Aziz Ansari | James Franco | News | Seth Rogen

Seth Rogen Throws Down Some Gay Jokes at James Franco's Expense: VIDEO

Franco_rogen

Buzzfeed offers a rundown of the many gay jokes at James Franco's Comedy Central roast, which was broadcast last night. Seth Rogen got "first blood" and let the innuendo flow. By well into the night the gay jokes were so prevalent that Aziz Ansari wondered aloud why there were so many of them?

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Head over to Comedy Central to see the rest.

Aziz Ansari asks the question:

Comments

1. What all the online hypocrites lose their shizz over this....

Posted by: Ankerich | Sep 3, 2013 8:32:13 AM

2. No Phyllis Diller? Don Rickles? No me.

Posted by: MIke | Sep 3, 2013 8:35:39 AM

3. The Aziz Ansari clip was amusing.

Posted by: yuninv | Sep 3, 2013 9:12:48 AM

4. Gay jokes at James Franco's roast are entirely appropriate.

Posted by: Fenrox | Sep 3, 2013 9:41:15 AM

5. Wow, that Aziz joke is amazing.

Posted by: Fenrox | Sep 3, 2013 9:44:31 AM

6. If this is comedy, count me out. Why is the idea that he may or may not suck d-ck so hilarious? Buzzfeed said there were racist and sexist jokes too.

If the point of a roast is to be scathing to the honouree, then gay = insult. I thought we'd moved past that.

Yes, I know you're all going to say "Get a sense of humour!", but when well respected comedians make jokes like these, it makes it okay for everyone else to make being gay a punch line. I'm just fed up with it.

Posted by: Jack Ford | Sep 3, 2013 9:46:57 AM

7. "Gay jokes at James Franco's roast are entirely appropriate."

completely appropriate, because he chooses to be ambiguous about sexuality, making himself a huge target. if the jokes are bad, don't laugh, but it's a non-issue. it's a roast, get over it.

Posted by: northalabama | Sep 3, 2013 10:18:08 AM

8. It's his right but I don't think he will still be glass closeted by the time he hits 40....
    we have to give him props for never being a Hugh Jackman...

Posted by: Rowan | Sep 3, 2013 10:23:31 AM

9. @northalabama - I still don't see why his sexuality should make him a "target". Franco is such a self-aggrandising, pseudo-intellectual, artsy-farty pr-ck, you'd think these wannabe frat boy buffoons could come up with other things to make fun of. But you're right, if I don't think it's funny, I don't have to watch it. It just baffles me that these are supposed to be the some of the best comedians that the US has to offer and the whole roast seems to boil down to 26 jokes that basically consist of "Heehee, James Franco takes it up the ass."

For what it's worth, I don't think Franco is all that gay. I think he does gay stuff and wishes he enjoyed it more because he likes to think of himself as more interesting than he actually is.

Posted by: Jack Ford | Sep 3, 2013 10:52:37 AM

10. If he is glass closeted then he deserves our utter contempt.

He has no excuse in the world (other than greed) to be a closet case.

Posted by: MaryM | Sep 3, 2013 10:53:55 AM

11. Franco's gay jokes are an example of acceptable ways to do gay jokes.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 3, 2013 11:12:17 AM

12. If these were smart, well crafted jokes they could be funny but they were 7th grade homophobic, anal sex unfunny jokes. Ridiculous. How many "Don't drop your soap in the shower!!" type jokes do we need to endure while "comedians" insist it's funny?

Posted by: dredmond | Sep 3, 2013 11:14:17 AM

13. Whoops -- meant to say Rogen's gay jokes.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 3, 2013 11:17:32 AM

14. Whoops -- meant to say Rogen's gay jokes.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 3, 2013 11:17:32 AM

15. Clearly this was a friends-only affair. No big name comedians showed up like in past roasts. He's not that interesting a target for humor.

Posted by: anon | Sep 3, 2013 12:06:34 PM

16. I have zero issue with gay jokes at all, as long as they're funny and reasonable. Most of these jokes weren't and more or less were "James Franco is gay HA!", "James Franco sucks d*ck and has anal sex HA!" At the same time, none of the jokes were really offensive, either. Just lame.

Aziz' joke was by far the best of all of them. I've always liked him.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Sep 3, 2013 12:36:29 PM

17. It was boring. You can't have a celebrity roast when the subject is day old mashed potatoes. I'd rather watch reruns of Joan Rivers' roast.

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 3, 2013 2:01:41 PM

18. It was alright. Past roasts were better. And I couldn't get into Andy Samberg's routine. I even tried watching again but he was so awful I just couldn't sit through it. Jeff Ross awesome as always. So was Aziz surprisingly. It was okay. But I did feel a bit premature for Franco to have a roast.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Sep 3, 2013 2:17:13 PM

19. I watched it and IMO Aziz Ansari's joke was the best of the lot IMO. He dared ask what was up with all the gay jokes.

That said, to me James Franco is really kind of obnoxious and his gay-vague thing is annoying. Most of his student films were gay-related in some way. Then he made a (not particularly good) movie about Hart Crane, who was gay. He performed fellatio on a dildo in a movie. He participated in a "re-imaging" (IIRC he didn't direct it but he was a force behind it) of the movie Cruising. His art show was titled Gay Town.

Yet so far as I know he's never done anything for gay causes, gay youth, or anything like that. I don't know if he's gay or not, but to me it feels like he's using the gay "issue" as fodder without giving a whole lot back.

Maybe I'm wrong. But that's my sense of it.

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 3, 2013 4:26:11 PM