Gay Marine’s Unit Gives Him ‘Served with Pride’ Rainbow Flag on Last Full Day of Service

Marine

Wrote the Marine on Reddit:

"Today's my unofficial last day as a Marine. This is what my unit gave me to say goodbye."

Comments

1. Francis #1 says

When I see things like this, I question why almost 70% of LGB troops are still closeted. I guess culture regarding homosexuality and acceptance is vastly different from unit to unit.

2. Mark says

People are closeted till THEY are comfortable coming out. Others may come out sooner than others. I don’t question why any gay military men and women are closeted. I question those who say they should come out any sooner than they are ready to.

3. Francis #1 says

Of course, Mark, you’re right. I’m not questioning why they don’t come out more than questioning that, two years after DADT, most LGB troops are still closeted and the stats aren’t particularly good regarding the health of most LGB troops in terms of PSD and things like alcohol abuse. And when you see something this beautiful, accepting, you would think the culture in the military would be accepting to the point most troops wouldn’t be closeted. But I guess that’s too simplistic.

Anyway, this is really awesome, almost emotional.

4. Ted B. (Charging Rhino) says

Many GLB military personnel who are staying in the closet may be doing-so as they still legally-reside in their home states were they don’t have GLB legal rights and protections.

5. Ted B. (Charging Rhino) says

6. Bob says

@ FRANCIS #1 — In my view, it is naive and thoughtless to think that every service member should come out.
    Besides family and religion issues, there is the simple fact of not wanting to be treated as different, not wanting to listen to the lame remarks (whether jokes or jabs), etc.
    Are we forgetting that in many units “Christian posters and slogans” are on the walls of barracks, and non-coms are pushing their religion on troops? Being surrounded by that makes one prefer to be stealthy.

7. dean says

Again, amazed by the men and women in uniform who have worked so hard for us all. Another Proud American day. A big hoo ra to our military. As well as those in Gov also working for the betterment of all of us. Sadly, troll hunting is really becoming unneccessary because so many out there are making this a better world. I wish us all success in that task. That’s all.

8. Kevin says

That’s true, Bob, but (as most of us know) what changes those attitudes, what stops the lame remarks, etc. is the willingness of gay people to stand up and say “Oh really? That’s what you think of gays? Is that what you think of me?” Nothing breaks down that kind of prejudice faster than finding out someone you know and respect and care for is gay.

And additionally, being “stealthy” itself can put a great deal of stress on a person – stress that can interfere with one’s ability to do one’s job, which in this case is defending the country.

I’m not saying they have any obligation to come out. But the more who do, the better things will be for everyone. Thankfully, a growing number are doing so.