AIDS/HIV | I'm Gay | Mister Cee | News

Mister Cee Opens Up About His Fluid Sexuality: 'Today, I'm Free' — VIDEO

Mistercee

Mister Cee, the hip hop producer and DJ from NYC's Hot 97 who was wrapped up in a scandal last week involving the solicitation of a trans sex worker which led to his resignation (and eventual rescinding of that resignation) from the station, is speaking out in a four-minute PSA about sexual health and STD testing for the AIDS Healthcare Foundation.

Says Mister Cee in the clip:

"The decision I've made this week to open up about my sexuality has definitely been the most difficult thing that I've ever had to do in my life. But I felt like this was the time to do it personally and professionally. For me, I felt worried about how my family would be affected, how my coworkers, and my friends, and even my fans would be affected by this decision, because in this hip hop community of ours, it's not cool to be gay. It's not cool to be bisexual. I felt that if I was to actually be honest about myself, that nobody would actually just want to deal with me anymore. But the more that I kept lying, and the more that I kept trying to deceive you and myself, the more that I was being more closed in, and not really being who I really am.

"I also realized that the more that I kept this secret, and kept lying, and kept trying to be deceitful to the people that I loved, I wasn't really helping myself, or anybody else that could need help out there. But with the grace of family and good friends around me, they made me feel comfortable to exercise my human right for sexual freedom, instead of finding myself being self-detained by discrimination, judgment, criticism, and even violence from my own community. Thank God that I have friends and family that's gonna hold me down and make sure that I'm alright. I got tired of lying and hiding. But I'm here to tell you today that you don't have to lie and hide no more about your sexual freedom."

Mister Cee goes on to direct viewers to seek STD testing and treatment through AHF's freestdcheck.org website.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Regardless of what you think about Mister Cee and everything he's done up to this point, I'm glad he feels free and happy and is being more honest now in who he is. And although he came out in an embarrassing, scandal-laden way where he was essentially dragged out of the closet, it can start a desperately necessary conversation regarding homophobia and especially transphobia within hip-hop and urban culture in general. It needs to happen.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Sep 18, 2013 9:35:59 PM

2. He's free but his dates aren't.

Posted by: Kev C | Sep 18, 2013 10:01:21 PM

3. Good for him. Having been dragged out of the closet myself, I have the utmost sympathy for him. The self-loathing he must have experienced is so powerful. I send him my best wishes for a good life. Secrets can kill from within.

Posted by: bravo | Sep 18, 2013 11:03:54 PM

4. @Francis #1 your comment was so on point!!! I am supportive of anyone who decides to live their truth openly and honestly. He may have been forced to deal with his sexuality in a public way, but he will be a much better, happier person for it.

Posted by: Jesse | Sep 18, 2013 11:04:44 PM

5. KEV C LOL

Posted by: Gast | Sep 18, 2013 11:19:08 PM

6. FRANCIS#1 nailed it!!! We need to be more concerned about WHY there are countless men and women like him in our society as opposed to WHO they are. This "sensationalistic" approach and handling of these individuals and situations have harmful effects instead of healing ones.

Posted by: SHABAKA | Sep 19, 2013 12:13:59 AM

7. I am pleased.

Posted by: Kissyfur | Sep 19, 2013 1:06:13 AM

8. This is an issue of fetish, not orientation. When a man seeks sex with a tranny, it's a fetish.

Posted by: Adam | Sep 19, 2013 2:58:37 AM

9. Why is is he talking about being gay or bi.

Is he himself gay or bi?

This guy likes to hire MtF prostitutes.

That is NOT a sexual orientation.

Posted by: MaryM | Sep 19, 2013 5:52:11 AM

10. I'm so proud of him. This is amazing. It's beautiful what can happen when people flood support to those who need it. They flood the love right back.

Posted by: Marc | Sep 19, 2013 5:57:49 AM

11. "...it can start a desperately necessary conversation regarding homophobia and especially transphobia within hip-hop and urban culture in general..."

