News | Nikolai Alexeyev | Russia | Sochi Olympics

BigGayDeal.com

Russian Gay Activists Arrested for Protesting at Sochi Headquarters: VIDEO

Sochiprotest

Several LGBT activists was arrested today after protesting at the headquarters for the 2014 Sochi Games.

Among them was Nikolai Alexeyev, who has made headlines recently because of a very public twitter meltdown and his use of anti-Semitic slurs.

Americablog notes:

While the activists were quite brave in standing up to certain police arrest – pro-gay protests, or even speech, are illegal in Russia – it’s unfortunate that the protesters included in their group known anti-Semite, Nikolai Alexeyev, who refers to Jews as “kikes,” and recently claimed, in the middle of a weeklong anti-Semitic meltdown, that Jews make vodka from their own sperm.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Alexeyev tweeted from inside the police van earlier today.

Comments

1. Just a sneak preview, folks!

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 25, 2013 3:37:38 PM

2. well that explains my love of vodka....

L'chaim!

lovely, though, that as Putin continues to insist that nothing shady is going on in Russia we have yet more evidence that he's full of S**t

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 25, 2013 3:43:26 PM

3. Russia: it's highschool forever. Wear a leather jacket, get drunk and beat up queers. It's a full-time occupation, a lifetime habit.

Posted by: Kev C | Sep 25, 2013 5:39:09 PM

4. Right, Kev C, because here in the US, queers NEVER get beat up or their faces mangled by a baseball bat or outright killed, nope.

Jeebus, the self-righteousness of people on US based gay blogs is just laughable. Yes, what's happening in Russia sucks, but to pretend that the exact same things don't happen here is ludicrous.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Sep 25, 2013 6:03:51 PM

5. Henry, people don't want to talk about gay bashings in the USA because most are committed by Democrats, minorities and immigrants. And talking about it would make them angry and call us racist. So we talk about gay marriage, Bryan Fischer other less touchy, less important agendas.

Posted by: Kev C | Sep 25, 2013 6:32:14 PM

6. The worst part about being a gay conservative like myself is not having any testicles.

Posted by: Kev C | Sep 25, 2013 6:35:58 PM

7. Well, Henry Holland, the exact same things aren't happening here. Sure, we get beat up, killed, and whatnot here, but we aren't being silenced by government law, or having well documented bashings go unpunished by law enforcement. Things aren't as bad here as they have become in Russia (though that might not remain true if Republicans have their way with the law).

Posted by: C. Foley | Sep 25, 2013 6:57:11 PM

8. Henry is right. Foley is another Lavender Lib. He fears Republicans and Russians. Hasn't he seen Clint Eastwood's son? The American violence against Gays hasn't even begun. Remember "Clockwork Orange?"

Posted by: Gee | Sep 25, 2013 7:04:49 PM

9. Gee, you're right, I do fear the Republican party as it has become increasingly controlled by the extreme right, and anyone in their right minds should be concerned by that development. But I don't fear Russians, as I do not live in--nor plan to visit--Russia. Besides which, I realize this violence perpetrated against LGBT people is not coming from all Russians, only some of them. The problem, as evidenced in this blog post with the arrest of LGBT activists, is due to the government silencing the LGBT community, and passively allowing the systemic persecution of LGBT people, the likes of which have been posted about on this blog numerous times. And to conflate the violence against LGBT citizens here in the US with that of the oppression currently seen in Russia is laughable, at best, purposefully and willfully inaccurate, at worst. Henry laments "the self-righteousness of people on US based gay blogs", but it seems just as self-righteous, if not more so, to ascribe our problems here in the US as being the same as the systemic and governmentally condoned oppression in Russia.

Posted by: C. Foley | Sep 25, 2013 9:49:58 PM

10. Your fear of Republican conservatives reads like paranoia. America is a large country with many divergent opinions. Think of all the progress gays have made in a short time. But this progress has not been shared by many countries, and even U.S. states yet. Gays will always think the are persecuted. And they will be, unfortunately.
    It's save the world, or have a life. Which have you signed up for? Live in fear, or live.

Posted by: Gee | Sep 25, 2013 10:07:56 PM

11. People who want to blame republicans and conservatives, and only them, are out of touch with reality. It's no wonder why gay bashings and discriminition continues so. Because blame is misdirected and ignores a large sector of society that is actually committing the bullying and discrimination. It's like a free pass - blame someone else and ignore the real problem.

