Film | George Clooney | News | Sandra Bullock | Space

Is the New Trailer for 'Gravity' Worthy of the Best Space Film Ever Made? — VIDEO

Gravity

Sandra Bullock becomes untethered in a Space Shuttle-ISS disaster and spins out into the void in the new trailer for Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity, which also stars George Clooney.

Director James Cameron (Avatar, Titanic) thought it was out of this world, he told Variety:

“I was stunned, absolutely floored. I think it’s the best space photography ever done, I think it’s the best space film ever done, and it’s the movie I’ve been hungry to see for an awful long time....What is interesting is the human dimension...Alfonso and Sandra working together to create an absolutely seamless portrayal of a woman fighting for her life in zero gravity.”

Check out the trailer and see if you're impressed, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_gravity

Comments

1. I am sooooo excited for this movie!

Posted by: JMC | Sep 4, 2013 9:10:13 PM

2. Wow! Intense. I can't wait to see it.

Posted by: matt | Sep 4, 2013 9:11:29 PM

3. Looks lame. Sure the special effects might be good but the physics look all wrong. Best space movie ever was 2001

Posted by: Will | Sep 4, 2013 9:18:14 PM

4. They worked with NASA to make this movie, so I'm sure the physics are all fine.

Premiered at Venice and the reviews were truly out-of-this-world ecstatic.

Posted by: Joseph | Sep 4, 2013 9:24:46 PM

5. I'm a big fan of Cuaron and Lubezki, so I'm definitely seeing this film on opening night in IMAX 3D. And since the reviews from Venice and Telluride are all raves, I probably would not be disappointed.

Posted by: Paul | Sep 4, 2013 9:26:22 PM

6. Looks good .. Snakes On A Plane good. Like Speed but in outer space.

Posted by: Kev C | Sep 4, 2013 9:30:03 PM

7. Looks really good. One of the YouTube comments claimed that the director said that the superfluous sound effects are only for the trailer, and won't be in the film. I hope that's true.

Posted by: Merv | Sep 4, 2013 9:54:54 PM

8. I'd be scared to see this movie - too traumatic... like watching 127 hours (another movie I haven't seen and don't want to see really...)

Posted by: steve | Sep 4, 2013 10:29:43 PM

9. The trailer looked silly, or so I thought. Nothing very real about it. I'll wait for the whole movie though as surely the buzz comes from more than this.

Posted by: Ken | Sep 4, 2013 10:35:17 PM

10. Best space movie ever made? Oh please. All you've seen is the goddam trailer.

Step back from the computer. Take sips of air - not gulps. You're hyperventilating.

Now, before making more idiotic pronouncements like that, wait until at least 10 years after the film's release. Any film.

Posted by: BZ | Sep 4, 2013 10:36:04 PM

11. "best space movie"?? oh no you di'nt. cineastes will cut you

but is it point break good?

Posted by: gomez | Sep 4, 2013 10:50:18 PM

12. I love the deluded bitter queens who trash anything and everything. ----STFU

I think this looks really good!

Posted by: Geoff M | Sep 4, 2013 10:52:40 PM

13. too much CGI, Her voice sounds thin and let's not talk about sound in space. "2001" all the way.

Posted by: Rob West | Sep 4, 2013 10:55:12 PM

14. @geoff - trash anything and everything? Hey idiot - ALL YOU HAVE SEEN IS THE TRAILER. We're not trashing the movie, because there is no movie yet for us to see. If you want to go see it, by all means do so. The point here is not to judge a movie by its trailer. By that standard, Disney's "The Black Hole" would have been a masterpiece (by 1979 standards.)

Posted by: BZ | Sep 4, 2013 11:03:14 PM

15. Read the headline again. James Cameron was praising THE MOVIE, not the trailer. And let's all admit the man knows a thing or two about space movies.

Posted by: Thomas Smith | Sep 4, 2013 11:20:33 PM

16. I read about the critical raves at Venice, the Rotten Tomato score of critics who have seen it so far is a perfect 100 percent.

Posted by: MIke | Sep 4, 2013 11:34:28 PM

17. The fact that there are no more space shuttles sort of makes this movie an historical fiction, like Apollo 18. The plot seems rather thin, and I suspect she survives in the end.

Posted by: Kev C | Sep 4, 2013 11:37:40 PM

18. James Cameron??? How you talk THOMAS SMITH. His moving are awful.

Posted by: HoldenSF | Sep 4, 2013 11:40:04 PM

19. Bullock miscast? I think so.

Posted by: Kumicu | Sep 4, 2013 11:40:36 PM

20. MOVIES, that is. They're still awful, even with spell check.

Posted by: HoldenSF | Sep 4, 2013 11:40:46 PM

21. I think James Cameron meant the best space movie ever made .. by Alfonso Cuaron with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney.

Posted by: Michel | Sep 4, 2013 11:42:43 PM

22. "His moving are awful?" I think you meant "movies". And I'm guessing you haven't seen ALIENS.

Posted by: Thomas Smith | Sep 5, 2013 12:07:18 AM

23. Looks good. I'll go see it, but Aliens and 2001 are serious competition.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 5, 2013 12:15:28 AM

24. It tells you there is no sound in space then the trailer has sounds of things crashing in space. LAME.

Posted by: Michaelm | Sep 5, 2013 12:26:27 AM

25. So it's a movie basically with Sandra Bullock freaking out the whole time?

Posted by: zeddy | Sep 5, 2013 1:08:23 AM