It's a conversation that needs to happen Period, regardless of 'culture'.

Posted by: Belthazar | Sep 19, 2013 7:41:58 AM

12. F**king Trannies and paying them a salary is NOT a sexual orientation and it has nothing to do with being a gay man! This site is obviously full of low lives and clueless b**ches!

Posted by: Audi-owner | Sep 19, 2013 7:42:12 AM

13. Good on him.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Sep 19, 2013 7:46:50 AM

14. No one in the hip hop audience would understand that liking transgendered people is not the same thing as being gay. They're ignorant for the most part. The black community has a long way to go on most things. Ugh.

Posted by: TemplAR | Sep 19, 2013 7:48:02 AM

15. @Kev C,

LOL

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 19, 2013 8:01:15 AM

16. Templar,

You can't accuse others of being ignorant when you are obviously ignorant and bigoted yourself.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Sep 19, 2013 8:23:49 AM

17. @ "No one in the hip hop audience would understand that liking transgendered people is not the same thing as being gay. They're ignorant for the most part. The black community has a long way to go on most things. Ugh."

This activity was going on long before you were born. Maybe there are aspects to being "Gay" that you are ignorant of.

@ BRIAN IN TEXAS,

I just read you comment. Thank you.

There are Gay people who are determined to define what "Gay" is. Define it for yourself.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 19, 2013 9:16:53 AM

18. Wait, yeah, he isn't gay or bi though, he likes having sex with trans people. Did he come out as gay or bi?

Posted by: Fenrox | Sep 19, 2013 9:51:51 AM

19. Happy for him, proud of him. Regardless of anything, we all deserve respect and understanding. I hope he has a happy and successful life!

Posted by: gina | Sep 19, 2013 10:49:13 AM

20. Well, it is interesting. The other day in the posting with the two Transwomen being interviewed by Marc Lamont Hill they brought up an interesting point. There is no designation for a man who prefers to have sex with Transwomen. And I suppose there is no special word for women who prefer sex with Transmen.

This discussion has been going for 50 years. And it frustrates some Gay men so much. LOL

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 19, 2013 10:52:02 AM

21. So he's sexually indiscriminate. What a shock.

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 19, 2013 11:38:31 AM

22. Adam, MaryM, Templar: first off, go blow. Second, we are the LGBTQ community and your ignorance is revolting. Just to enlighten you a bit: yes, gay men can become attracted to and involved with trans people in a fully-sexual, if not romantic, relationship. The problem is, your minds are so closed to the possibilities of human sexuality that you are unable to comprehend that Mister Cee could be very gay and prefer transsexual women. So, until you know anything about anything, sit down and shut up.

Mister Cee, don't worry about a thing. Your circle of family and friends just multiplied a hundred-fold. I can imagine how difficult, painful it has been for you to live in such a fearful closet. Well, now your out. This will be perhaps, hopefully, transformative for the Hip-Hop community. I hope from this point on, your life is filled with peace.

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 19, 2013 11:52:51 AM

23. Haha Jamal49! Multiplied? Really? Wow, times have really changed for gay people coming out.

Frank Ocean gets bullied daily by black blogs, has lost family friends etc BUT Mister Cee is gonna become Mr Popular? Riiiight.

Posted by: Rowan | Sep 19, 2013 12:56:55 PM

24. Derrick, what about calling them transbi?? If they claim it really isn't because they are so scared to be gay and have lived such a conditioned hetero that they can't imagine a man without a woman, I call them 'trans bi'.

Think this dude is gay though.

Posted by: Rowan | Sep 19, 2013 1:00:10 PM

25. I know what a lot of black people call guys who like trannies; freak. But if Craigslist is any guide, then black people think "freak" is a good thing. They are always looking for "a real freak" to "get your freak on" or something like that. And let's face it, for every passable transexual trying to live a normal life as the sex they were not born to, there is a dozen who think it's an excuse to be and act bizarre.

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 19, 2013 2:41:31 PM