Law - Gay, LGBT | News | Peter LaBarbera

Anti-Gay Activists Plot Class Action Lawsuit Against Homosexuality: AUDIO

Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 4.09.12 PMAt a Tea Party Unity event this week, former Baptist pastor Rick Scarborough (left) was joined by Americans for Truth about Homosexuality president Peter LaBarbera (right) in a discussion about how to stop the growing tide of LGBT equality in the U.S. Their solution? File a class-action lawsuit against homosexuality just like when the attorney generals of 46 states filed a lawsuit against the big tobacco companies in 1998.

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Any thoughts on who they'd name as the defendant in this hilariously asinine lawsuit?

Comments

1. The stupid is strong in these two, little padawan.

Posted by: dommyluc | Oct 19, 2013 12:06:12 PM

2. You cannot sue anyone on the basis of a condition. It's like sueing all persons who are blond (like I). You would have to prove what actual physical harm the plaintiff has caused; homosexual persecution and suffering is well documented and trumps hands down anything these mental cases could come up. I'm still not seeing who they actually could make the plaintiff; but I really hope they try, because they would have even the international courts coming after them, and it could stimulate a well-placed offense and win against these baboons. Who have gay encounters in the wild by the way.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Oct 19, 2013 12:26:32 PM

3. Great teabags, I made a gaff — I meant defendant, not plaintiff. No oolong for tinky tonight.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Oct 19, 2013 12:30:10 PM

4. I'd call this lawsuit part desperation but also, a lot of it is, obviously...these people simply hate us. This is what they see as a way to seek to validate their hatred of us. To go after our community. Again. They have to try to find a way to "stop us" from destroying the country.

Let's keep an eye on this and see how things develop.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Oct 19, 2013 12:35:05 PM

5. "WAH!!! Reality doesn't conform to my religious beliefs so I'm gonna SUE!"

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 19, 2013 12:36:18 PM

6. What century is the tea party from? Are we still in the 1970's? Scarboroughs remarks are both antiquated and ludicrous, yet not long ago the very notion of gay marriage was inconceivable if not downright frightening. By 1970 as gay rights became more vocal, pamphlets were produced filled with dire warnings of the dangers of homosexuality and the "coming revolution" invading the mainstream. http://wp.me/p2qifI-1Cp

Posted by: sally Edelstein | Oct 19, 2013 1:12:32 PM

7. Oooh, oooh, I hope they sue the ghost of Oscar Wilde... what awesome quips he have for them in the courtroom.

Posted by: Pitt90 | Oct 19, 2013 1:36:00 PM

8. Defendants: Cher, Barbra, Bette, Madonna, Celine, and Gaga. And Whitney's estate.

Posted by: GeoffreyPS | Oct 19, 2013 1:44:18 PM

9. Yeah. I once brought a class-action lawsuit against the color burnt-orange. Still waiting to hear. That was 20 years ago. I've already planned what I'm going to do with all the money, also. Any day now.

Posted by: Geoff | Oct 19, 2013 1:45:55 PM

10. What everybody said.

There's been too much Tea Batty this week.

I just don't have the strength.

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 19, 2013 1:47:06 PM

11. There's something weird with this people.
    There's a lot of people who hate in the world (other races, homosexuals, foreigns, etc). Hate is comfortable, you always have someone to blame for your problems (wich is way easier than assume your responsability in them).
    But spend so many time on spreading hate is a very different story. There must be a reason to so much hate and dedication to ruin life of other people.
    If they weren't dangerous it would be very sad

Posted by: jjose712 | Oct 19, 2013 1:48:18 PM

12. Yet more evidence that there's no point in writing satire nowadays. Nothing we invent can match reality.

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Oct 19, 2013 2:41:07 PM

13. I hope they try this alleged law suit so that maybe some first year law student or some first grader can tell these brain trusts their law suits won't fly..........

Posted by: Bernie | Oct 19, 2013 3:17:17 PM

14. So they'd rather spend their money doing something like this, which is based in judging others, as opposed to feeding the hungry and providing shelter to the homeless? Shows how much they've perverted Christ's message.

Posted by: Rexford | Oct 19, 2013 4:00:47 PM

15. It's a fundraising ploy but not a particularly good one. It's along the lines of "let's raise some money and pay ourselves to fight this battle in court". It doesn't meet any filing standards for any type of court case, so hopefully their donors won't fall for it.

Posted by: anon | Oct 19, 2013 4:32:55 PM

16. It's a fundraising ploy but not a particularly good one. It's along the lines of "let's raise some money and pay ourselves to fight this battle in court". It doesn't meet any filing standards for any type of court case, so hopefully their donors won't fall for it.

Posted by: anon | Oct 19, 2013 4:33:09 PM

17. Another self hating closet case trying to make the rest of us deal with his baggage.

Posted by: cam | Oct 19, 2013 4:50:08 PM

18. When the definitive history of the triumphant gay rights movement is finally written, the stupidity of our enemies will play a huge part in the story of our ultimate success. We're doing battle against low-grade morons.

Posted by: Jim | Oct 19, 2013 5:45:06 PM

19. These Anti-Gay Activist are forgetting that having HIV or perceived to have it is covered against discrimination under the ADA Americans with Disabilities Act. And to put "Homosexuality" on trail would go further towards defining gays as a protected suspect class.

Posted by: Ryan Nix | Oct 20, 2013 3:14:49 AM

20. I've always thought that their claim that homosexuality is a choice was slanderous and if anything, is worthy of a lawsuit.

Posted by: Jesse | Oct 20, 2013 4:56:07 AM

21. I'm filing a lawsuit against my parents for "turning" me into a homosexual at the tender young age of 5. My dad loved to sneak into my bed at night and hold me...just making me feel loved. I've been queer ever since...and it's his fault. I smell a lawsuit!

Posted by: Johnnybegood | Oct 20, 2013 12:34:09 PM

22. Sounds silly, but I think it's a reaction to Scott Lively's prosecution for crimes against humanity. This is war, folks, and the enemy will think of any way they can to defeat us and kill us, whether figuratively or literally. Never underestimate the power behind evangelicals and their seeming buffoonery. We laugh but they are serious. They hate us, virulently. And they really do want to see us eradicated.

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 20, 2013 1:48:08 PM

23. @john patrick: Some guy allegedly once sued the Catholic Church because his house was destroyed by a tornado (might have what happened wrong), and his insurance company refused to pay anything because they did not cover "acts of God." So he sued the Catholic Church due to its claim to be God's official earthly representative.

While the judge may have been amused, the case was nevertheless dismissed.

Maybe they can sue companies that make tofu - another right-wing nut claimed that tofu makes people gay. You can read the article at http://www.wnd.com/2006/12/39253/ but make sure you do not have a cup of hot coffee in your hand.

Posted by: Bill | Oct 21, 2013 2:57:50 AM

24. They've got it backwards, the LGBT People of The World, should sue the crap out of these hate mongers!

Posted by: RexT | Oct 21, 2013 5:17:54 PM