Bertolli Pasta Touts Pro-Gay Stance After Rival Barilla's Misstep: VIDEO

Bertolli

Bertolli pasta has been taking advantage of its rival Barilla's misstep by posting pro-gay imagery on social media and speaking out about its support for the LGBT community.

"Pasta und Liebe für alle!" (Pasta and love for all) reads the caption on the photo posted to Facebook (above). The company also spoke with Adweek:

"We just wanted to spread the news that Bertolli welcomes everyone, especially those with an empty stomach."

Adweek notes that the company has produced gay-themed ads in the past.

Check out one spot, AFTER THE JUMP...

Ad_bertolli

Comments

1. Awww... What cute ads from Bertolli. I'll try to find them here although I doubt they ship to Southeast Asia

Posted by: darkorient | Sep 28, 2013 12:12:33 PM

2. With the pope and the pasta on our side who can stop us xD ???!!!!!

Posted by: MArk | Sep 28, 2013 12:13:11 PM

3. Eh... It's still ConAgra crap food. Unless the people at De Cecco open their yaps, I won't be buying from them, no matter how adorable they may make their packaging.

Posted by: T.s. | Sep 28, 2013 12:17:07 PM

4. (Just kidding. Like I'd actually eat that many carbs...)

Posted by: T.s. | Sep 28, 2013 12:19:21 PM

5. Hilarious...Bertolli knows how to run a business instead of running its mouth.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 28, 2013 12:25:34 PM

6. @UFFDA Ha! Could not agree with you more . . .

Posted by: Mike | Sep 28, 2013 1:04:59 PM

7. while I applaud their sentiment - I really wish that products and businesses would just stop being political all together. I really don't want to have to know where my pasta stands on issues

Posted by: Homo Genius | Sep 28, 2013 1:06:11 PM

8. @Homo Genius

Any business that says that they're not political has really sided with the oppressor.

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality."
    - Desmond Tutu

One of the major lessons learned from the civil rights struggles of the last fifty years was the tremendous economic power that minorities actually have to force change. From boycotts to shifting purchases to businesses that support the movement, these tactics have been vital to improving society. I'm thrilled that Guido Barilla said what he did, because now I know that Barilla is dead to me, and I can shift that money elsewhere. That means that I'm moving my support from an enemy that doesn't support me to a friend that does. Together we can and are changing the world.

Posted by: Eric | Sep 28, 2013 1:23:44 PM

9. buitoni has also released a cute progay image on facebook welcoming all. just google buitoni pasta for all. guido must really be kicking himself for opening his bigoted yap.

Posted by: bandanajack | Sep 28, 2013 1:32:36 PM

10. Thank you, Eric.

(No snark. In earnest.)

Posted by: lewlew | Sep 28, 2013 1:49:01 PM

11. Get that money Bertolli. LOL

Posted by: johnosahon | Sep 28, 2013 1:55:26 PM

12. Putting it succinctly & eloquectly, you rock , Eric!
    Thanks.

Posted by: Scooter | Sep 28, 2013 2:31:37 PM

13. Nice, fun ad. I appreciate their effort.

Posted by: Jay | Sep 28, 2013 2:54:04 PM

14. That commercial is so cute and very cool!

Posted by: sparks | Sep 28, 2013 3:32:06 PM

15. Bertolli got a base hit. Now who's next with the amore? Companies are getting smarter faster. Its not that we're so special, its that Barilla is so stupid. Nice, though, to know we matter. Let the bigots go bust.

Posted by: m | Sep 28, 2013 3:43:27 PM

16. This other italian brand had an ad out in less than 24hrs, and it was way funnier :)

reddit.com/tb/1n6v8e

Posted by: topher | Sep 28, 2013 4:16:32 PM

17. That is so cute and clever! I love the same-shape pasta! Bravo, Bertolli!

Barilla. Go f**k yourself.

Posted by: daws | Sep 28, 2013 5:18:34 PM

18. @Homo Genius, featuring a gay couple in advertising shouldn't be political. It's not political to show a straight couple.

Posted by: James L. Greenlee | Sep 29, 2013 3:10:08 AM

19. @LewLew

Thank *you*!

Posted by: Eric | Sep 29, 2013 4:15:35 PM

20. @MARK The Pope isn't "on our side" and anyone who believes as such is a fool.

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 30, 2013 11:11:58 AM