Comments

1. Daniel says

Partly it is the times, but Cher has been incredibly supportive of GLBT people. She has courted us and spoken up for our rights. Judy Garland, of course, never did that–mostly because of the times she lived in, but when she was made aware of her gay following she was a little uncomfortable with it.

2. oncemorewithfeeling says

Does everybody, including the post’s author, really not get that Cher is saying that she’s constantly having more breakdowns than even a woman who was famous for her epic breakdowns?

Is it really lost on everyone that this is not a boast, but a self-deprecating joke?

At least this site’s never boring.

3. Henry Holland says

“I think what you guys like — is you like a strong woman that’s having a breakdown constantly”

Hello Cher, the 60’s are calling, they want their tired, dated, offensive stereotypes back, even if they are “self-deprecating”. Oh and when are you going to apologize for playing Sun City in South Africa during apartheid?

4. Derrick from Phill says

@ “Someone needs to tell Little Kiwi about that baldness cure!”

Thanks, ONCEMOREWITHFEELING.

I was getting ready to say something stupid–comparing Cher’s life to Garland, Helen Morgan, Billie Holiday, Marilyn Monroe, Dorothy Dandridge, Janis Joplin, etc . You stopped me. Thanks.

5. Derrick from Philly says

OK, something is going terribly wrong here today with me trying to comment. It can’t be booze because I don’t have any.

I just want to say I appreciate the comment posted by ONCEMOREWITHFEELING–that’s all.

bye.

6. tinkerbelle says

@Derrick — sorry you didn’t make your comment fully, the beginning was pretty much my unborn fetus of a comment. Thanks, you saved me the trouble. Of course, I’m kind of assuming that you really wanted to say that Cher hasn’t had it that bad (no, no, get back…). Although who knows, it’s all relative. And subjective.

7. UFFDA says

Gays love dramatic diva types because they are wanton and outrageous and get away with it. Ru Paul too. But most men have to be more careful than that (the Patriarchy) and gay men, because they have been so savaged by the culture generally, reject (or want to) the oppression which the diva (Cher in this case, but also Madonna and now Gaga and others as well) also rejects. When done with genuine style and aplomb it can raise a wild cry of joy and of satisfaction.

8. UFFDA says

9. will says

It’s funny about Judy. I do love her (especially in her duets with Barbra on her tv show), but she was not supportive of her gay audience.

Here’s a youtube vid of Judy supposedly defending her gay audience (she’s out of it here; barbiturates) — but she’s not. She seems to be slightly homophobic. At 3:30 in:

10. tagg says

Lordy…how would YOU accept an award for being YOURSELF? How narcissistic would it have been for Cher to say you love me because of A, B, C! She was being self-deprecating and a bit honest in at as well. Love her~

11. Tristram says

As a 20-something guy, Cher is pretty much irrelevant to my landscape, but what i do know is that Cher owes her Gay audience everything. In my opinion, she should be giving back to them, not the other way around.

12. Rin says

@Tristam

Cher doesn’t owe her gay audience everything. There is this thing called the 1960’s that happened before we were born and apparently she and this guy called Sonny where huge then and had tv shows and records and everything.

Also, I heard she won like an Oscar or something…whatever that is.

13. tagg says

@Tristam…Cher does have a huge Gay fan base but her appeal spans every generation, nationality and sexuality. The “Gays” are not her saving grace even though she thinks we are.