Bullying | Education | News | South Carolina

BigGayDeal.com

Lawsuit Alleges South Carolina Teacher Bullied a Gay Student to the Point of Suicide: VIDEO

Westashley

A lawsuit filed by a mother in South Carolina alleges that a teacher in South Carolina's Charleston County School District bullied a gay student to the point at which he attempted suicide. It says the school district failed to adequately put an end to or prevent the teacher's actions, WCIV reports:

According to court filings from Aug. 30, the West Ashley High School math teacher is not named as a defendant but his name fills the pages in the filing, alleging during the spring, he told called the plaintiff gay in front of other students on a daily basis. The student's attorney said the 16-year-old student is still undergoing treatment and has withdrawn from school to be home-schooled.

The student was called "gay," "gay boy," "Mrs. Pete," and "Mrs. Peter," according to the lawsuit.

The suit alleges the teacher also encouraged other members of the class to pick on and belittle the plaintiff. The student reportedly felt like he could not report the bullying to school administrators and "could not appeal to any of his classmates due to the alienation and isolation."

The bullying got so bad the student tried to take his own life by hanging, the suit alleges.

The lawsuit seeks damages and a jury trial.

Watch WCIV's report, AFTER THE JUMP...

WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

Comments

1. I'm a math teacher and I'm gay. I have a message for the math teacher who did this. If you ever do that to another kid I'll make damn sure you'll never be able to multiply again.

Posted by: Frank | Sep 8, 2013 1:46:33 AM

2. *ba dum tshhh*

Posted by: JMC | Sep 8, 2013 2:32:43 AM

3. Is there any way we can start the Civil War again and just let these morons win this time? Since IQ plummets once you go below the Mason-Dixon line we'd all be better off not being lumbered with these people.

Posted by: Susan Montgomery | Sep 8, 2013 5:48:47 AM

4. While gay students should be respected everywhere, I think that the family should be offered relocation at the school district's expense as an option. This is less likely to happen in a state that recognizes same-sex marriages, has goo non-discrimination laws, etc.

Posted by: Mark | Sep 8, 2013 9:15:18 AM

5. Even money that the teacher will get busted with a same sex prostitute or some other thing like that soon enough.

Posted by: cam | Sep 8, 2013 9:49:00 AM

6. Wonder why the teacher wasn't named in the suit? I'd have gone after the ahole for all he's worth!

Posted by: jim | Sep 8, 2013 12:12:27 PM

7. Actually, I looked up the Charleston County official property records, and Alan F. Ingram (and wife Kathy) live at 544 Castle Hall Road in Mt. Pleasant. That is the only Alan Ingram who owns property in Charleston County. I know that if I educated children and my performance were less than what it should be, I would want some feedback to improve my teaching methods.

Posted by: WewaBoi | Sep 8, 2013 12:51:44 PM

8. Above all else, thank god the kid survived his suicide attempt. This world still needs him.

Posted by: Lee | Sep 8, 2013 2:53:00 PM

9. The mother is just looking for money.....

Posted by: Ankerich | Sep 12, 2013 3:32:35 PM

10. Alan Ingram needs to be hunted down and dealt some real justice. Anyone have a home address and phone number for him? (544 Castle Hall Rd, Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
    843-881-6528?) And the principal, superintendent, and school board need to do there jobs and fire him immediately or suffer the consequences of their failure to do so. I hope the bullied kid's family sues the school district, the administrators, and Alan Ingram into bankruptcy.

Posted by: rob | Sep 14, 2013 9:40:46 AM