Gay Marriage | Military | News

Gay Married Military Couple Talks About What It Means to Get Benefits in New Pentagon Clip: VIDEO

Spousalbenefits

The Department of Defense has released a video marking the official extension of spousal and family benefits to same-sex couples, talking to Senior Chief Dwayne Beebe-Franqui and Jonathan Beebe-Franqui about what the change (though some of them will have to drive for it) means to them.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This is the kind of video report that makes me go AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Posted by: George F | Sep 26, 2013 9:18:04 AM

2. Way cool! The homo lifestyle, in living color. (Let's hear it for reusable bags; the environment needs a hand, too.)

Posted by: Ken | Sep 26, 2013 9:25:31 AM

3. They look so nice and I agree with George F, aaawww. Lovely.

Posted by: Matt27 | Sep 26, 2013 9:44:26 AM

4. I worked very hard to help elect and re-elect Barack Obama, expecting incremental but good changes for gays and lesbians, among other issues. But I am completely blown away by the Department of Defense releasing this lovely video. Something completely unimaginable even a couple of years ago.

Posted by: Robert | Sep 26, 2013 11:31:00 AM

5. I love watching history be made. Kudos to Obama. (And I love that they stop in the doorway on the way out of the store so the civilian can hand his husband his hat. Such a normal married couple thing to do.)

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Sep 26, 2013 12:42:55 PM

6. It's hard for young gays to realize how far we have come in such a relatively short time. We have a long way to go, but I remember how as a young gay man I lived in terror that anyone would find out that I was gay. In those days (the late 1950's) being gay meant if anyone found out, you could go to jail and be branded for life, or you could be forced into a mental hospital against your will, be lynched by an angry mob, or any number of equally unpleasant things. It's a new world we live in and I am so glad that I got to live to see all the changes that have happened and continue to happen!

Posted by: Howard | Sep 26, 2013 12:48:31 PM

7. Howard, thanks for your post. It's easy for some to forget that this change did not occur overnight, and not without bloodshed and heartache.

Posted by: DC Insider | Sep 26, 2013 2:25:20 PM

8. Shopping? Is that part of the gay agenda I hear so much of?

Posted by: bollox | Sep 26, 2013 5:48:09 PM

9. Shopping? Is that part of the gay agenda I hear so much of?

Posted by: bollox | Sep 26, 2013 5:48:09 PM

10. Wow that was really sweet. Yes and thank you Howard that this brave new world did not come with out pain and sacrifice.

Posted by: jarago | Sep 26, 2013 5:59:21 PM