Comments

1. ColinATL says

One of things I love about Towleroad is that we got a peak into the inner workings of Andy’s brain. Mostly it’s hard news delivered with an expected POV that is nevertheless moderate in its tone. That, combined with a dash of astronomy, a smidge of hunk-gazing, and some occasional cotton candy fluff, all combined to produce an informative and topical website that either informs or makes me smile or gawk.

The above post is a prime example of a site losing its way. This has nothing to do with gay issues, and it’s not celebratory of science or anything else in this world. It’s truly awful that Navy training exercises kill marine mammals, but it’s not what I come to Towleroad for. This post is preachy and off-topic, and I just frankly don’t appreciate it. Sorry, Christian.

2. GregInDuluth says

Actually, I look forward to seeing these stories on Towleroad. “Off-Topic” and “Preachy” are in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

3. Grant says

It’s Andy’s blog. He doesn’t come to your house and force you to read it.

If I see a caption on a story that doesn’t interest me, I, uh… don’t read it. Shocking, I know.

4. gomez says

yeah whales and dolphins, go eff yourselves, the us military’s war games are more important than your sorry arses. USA! USA!

5. Robert says

I love that Towleroad covers a wide range of news topics, from the frivolous to the serious, from gay-specific to simply human (and animal) issues. As others have said, it’s Andy’s blog and he and his staff can post what they want. We can either read it or not read it. That’s all there is to it.

After all the hard work that has been to done to try to save and replenish the whale population after the decimation we humans have inflicted on them, this is heartbreaking news. There are currently only around 400 (yes, not thousands, only 400) North Atlantic right whales alive today. They go to Florida for breeding, so this is potentially devastating to their population.

Whales are magnificent, fascinating creatures. I don’t believe the Navy can’t find a way to do the testing that kills fewer whales and doesn’t jeopardize national security.

As for the “go hug a tree” attitude (@mike), this is the kind of mentality that is destroying our planet right before our eyes. Go out in a boat and see these beautiful animals up close, see a female humpback whale and her calf, or watch a school of dolphins and how they interact with each other, and then see if “go hug a tree” is the appropriate response.

6. Hagatha says

I object to killing whales for sport. Given that it’s NOT essential that ANY human kill a whale for food, then all food killing is sport.

This, however, is incidental killing some of which is simply a fact of life. It’s the difference between a Manatee being killed by a fisherman and one being killed by an ocean liner. The fisherman can look out for them, the ocean liner just can’t.

So since there are a bunch of idiots out there who defend Eskimos and Japanese killing whales for sport, then why not take the Eskimos and Japanese on the naval exercise and let them feast on any whales which are accidentally killed?

7. tinkerbelle says

@ Hagatha, I find your comment truly offensive. Incidental killing, a fact of life… interesting concept, I guess human kind’s “necessities”, like continuing to develop and wage wars to stimulate the economy, trump the survival of helpless creatures who can’t control their circumstances. Not really fair play, is it? Who exactly has the right to live a full life, or not, and why should humans be the ones to decide? @Robert, I’m right there with you.

8. James says

Hagatha, I hope you’re reincarnated as a slaughter cow. With your diseased mentality. Human war mongering should not come before precious life- no matter what form.

9. greenfuzz says

Folks,it’s still Andy’s blog and he can do whatever the hell he wants. If you don’t appreciate it there are lots of places to drag your behind to.

10. ratbastard says

The U.S. Navy is a huge organization and it has to engage in relevant training, for obvious reasons. Also, because of legal [domestic and international], treaties, budgetary matters, etc., it has a limited number of locales, some of which may seem odd to the average person, but that’s the way it is. I like whales, fish, sea life, just as much as anyone else. I wonder how things have changed over the years as technology [just technology, we won’t even talk about politics, economic, etc.,] has affected this issue and what the future holds?

11. says

This post had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with you, COLINATL… Get over yourself and carry on to the next post! Comments like yours are a prime example of how self absorbed some folks can be and how that attitude is what’s f*cking up our planet. I agree that twlrd is going down the drain namely for allowing this crap to be posted!