Gay Marriage | Maggie Gallagher | News | Pope Francis

Maggie Gallagher on the Pope: I Would Love 'Nothing More Than to Be Wrong' on Gay Marriage

The Huffington Post spoke to former NOM President Maggie Gallagher about Pope Francis' statement on gays this week.

Maggie_gallagherPope Francis said that the Catholic Church had become too obsessed with gay marriage and abortion, and said it is wrong to "interfere spiritually in the life of a person" in reference to using religion against homosexuality.

Gallagher uses the Pope's statements to emphasize the persecution she says she has undergone as a "traditional marriage" crusader:

What I find most exhilarating about Pope Francis, is the possibility that we can reach out to those with whom we disagree without surrendering principle. I will say I have not found that true generally. I have found the gay rights community -- the activists anyway, not the ordinary folk -- is mostly asking for one thing: Agree, or be judged a hateful bigot.

But when you are in the fray of battle, it is easy to become fragile and to lose sight of possibilities. Maybe the pope can do things I cannot imagine. Imagine that!

Gallagher also says that if religious leaders move away from actively opposing same-sex marriage there will still be a case against it:

My case against same-sex marriage was always entirely secular. I believe we need a social institution that is about directing the passions of men and women attracted to the opposite sex -- 98 percent of people -- so that our sexual acts do not hurt the children our bodies create in passion. To me, that's the heart of "civil marriage" and the explanation for why the government is involved.

I don't see that changing. I hope I am wrong that gay marriage will change that as the public idea of marriage, but the evidence is pretty strong that I am right: It is very hard to see two men as a marriage, and still see marriage as integrally involved in procreation and family structure.

Would love for you to prove me wrong. I would love nothing more than to be wrong about this.

Full interview here.

Comments

1. dear maggie, your poor illegitimate son is waiting for you to die so he can finally start enjoying his life.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 21, 2013 12:23:33 PM

2. One thing fatso G. will never be accused of is "having an imagination". She makes luke-warm lard-on-a-stick seem like haute cuisine. Please.

Posted by: Geoff | Sep 21, 2013 12:32:33 PM

3. I will never understand this cow. She got knocked up by her "boyfriend" and has hated gay people ever since. WHAT?

Posted by: Frank | Sep 21, 2013 12:33:30 PM

4. @Frank - it's like with Shirley Phelps: had a bastard* child, and decided the best way to cope with that is to...uh... stop gay couples from marrying. riiiiight.

see also: Sarah Palin's two bastard* grandchildren.

* "bastard" is not my chosen word. i just don't want to offend any conservatives like Maggie Gallagher by forcing my progressive liberalism on them. i think we should respect that they don't have "traditional" families :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 21, 2013 12:44:05 PM

5. "I believe we need a social institution that is about directing the passions of men and women attracted to the opposite sex -- 98 percent of people..."

That may be what SHE needs, and she is entitled to her feelings, but she is not entitled to impose her needs on others. She would be well-advised to concern herself with fulfilling her own needs and leave the rest of us out of the equation.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Sep 21, 2013 12:46:25 PM

6. Baggie-Maggie says:

"I believe we need a social institution that is about directing the passions of men and women attracted to the opposite sex -- 98 percent of people -- so that our sexual acts do not hurt the children our bodies create in passion."

Um, anybody got any clue as to what the hell she's talking about because I sure don't?

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 21, 2013 12:52:07 PM

7. The HuffPo didn't "speak" with her. They wrote her an email. She wrote back. I doubt she's willing to sit for an interview.

Posted by: BobN | Sep 21, 2013 12:52:49 PM

8. Maggie is a confused and terribly sad woman.
    traditional this, traditional that.

and yet...had a kid out of wedlock. is married to a man who never appears with her in public, and she doesn't use his last name (Srivastev. methinks she finds it too "foreign" sounding, and won't appeal to her base....)... and her own son won't ever appear with her either.

family, my @ss.

and i don't know how gay weddings in any way affect straight ones.

HECK, when my sister got married three years ago she and her husband chose, as their table favors, EQUALITY BRACELETS.

yes, they used their heterosexual wedding day to make a statement of love and support with the LGBT Communities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiloehlRthM shown here :)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 21, 2013 12:53:01 PM

9. I am following at least 4 male couples on facebook who are married WITH children. Their kids seem to be happy. They seem to be well-adjusted. They don't appear to be deprived of anything.

Ms. Gallagher needs to quit using her narrow-minded bigotry and start using facts and data (not massaged by Focus on the Family) either.

Basically, she is saying my view matters more than the rights of gay couples so that should end the argument.

