Diving | I'm Not Gay | News | Tom Daley

British Diver Tom Daley: 'I'm Not Gay'

2_daley

Tom Daley tells the UK Mirror he does not swim in the man pond:

"I think it’s funny when people say I’m gay... I laugh it off. I’m not. But even if I was, I wouldn’t be ashamed. It wouldn’t bother me in the slightest what people thought. But I can understand why I have a massive gay following – I spend most of my life half naked in trunks on a diving board showing off my bare chest. I often joke I wear more to bed than I do to work. But I’m cool with my gay following. It’s great to have gay fans even though my friends gently take the mick. I just think about my diving. If people think I am gay or that I don’t focus on my diving enough and go out too much, there is always going to be an opinion – and if I worry about that too much, then my diving goes downhill."

Comments

1. Who cares if he is gay or straight? He is a nice, young man who is supportive of the gay community. That is more than good enough!

Posted by: RonCharles | Sep 8, 2013 12:23:39 PM

2. Like Peter Griffin says "Who the hell cares". Gay men's obssession with good looking guys' sexuality is actually kind of sad.

Posted by: Shawn | Sep 8, 2013 12:34:45 PM

3. Why do these celebrities always have to qualify "I don't care if people think I'm gay" with a "but I'm not"? Why not just a, "Oh the rumors that I'm gay, whatever."

Posted by: zach | Sep 8, 2013 12:46:23 PM

4. Closeted queen not opened with gayness. Who cares. He is NOT a guy we want to happen with it. LOL

Posted by: FunMe | Sep 8, 2013 12:51:39 PM

5. OMG! THEPOLARBEAST! I feel the very same way.

He's adorable and talented and I know we should be doing the gay seems (read acts) gay but MAN I sure thought...think he's a gaybie..

No matter.

Posted by: Ray | Sep 8, 2013 12:55:42 PM

6. Tom Is a great athlete, a good looking guy and straight. All good!

Posted by: andrew | Sep 8, 2013 1:02:12 PM

7. Some guys are just a little flamboyant. While it wouldn't' have shocked me if he came out, I'm not shocked he's straight either.

It was a nice, LGBT-friendly statement, especially to see a straight guy who knows he's gawked at but doesn't react insecurely because of it. He's a good ally.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 8, 2013 1:10:43 PM

8. @SeanMaloney no, I definitely wrongly thought Daley was gay. There was so much talk about him on gay blogs during the Olympics that maybe I just assumed.

Posted by: JWL | Sep 8, 2013 1:27:44 PM

9. He should have just said "i'm straight"
    i know he's cool and everything but when you posit things in the negative, i.e. "oh im NOT GAY" it just lends to the idea that being non-gay is desirable or something...you know what i'm saying... we don't say : I'M NOT STRAIGHT....just be yourself, don't play off what YOU ARE NOT...talk about what you are..

RIGHT?!

Posted by: Kari | Sep 8, 2013 1:38:07 PM

10. @Booker: He's cute, expressive and energetic. Straight guys can have those qualities, but we expect them in gay guys.

Posted by: William | Sep 8, 2013 1:46:07 PM

11. yeah, and i'm Queen Elizabeth

Posted by: litper | Sep 8, 2013 1:47:01 PM

12. So many old queens who still have that "straight" fetish. If the guy comes out, he looses endorsments. It's obvious. Just ask Matthew Mitcham.

Posted by: litper | Sep 8, 2013 1:51:37 PM

13. Strange. I thought he was out. Did I miss something along the way. I guess it doesn't matter anyway. I wish him well in his competitions. Stay focused, son. Go for the Gold.

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 8, 2013 2:08:21 PM

14. You guys were all saying Ben Cohen was gay and Mackelmore was gay and every NFL football player who supported marriage equality was gay. And James Franco was gay and Prince Harry was gay... Everybody is gay or 3 beers will flip them.

This is a deranged fantasy. If they're all gay and can flip that means we're all straight and can get into vagina.

Posted by: will | Sep 8, 2013 2:21:51 PM

15. Ughh, why are so many gay men desperate? Had Tom Daley been "not so good looking" the majority of you wouldn't give a damn. As if any of us on here would've had a chance with him anyway.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Sep 8, 2013 2:26:11 PM

16. It's so odd, what qualifies as news nowadays.

Posted by: Sean | Sep 8, 2013 2:37:01 PM

17. Posted one day earlier - a story about Ben Cohen. He's not just "cool about his gay following" but has done a ton for LGBT causes. He's never had to say, "I'm not gay," doesn't care about what people in the sports world think. He's just who he is, and does what he does. And I respect the hell out of him for that. Maybe it's just me, but I'm really pretty much over the whole Tom Daley thing.

Posted by: KC | Sep 8, 2013 3:34:17 PM

18. Seems like a nice guy and of course he's pleasant on the eyes. Gay or straight it makes no difference to me. I wish him well in his career and personal life.

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Sep 8, 2013 3:35:44 PM

19. Obviously, Will never had anything with a "straight" guy and wants to keep his fantasy intact... And please do not drag real allies like Ben and Mackelmore who never had to scream "I'm not gay!" unlike this closeted little queen!

Posted by: litper | Sep 8, 2013 3:52:30 PM

20. @zach: If people weren't obsessed with celebrities' sexual orientations, then a celebrity who really doesn't care about the sexual orientation of people he or she meets (possible sex partners excepted) would not end up saying "I don't care if people think I'm gay but I'm not."

One reason for clearing it up is to make sure that the people he is sexually attracted to hit on him when he goes out for the evening, and for someone in his late teens to early twenties, that's kind of important.

Posted by: Bill | Sep 8, 2013 3:56:22 PM

21. I don't care, as long as his personality remains.

Posted by: Randy | Sep 8, 2013 5:13:35 PM

22. Sorry, that doesn't ring true. My "Gaydar" is 99.99% accurate and everything about him screams gay - which is a good thing. Perhaps he is trying to get off the target list while in Russia. Come on out Tom, the water is fine!

Posted by: Robert | Sep 8, 2013 5:26:10 PM

23. One of the things that annoys me in many comment about a certain celebrity 'obviously being gay' is the evidence cited about a degree of campness or effeminacy which is regarded as proof that a person cannot be straight. We argue rightly that gay men can be non-camp and would dismiss the naivity of anyone who claimed that someone was too 'masculine' to be gay , so why shouldn't it work in reverse. Why do we find it hard to accept that a heterosexual man might also be camp or effeminate in any way.

Posted by: Den | Sep 8, 2013 5:29:30 PM

24. I love Tom Daley. He is cool, sexy, open, and confident. I wish him much success and happiness, and the satisfying love and respect of another really hot, good person.

Posted by: Mick | Sep 8, 2013 6:13:00 PM

25. Wow, I am reading through these comments, I'm sorry, but if you can't tell if Daley is gay, whether or not he wants to admit it, you really just need to go have your head checked because the boy is 110% gay.

And, no, this is hardly wanting some cute guy to be gay. This is seeing a duck that walks, talks and giggles like a duck and calling it out to be a duck.

Posted by: Michael | Sep 8, 2013 6:19:29 PM