News: Veuve Cliquot, iPhone 5S, Paul Walker, San Antonio, Turkey

RoadHackers set reward for breaking into iPhone 5S fingerprint scanner.

RoadIs it time for the 99% to give back to the 1%? "For their enormous contributions to our standard of living, the high-earners should be thanked and publicly honored. We are in their debt."

ChampagneRoadMassive champagne spill in Connecticut.

RoadCher rips Miley Cyrus: “I’m not old-fashioned. She could have come out naked, and if she’d just rocked the house, I would have said, ‘You go, girl.’ It just wasn’t done well. She can’t dance, her body looked like hell, the song wasn’t great, one cheek was hanging out. And, chick, don’t stick out your tongue if it’s coated. If you’re going to go that far, then think about it before you do it.”

RoadSenate confirms lesbian attorney for judgeship: "The Senate voted 64 to 35 on Tuesday to confirm President Obama’s nomination of lesbian attorney Elaine D. Kaplan for a 15-year term on the United States Court of Federal Claims."

RoadAs bill sits in limbo, Windy City Times publishes comprehensive list of Illinois lawmakers and how they would vote on marriage equality.

RoadNew York City web dramedy Gays: The Series debuts this fall: “My initial goal was to create a show for our community that I felt would help fill a void of there not being enough strong and smart gay programming. I also wanted to create a show that wasn’t solely for our community but that everyone who’s not an actual homophobe could enjoy. Just a really entertaining show that could stand up there with the greats of television.”

RoadGet ready for intensity, it's the new Revenge Season 3 promo.

RoadBenedict Cumberbatch shooting movie about gay codebreaker Alan Turing: "it co-stars Keira Knightley, Mark Strong and Matthew Goode. So all of Britain’s strongest jaws and sharpest cheekbones are in this movie."

RoadZac Efron was actually in rehab twice for cocaine addiction.

GayguysRoadBar apologizes to customers after issuing receipt labeled "Gay Guys".

RoadWhat does the latest 2016 presidential poll in New Hampshire look like?

RoadAmnesty urges Bulgaria to introduce hate crime legislation: "A draft proposal for a new revised penal code under which homophobic motives will be defined as constituting hate crimes was introduced back in May by a group formed by the Bulgarian government. It turned out however that while sexual orientation featured as a ground on which hate crime can be perpetrated, gender identity did not."

Road17-year-old arrested in connection with beating of Jared Fox outside of Cleveland's Cocktails Lounge.

RoadGay theaters struggle to evolve: “There’s always going to be somebody’s first year coming out,” said Mr. Volkoff, 45, in an recent interview in the lobby of the Biograph Theater on the North Side here. “There are always going to be men in their 30s or 40s divorcing their wives because they are comfortable enough to come out, or women leaving their husbands because they’re in love with other women. You’re always going to have people at different points in their lives who need to hear these stories.”

RoadWhen did Sean Hayes and producing partner Todd Milliner take over TV?

RoadWhat's behing right-wing media's Matthew Shepard trutherism?

WalkerRoadPaul Walker's new Davidoff fragrance campaign.

RoadTexas attorney general won't sue over San Antonio's LGBT ordinance: "We are pleased the city council heeded our advice and deleted this provision, which surely would have been grounds for a constitutional challenge to the ordinance."

RoadJudge rules man can hand out Bibles at Gay Pride festival: "A previous ruling from a lower court was reversed, and now Brian Johnson has the freedom to hand out Bibles at the Twin Cities Pride Festival in Minneapolis, as he had been doing for more than a decade."

RoadBritney Spears can't answer questions that aren't pre-approved: "The interview “absolutely had conditions in place about what Sam Champion could ask her. The formal sit-down interview took place before Britney appeared live on Tuesday from the desert,” a source told Radar."

RoadWhat happened to Turkey's gay rights revolution?

RoadFirst Gay Pride held in Muslim nation of Azerbaijan: "According to reports in Modern Azerbaijan, the pride marchers covered their faces, but also raised rainbow pride flags high over their heads. While the rally received little coverage by local media, BBC has reported many Azerbaijani’s have taken to the internet to voice their concern after discovering the rally took place."

Comments

1. I know the problem stems somewhat from the original article, but the title "Hackers set reward for breaking into iPhone 5S fingerprint scanner" is misleading. This was actually sparked by security researchers, not just a random group of hackers. This feature on the iPhone sounds great in theory, until we look at all of the unintended consequences, especially from a legal and surveillance point of view. As a software engineer myself, we need to look at these features and how they will actually be used in society, before we just develop and implement them for the "wow" factor.