Posted by: Kev C | Sep 25, 2013 10:25:11 PM

12. Gee, I did not say I feared Republican conservatives, I said I feared the Republican party as it has become increasingly controlled by the extreme right. This wouldn't be as concerning to me if the Republican party, with it's current extremism, didn't wield as much power as it currently does. And your continued efforts to confuse the issue are more than a little annoying.

Advocating for LGBT rights in Russia isn't effecting my ability to live (though the current oppression in Russia is certainly effecting the ability of LGBT people there to live). Nor is the focus on LGBT rights in Russia or elsewhere keeping us from advocating and fighting for LGBT rights here, or keeping us from seeing that problems do exist here in the US (many, many blog posts here have highlighted such problems). Viewing our problems here in the US as "the exact same" as those in Russia is inflating and overstating our current situation (coming off as self-righteous, and demeaning to LGBT Russians). And you telling me to get a life, due to the implication that advocating for LGBT rights here and abroad is futile and useless, is rather chilling to me.

Posted by: C. Foley | Sep 25, 2013 11:29:28 PM

13. I've gotten more respect as an openly gay man in poor brown neighborhoods than any rich white suburbia.

Posted by: Alexander | Sep 25, 2013 11:30:54 PM

14. My experience is just the opposite of Alexander's. I have no interest in joining or respecting a group that wants me to be disarmed, while their fat democrat children bash and bully me.

And where does Putin stand on gun rights and self-defense for gays? The same as Obama and the Dems. The exact same position.

Posted by: Kev C | Sep 26, 2013 12:20:11 AM

15. Foley: The right wing aspect of the Republican Party is falling out of favor. You refuse to understand that Americans can be just as gay bashing as Russians. The same mind set is just below the surface. Examine where your information about Russia is coming from. Consider the source. And don't get "annoyed" with me. You reveal yourself.

Posted by: GEE | Sep 26, 2013 12:47:50 AM

16. I think it's really telling that Alexseyev, who has held his weird anti-Semitic views for a very long time, was lauded as a hero by the gay press until recently. What changed? He became anti-American and anti Russian boycott, and all of the sudden he's a disgraced crazy person. The nationalism of Americans is just insane.

And I agree with the commenters here that Americans seem totally blind to anti-gay attitudes and actions in their own country when speaking about other ones. Russia is one example, but France was even more glaring. This blog was full of comments blasting France and promising to never visit the country again during the gay marriage debate. "Oh no, people are protesting against gay marriage, boycott France!" Of course, this happened while the US still didn't have gay marriage and had much lower acceptance of gay rights than France. The outrage we manage to generate against all things foreign astounds me.

Posted by: Brian1 | Sep 26, 2013 2:27:37 AM

17. Gee, the key point to what you say is that Americans CAN be just as gay bashing as Russians. But they generally aren't as gay bashing, if for no other reason than the fear that law enforcement and the justice system won't tolerate that kind of behavior. True, law enforcement and the justice system have a spotty record in the US when dealing with gay bashing consistently and uniformly--and should definitely be improved--but at least they are generally on our side, which is more than can be said about the situation in Russia. Which is why I say the problems for LGBT people in the US should not be conflated with the problems for LGBT people in Russia. While there may be some similarities in mind set, the actual act of gay bashing here in the US is not "exactly" the same as what's being seen Russia at this time. (And my annoyance was meant to be in reference to you, seemingly, trying to distract from my core message that anti-gay violence in the US =/= anti-gay violence in Russia, by side-tracking into my views of the Republican party.)

All of that being said, I agree with Brian1 that Americans can SEEM blind when speaking about the problems in other countries. It's American exceptionalism and entitlement at it's finest (note sarcasm). But I view such comments as the expression of mob mentality rather than the critical analysis of individuals. Also, it's a lot easier to call for a boycott of a country when you don't live there. -.- (And as to France, I did find it rather startling to see just how massive the gay marriage protests were. I hadn't realized that France had such a large anti-gay marriage following. But it was heartening to see the government doing the right thing, whether it was for the right reasons or not. The Democratic party could learn a few things about what it's like to have balls.)

Posted by: C. Foley | Sep 26, 2013 1:43:04 PM