Big Brother | Julie Chen | News | Reality TV

Julie Chen Tells 'Big Brother' Houseguests They Made National Headlines for Racist and Anti-Gay Slurs: VIDEO

Bbreveal

On last night's finale, the Big Brother houseguests were finally told by host Julie Chen that their racist and homophobic slurs on the show made national headlines, and they were berated by African-American evicted houseguest Howard, who told them he was shocked by what he saw after he left the house and hoped they would learn and grow from it.

Said Howard: "I didn't even watch the live feeds or After Dark at all because it just infuriated me. I feel bad for my cast members both if they said these things or they didn't say these things."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Gries

Comments

1. Note how the female contestants all have identical hairstyles. They look like tragic clones. Julie Chen is a piece of garbage.

Posted by: Adam | Sep 19, 2013 8:40:33 AM

2. I really dislike reality shows but I can recognize when they do something good like show how racist this country really is. I'm a Latino and have experienced racism, just two damn weeks ago (not the 1st time). I had a white lady tell me that she hated Mexicans because they are "dirty". I live in a So Cal beach city and this is 2013! So in addition to being severely homophobic you are also really racist America. Very exceptional indeed!

Posted by: Isaac | Sep 19, 2013 8:42:52 AM

3. This show used to be fun, now it's just sad.

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 19, 2013 8:43:51 AM

4. worst.season.ever. The gay white rat won

Posted by: hotbeef | Sep 19, 2013 8:45:09 AM

5. 'Scuse me, but back to back posts about a pointless, irrelevant show? What's going on with this blog?

Posted by: Butch | Sep 19, 2013 8:47:19 AM

6. Don't care; never watched it. NEXT!

Though last night while waiting for the 11PM news, we sat through the last 10 minutes of "America's Got Talent", and honestly... we don't. There was some... horribly wretched country (we think) singer gyrating his ham-hocks in too-tight-for-his-age-and-weight jeans while the audience waved American flags while warbling through some... mess of noise.

I just keep going back the the dialog from "The Blues Brothers"

Elwood: "What kinds of music do you play here?"
    Waitress: "We have both kinds! Country AND Western!"

And I thank GOD WCRB Boston is live streamed over iTunes.

Posted by: Rad | Sep 19, 2013 9:04:50 AM

7. Thanks so much guys who don't watch and don't like this show for taking the time to read and comment and let us all know that you...don't like or watch the show. So germane to the discussion. If only there were more like you. Slow day at work?

Posted by: crashops | Sep 19, 2013 9:20:32 AM

8. Contrived trash.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Sep 19, 2013 9:20:52 AM

9. I was sooo disappointed they didn't dedicate more time to this. I wanted to see Aaryn and Gina Marie's live reactions to being fired so badly.

Posted by: JMC | Sep 19, 2013 9:21:13 AM

10. I wasn't talking about the show, Crashops, I was asking why Towleroad thinks it's worth two posts in a row. That's a legitimate question.

Posted by: Butch | Sep 19, 2013 9:25:20 AM

11. Julie Chen most certainly did NOT tell them that they made national news over their anti-gay slurs. Anti-gay slurs were never mentioned. In fact racial slurs were barely mentioned and even then mostly in veiled references.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Sep 19, 2013 9:49:09 AM

12. Because it's Andy's blog butch, not yours. He doesn't owe anyone any justification for what he writes. If you don't like the topics he addresses, go somewhere else.

Posted by: Peter | Sep 19, 2013 9:57:06 AM

13. crashops - There is a reason we don't watch it. We watched it before.

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 19, 2013 10:37:45 AM

14. Peter - The reader is entitled to an opinion. This is a commercial publication, albeit a small one completely controlled by its proprietor. As such, wondering why it gives space to a given topic is no different than criticizing the Washington Post for pushing a particular point of view or giving too much space to a pet sacred cow.

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 19, 2013 10:40:33 AM

15. Isaac - You refer to America in the third person. Are you an American citizen, and if not then what are you doing living here?

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 19, 2013 10:42:50 AM

16. crashops, thank you for the hearty cackle you gave me about whiny bitches. Seriously, that's what it comes down to when someone WAH WAH WAHs about a post in the comment section, like they have to give their Yelp review to every damn thing they read. It's best not to indulge them in their self-importance though. I admit I wish there was a way to indicate which comments are worthy of an eyeroll.

Posted by: John | Sep 19, 2013 12:05:43 PM

17. Aaryn was interviewed on LA's CBS2 news last night and didn't seem to have learned anything at all. She fauxpologized if anyone was offended, but pulled out the "I'm was quoted out of context" card and insisted that she didn't believe any of those things at all. When asked about being fired by her modeling agency, she took a swipe at them, essentially describing them as low-rent and not worth her time, and besides she already had three interviews with new modeling agencies scheduled for today. So everything was sunshine and dollar signs for her.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Sep 19, 2013 1:19:51 PM

18. Howard seems like the only one who showed class.

Posted by: Kenny | Sep 19, 2013 1:37:20 PM

19. It's relevant because many of the castmates made homophobic comments, and the gay on the show made unfortunate racist comments as well.

I echo the sentiment above that for people who do not care or do not watch, you seem to care. Skip the post if you do not watch.

Posted by: Fancy | Sep 19, 2013 1:46:06 PM

20. HAGATHA...B*tch please with that "if you are not an American citizen, what are you doing here" comment. This is a website on the WORLD WIDE WEB catering to gay people from all over the world. Get a life.

Posted by: WOW | Sep 19, 2013 2:44:19 PM

21. It's relevant because I watched every episode of Big Brother. And this site is written just for me.

Well, clearly it isn't but that remark is just as fatuous as if I was to complain about articles that aren't that interesting to me. But I'm too busy to complain about the ones I'm not interested in. So if you clicked on this link to complain you're not interested in Big Brother, then you clearly have too much time on your hands.

Posted by: Betty Treacle | Sep 19, 2013 5:34:13 PM

22. I've never watched the show. It does not even begin to interest me. none of the "reality" shows do, and I can't even begin to understand why anyone cares about these twerps.

Posted by: Kyle M. Sullivan | Sep 19, 2013 7:41:12 PM

23. "HAGATHA...B*tch please with that "if you are not an American citizen, what are you doing here" comment. This is a website on the WORLD WIDE WEB catering to gay people from all over the world. Get a life.

POSTED BY: WOW"

This website is available internationally , but the person that post was directed to had stated that he was living in a California beach town and identified himself as a Mexican (which is a nationality) . Bite me.

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 19, 2013 9:27:00 PM