stupid homophobe MateoM.

6. MateoM says

Oh Kev, or should I say Rick/Jason. I know better than fight with a troll. I post here every day to point out when you’re spewing bigoted filth under numerous user names so that people don’t fall into your traps. I notice you never denied posting under numerous usernames. And as a true bully troll would, you deflected. My posts speak for themselves, just as your hate speech speaks for itself. Silly troll, you’re transparent.

7. Kev C says

MateoM, STOP POSTING AS ME! Telling someone to go play in traffic is really immature and childish and I would never say that. That’s what Rick and LittleKiwi do and it’s disgusting. I also don’t think you’re homophobic. But you’re certainly frustrating.

8. andrew says

MateoM: I would take your criticism of the bomb throwers who post ugly and false comments in other people’s names more seriously, if you would admit that Little Kiwi, whom you regularly defend, has often been guilty of the very same devious tactics.

9. MateoM says

Andrew, LittleKiwi has certainly used those tactics over the years. But he didn’t start that fight. But I agree such behavior really brings down the civility of this site.

Hagatha (aka David Hearne, aka Rick), the reason Liberals don’t have any fear about coming out of the closet is because other Liberals are accepting tolerant. Unlike Republicans. Unlike all of the people you seem to worship and suck up to. Hagatha, by which I mean, of course, Rick, is so conflicted by the hate shown to him by the party he subscribes to that he feels the need to take it out on the rest of us, who have a brain.

10. andrew says

@HAGATHA: I’m still waiting for you to share your twisted logic defending your statement that sending food and medicine to Africa causes more deaths there than if we just leave them alone.

11. andrew says

@MateoM: Your first paragraph was great. The second paragraph, not so much. I do not worship or suck up to the right wingers who spew their negative, conservative and often devious posts on this site. Nor do I have any respect for Kiwi who often does the same thing. This is what Kiwi recently posted about Adam: “Adam talks smack about women because he never got over the jealousy that his mom got to suck hid dads c**k and never shared it with him”. This is the level to which the guy you often defends stoops.