Joe Manganiello | News | Tennessee Williams | Theatre

BigGayDeal.com

Joe Manganiello Gets in Your Face with His Clean-Shaven Face: VIDEO

J_manganiello

Joe Manganiello summons some blistering intensity for a one-minute Stanley Kowalski monologue from Tennessee Williams classic play A Streetcar Named Desire, for the NYT 'In Performance' video series. How'd he do?

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Saw this clip yesterday and for me it looked good (not "just" his face, but acting). If I lived near this theater, I would go and see it.

Posted by: Matt27 | Sep 18, 2013 2:25:09 PM

2. Love those surprising grey sideburns. What kind of accent should this character really have?

Posted by: Phil M from Silver Spring | Sep 18, 2013 2:28:18 PM

3. Committed, strong, masculine, works for me.

Posted by: kenneth | Sep 18, 2013 2:30:56 PM

4. Wow. Not only does he make me forget True Blood, he briefly makes me forget Brando. But only for a second. Brando will always be the only Stanley, yet this is a good second and I'd love to see Joe do the whole play. I bet he'd kill it.

Posted by: Jim | Sep 18, 2013 2:53:42 PM

5. Why watch rank amateurs when you can see the masters perform in the 1951 movie classic?

Posted by: kieran | Sep 18, 2013 3:01:33 PM

6. @Kieran, because movies are movies, but theater is the real thing. And you can enjoy and like both versions.

Posted by: Matt27 | Sep 18, 2013 3:14:10 PM

7. He's beautiful. And when you imagine the body attached. Today is a day to be surface.

Posted by: JG | Sep 18, 2013 3:34:44 PM

8. I was "meh" until he did the "till she showed up" line. Wow.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Sep 18, 2013 3:35:09 PM

9. Previews start on Friday at Yale Rep. Runs through October 20. Quick trip from Grand Central. Come visit!

Posted by: Ken in New Haven | Sep 18, 2013 3:48:15 PM

10. Already have my tickets for October 1. Front row! Wowee!

Posted by: Scott | Sep 18, 2013 3:55:38 PM

11. Good casting. However, he appears to be straining a little bit - needs more breath support so he can articulate the words better. He also needs to work on the accent. I'm sure he'll iron this all out before opening.

Posted by: Tony Diaz | Sep 18, 2013 4:03:33 PM

12. I've seen Brando, Treat Williams and Alec Baldwin all do this role, and I don't think any of them ever had that wounded pain thing that Manganiello nails in this scene--he looks like he's almost in tears of frustration and wounded pride. And the intensity of his gaze, especially after that "hoity-toity" line, could melt steel. I think he's going to be a truly exceptional Stanley; maybe in this version Stanley will be less of a monstrous brute, and more of a terrifying, overgrown little boy clinging to Stella. (I'm envious, Scott!)

Posted by: Dback | Sep 18, 2013 4:06:54 PM

13. Possibly the hottest man alive. Not, however, burdened by talent.

Posted by: VSo | Sep 18, 2013 4:23:23 PM

14. Who?

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 18, 2013 6:21:37 PM

15. That was intense

Posted by: jarago | Sep 18, 2013 6:33:43 PM

16. He should grow it back ON THE IMMEDIATE

Posted by: scott | Sep 18, 2013 6:41:25 PM

17. Poor guy has to be picked apart by a bunch of no life queens.

Posted by: Clay | Sep 18, 2013 9:55:19 PM

18. As hot as he is, I would quote Aurora Greenway when she said to Flap Horton, "You know, one of the nicest qualities about you has always been that you recognized your weaknesses. Don't lose that quality now just when you need it the most"

Posted by: John | Sep 18, 2013 10:07:02 PM

19. the accent... it should be a yat new orleans accent, which is sort of brooklyn like with some southern thrown in.
    even brando didn't do the new orleans low class accent.
    i love that accent. it's fading. people don't want to be associated with it. lots of prejudice against it.

Posted by: woody | Sep 26, 2013 12:23:17 PM