Posted by: Eric | Sep 19, 2013 4:31:30 PM

2. Kaplan is a classic case of failing upwards. Her entire career has been a disaster for labor and whistleblowers.

Posted by: Eric | Sep 19, 2013 4:34:47 PM

3. I rarely cry about anything I read or see on this site...but all that champagne. I'm in uncontrollable grief right now.

You know one night out in "Gay Acres" some of the homeless guys managed to get one of the freight train car doors open. It was all wine. Well, of course, no one had a wine bottle opener. So, we just broke the tops of the bottles. It's a wonder not one of us got glass in our guts( Well, not any that I know of). It was one of the happiest nights out in the Gay/Down Low cruising grounds of Fairmount Park.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 19, 2013 4:44:43 PM

4. "...wine bottle opener"? I meant corkscrew. I drink the hard stuff not some sissy wine.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 19, 2013 4:52:35 PM

5. Paul Walker looks like a Sean Cody actor.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Sep 19, 2013 5:05:14 PM

6. @Eric - "Kaplan is a classic case of failing upwards. Her entire career has been a disaster for labor and whistleblowers."

Which is very likely why Obama nominated her.

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | Sep 19, 2013 5:08:21 PM

7. "Judge rules man can hand out Bibles at Gay Pride festival."

This ruling also means that Christians cannot prevent LGBT activists from handing out literature and Christian events held in public. (Insert very evil grin here.)

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | Sep 19, 2013 5:11:10 PM

8. @Derrick from Philly - "I drink the hard stuff not some sissy wine." OooOooOhh. You are so tough. So masculine! Why not just drink what you think tastes good? SMH.

Posted by: Luke | Sep 19, 2013 5:24:52 PM

9. @ LUKE.

Don't shake your head over joke.

I'm like Tallulah Bankhead and Billie Holiday--drinking the hard stuff.

Did you really think I was serious? It bothered me that I couldn't remember the word "cork screw"--so I made a joke.

"masucline and tough" well, only when I drink the hard stuff. 'Course I probably only have 1 more year of liver and pancreatic life.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 19, 2013 5:31:14 PM

10. Sure about that Cher rip on Miley? USA Today reported an apology from Cher on Twitter today.

"I'm a little ashamed," wrote Cher. "I didn't keep my big Opinionated mouth shut.... What I should have said (is) 'I didn't like (the performance) that much, but she's Pushing The Envelope,being an ARTIST. She's talented,& DIDNT COMMIT A FELONY. But somehow my ego had 2 get ITS 2 CENTS IN!"

Of course Towle Road isn't USA Today.

Posted by: GE | Sep 19, 2013 5:32:58 PM

11. @ LUKE,

LOL...you drink all the wine you want. LOL.

Lord, there are some sensitive souls on this blog.

LOL...I'm about as tough and masculine as Little Richard...LoL

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 19, 2013 5:33:27 PM

12. @Champagne, I am so jelly.
    @1%, OMG THAT IS THE WORST THING EVER, READING THAT WAS PAINFUL.
    @Receipt, meh, it wasn't a slur, were the guys straight or something?

Posted by: Fenrox | Sep 19, 2013 5:40:12 PM

13. £3 for a coke? That's the insult.

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 19, 2013 6:40:54 PM

14. Eh, Cher was right the first time. The problem with Miley's number wasn't that it was scandelous; it's that it was terrible. Of course, Miley's quite brilliant - she certainly got the 15 extra minutes of fame she was seeking - and now, if she can follow-up with some decent project - that publicity (no such thing as "bad" publicity) will work in her favor. But the act was awful.

Posted by: Zlick | Sep 19, 2013 7:19:21 PM

15. I think Paul Walker just gets better looking with age. Must be good genes. Of course I wouldn't mind getting into those jeans...

The Ayn Rand disciple Binswanger that wrote that tripe about the 99% giving back to the 1% is just another moronic Libertarian jackass. I look forward to reading his brief obituary, hopefully soon.

What a terrible tragedy, all that Champagne going to waste.

Posted by: Bob R | Sep 19, 2013 8:07:31 PM

16. The BBC wouldn't have reported "many Azerbaijani’s [sic]" as they have editors who can spell.

Posted by: Mike W | Sep 19, 2013 9:13:10 PM

17. "Gays: The Series follows a group of twenty-something gay men living and working in America’s Big Apple."

Of course, it does. Because we all know that being gay means being young and beautiful, right?

Posted by: Rick | Sep 20, 2013 12:03:55 PM

18. Paul Walker is hot. His blue eyes is like the ocean. He's the reason why I watch all the Fast and Furious movies.

Posted by: embee | Sep 20, 2013 3:28:58 PM

19. "Can you imagine a gay-themed TV show or film that only includes people over the age of 40? No, you can't can you?"

Posted by: Mike W | Sep 20, 2013 8:37:07 PM