Fortunately, it doesn't end the argument. We must stand up for EQUALITY. My question for Ms. Gallagher is, if she thinks voting on gay marriage is such a good idea, when do I get to vote on her right to marry?

Posted by: Steve Chapman | Sep 21, 2013 12:55:40 PM

10. As a gay man with a partner (not living in a state where we can marry or we would) and raising two children, OUR two children that we both legally adopted, I can say that Maggie must live in a bubble of her own creation. These anti-marriage equality people simply make no sense, their arguments are not just baseless but actually a lie. A lie they know is a lie but when you have nothing, better to lie than to say "We are wrong."

The real question is do Brian Brown and Maggie Gallagher even matter in the discussion anymore? The've both been proven to be exactly what they are, liars, bigots and sad sacks with issues of their own.

Also, you don't have to post the most ridiculous photo of Maggie you can find. She's not a pretty woman even if you put the best...and that aura of foolishness and pathos that surrounds her is there on her best day.

Posted by: Bart | Sep 21, 2013 1:04:26 PM

11. The child she had is now an adult, AND GAY

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 21, 2013 1:05:34 PM

12. More lies

Posted by: Steve | Sep 21, 2013 1:10:19 PM

13. Maggie, I can prove you wrong right now. Only a small fraction of the 1400+ rights and privileges afforded legally married couples have anything to do with their potential children. So despite your fantasy view, as it stands right now legal marriage in this country is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being primarily about straight people having kids. Sorry to trouble you with the facts.

Posted by: e.c. | Sep 21, 2013 1:25:07 PM

14. Funny how all the hateful bigots get all twisted up when you call them hateful bigots.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Sep 21, 2013 1:32:24 PM

15. I'm one of those regular gay people and she is a bigot.
    Also, why isn't this sow breeding children with a husband anyway? Government marries old people and heterosexuals that are infertile and those that don't want children.

Posted by: yolo | Sep 21, 2013 1:50:07 PM

16. why is her opinion important? who said she knows what's best for anyone? just because she keeps repeating the same thing? so what?

Posted by: m | Sep 21, 2013 1:58:07 PM

17. She shows up to sit across from dreamy Chris Hayes looking like that? Damn, she looks like a beast when she shows up for a TV appearance (and MSNBC must offer a touch-up), imagine what that thing looks like at home in her Snuggie!

Posted by: MFinBH | Sep 21, 2013 2:06:29 PM

18. Sadly for Maggie America is not a religious state by any means. In fact, American is ruled by Democratic principles. For the religious fanatics of this world who believe America should be run by their rules they just don't apply and have no real basis to begin with. Religion in this country, especially the Catholic, Mormon and Muslim religions are so discriminatory and bigoted that the majority of American's want nothing to do with them and would prefer they vacate this country (perhaps for Russia?) the sooner the better.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Sep 21, 2013 2:08:48 PM

19. You've been proven wrong over and over, you just refuse to face reality. Only you can hold yourself captive to ignorance.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Sep 21, 2013 2:33:01 PM

20. Hey,Maggie Gallagher has hateful and bigoted opinions, but let's not allow our own fury at her to denigrate her based on her appearance. That's wrong of us, and it displays the kind of generalized meanness we don't want applied to us. Better to challenge her fiercely on her sad, outdated, and pathetic ideas.

Posted by: David Groff | Sep 21, 2013 2:36:37 PM

21. I take up issue with Towleroad...STOP reporting on her. By doing so you give her a voice.

Posted by: tim | Sep 21, 2013 2:38:04 PM

22. If being wrong about marriage equality is going to make her happy she's in for a real treat if she ever gets her head out of her behind.

Posted by: Shawn | Sep 21, 2013 2:50:09 PM

23. Big girls don't cry - they get even.

This woman got burned by a boyfriend who left her for a man.

Posted by: Maggley Ballager | Sep 21, 2013 2:59:28 PM

24. "I believe we need a social institution that is about directing the passions of men and women attracted to the opposite sex -- 98 percent of people --- so that our sexual acts do not hurt the children our bodies create in passion."

If that's how she feels, then why isn't she out crusading to create laws or at the very least social programs that attempt to diminish the high divorce rate among straight couples with children? After all, according to her, that's where "98 percent of the people are," so preventing the measly 2% who are leftover from marrying ain't gonna do much toward the supposed goal.

My guess is most straight folks would tell her to get the hell out their bedroom and stop trying to tell them how to run their personal lives.

Posted by: Rexford | Sep 21, 2013 3:08:23 PM