Allen Ginsburg | Daniel Radcliffe | Film | News | Playing Gay

BigGayDeal.com

Daniel Radcliffe on the Physical Pain of Gay Sex and the Heartbreaking Task of Finding Yourself: VIDEO

Radcliffe

Daniel Radcliffe gives a great interview to Flaunt about Kill Your Darlings, in which he plays beat poet Allen Ginsberg.

Says Radcliffe about playing gay:

“I don’t think there’s any difference between how one falls in love. People express love differently, person to person, but it’s not gender or sexuality related. The only difference it made was obviously the actual sex scene, of course…”

...I was talked through it by the director. He would be telling me what I would be feeling in each take. Basically, gay sex, especially for the first time, is really f**king painful. And [Krokidas] said that he had never seen that portrayed accurately on film before. He wanted it to look like an authentic loss of virginity. The transformative thing about the role wasn’t playing such a famous character or playing a character that had such a huge influence on society. It was more of trying to find your voice, and finding out who you are. It’s usually an awful and very painful journey, and it has to be—it involves getting heartbroken or failing at something that you want to succeed at. Those are important things to go through, and that was the thing that attracted me to the part.”

Watch a bonus short film featuring Radcliffe called "Wait", shot in 8 minutes by Joe Connor, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_radcliffe

Wait : Daniel Radcliffe from Joe Connor on Vimeo.

Comments

1. Re: sex. It wasn't painful for me. I don't think it's valid to assume that it would be painful, the first time, for everyone.
    Gay sex is just sex btw.

Posted by: toolz | Oct 15, 2013 8:12:37 AM

2. For shame! Think of all the guys on the fence, reading this article and thinking, "extreme pain?! better stick to the va-jay." Bottoming was not painful for me either, maybe due to a good partner and some passion.

Posted by: Dave | Oct 15, 2013 8:24:15 AM

3. That pain is the reason a lot of gay men don't do anal. Depending on the person, there may be a lot or very little pain receptors in that region. Some of us simply aren't built for it, so it's "Exit Only".

Besides, there's a lot more to sex than bottoming.

Posted by: johnny | Oct 15, 2013 8:25:25 AM

4. Receiving anal sex for the first time can be "really f-ing painful" if your first time is with a really thick/girthy guy who doesn't use enough lube and pushes it in too fast. Otherwise, WTF?!?!?

Posted by: Rob1977nc | Oct 15, 2013 8:26:06 AM

5. It wasn't "extremely painful" for me when I first started solo ass play, and it certainly wasn't painful when I first had sex with another man.

A caring partner, plenty of lube, realistic expectations, and a little bit of extra time, and there was barely even discomfort - and what there was was over almost immediately.

I swear, every time I hear straight people talking about gay sex, it makes me feel they're telling me more about the way they have sex than the way we do. And it sounds pretty awful.

Posted by: Lymis | Oct 15, 2013 8:27:40 AM

6. Way to fixate, you pack of very loose bottoms.

Posted by: J Y | Oct 15, 2013 8:31:23 AM

7. Anal sex is for perverts.

Posted by: Adrenan P | Oct 15, 2013 8:35:51 AM

8. It's about time Hollywood stopped glamorizing gay sex on the Big Screen. Aren't we all tired of seeing all those erotic, orgasmic gay sex scenes in American movies? Enough already! LOL

Posted by: Kieran | Oct 15, 2013 8:37:50 AM

9. there is no pain IF you are with someone you want to be with,and you share passion...and are in a relaxed atmosphere.

Posted by: disgusted american | Oct 15, 2013 8:49:59 AM

10. Anal sex is for perverts.

Posted by: Adrenan P | Oct 15, 2013 8:35:51 AM

GROW UP Ahole....and try telling that to the MILLIONS that do it....aight. Educate yourself.

Posted by: disgusted american | Oct 15, 2013 8:50:53 AM

11. Well I'm glad it was all roses for you sloppy bottoms (I'm KIDDING!), but the first time for me really DID hurt, at first. After that it was fine, but if you're going to portray someone losing their virginity it's probably good to show some physical discomfort.

I assume that one of the "other films" Krokidas is talking about is Brokeback Mountain. Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie, but c'mon, in the first sex scene Heath Ledger spit in his hand and POW! just shoved himself in. In reality those majestic mountains would have have been echoing with "OWWWWWWW!!!!!! Jesus effing Christ!" for the next hour.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 15, 2013 8:51:32 AM

12. Like heterosexuals, we LGBT people have a variety of intimacies we can share with one another. I´ve only been a bottom once (my own willingness) and I didn´t like it. I was raped once (I was drunk and vulnerable) and I hated it/him...I have been sober for almost 35 years, since age 35, and I love sex (it just took me a while to get-over my self-consciousness and enjoy myself/others freely).

Posted by: Leonardo Ricardo | Oct 15, 2013 8:53:29 AM

13. Like Caliban, I also thought the director's obvious point of comparison was Brokeback Mountain - the first time I saw the sex scene, I was thinking, "Oh, come on, really?"

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Oct 15, 2013 8:54:26 AM

14. That was all very eloquent, but being anally penetrated isn't *gay sex*. Gay sex *can* include that, but so can straight sex. Or you could have gay sex and be the top, or not do anything anal at all.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Oct 15, 2013 8:58:04 AM

15. Caliban got it in one.

Posted by: Rowan | Oct 15, 2013 8:59:16 AM

16. I'm guessing that Adrenan is a closet case.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Oct 15, 2013 9:03:38 AM

17. Hurt like hell and it put me off it for years. That plus the trouble of clean up beforehand took the spontaneity out of it. Of course, I never stopped trying. lol. You can be a card carrying homo without anal - no one will change the password or secret handshake if you decide you're not into it.

Posted by: Mastik8 | Oct 15, 2013 9:23:15 AM

18. I know PLENTY of heteros who talk about how painful their first time was. It is silly to assume that only gay sex hurts. Not all dicks fit all vaginas.

Posted by: Jaie | Oct 15, 2013 9:25:17 AM

19. It wasn't the least bit painful for me the first time. Nor was it the 1000th time.
    But then, I chose the guy I wanted to deflower me carefully and he proceeded with the same caution I had in deflowering him the day before (he had only a bit of discomfort).
    So, I take that director's warning with more than a grain of salt.
    Good lube, go slow, communicate, no problem.

Posted by: enough already | Oct 15, 2013 9:28:01 AM

20. Some people are bad at sex; straight or gay.

If it hurts, you ain't doing it right, okay???

C'mon, Daniel... I'll show you how it's done.

And again, why do they always interview straight guys about playing gay... when was the last time a gay-actor had to go on about playing straight. jeesh!

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Oct 15, 2013 9:38:46 AM

21. Vaginal sex can be quite painful the first time. (Or so I have heard.)

My first time bottoming I found it to be mostly and unpleasant irritation. My first time as a top my partner found it to be a very unpleasant experience. That is because I didn't know what I was doing and my partner who was more experienced didn't want to tell me what to do since he didn't want to own being gay. Lots and lots of lube, who knew? They should teach this stuff in high school.

Posted by: Charlie | Oct 15, 2013 9:49:57 AM

22. I love Daniel -- but not every gay person has painful "gay sex". Never understand why everyone assumes all gay people have anal sex, which is what I have to assume he is saying.

Posted by: Timothyd | Oct 15, 2013 9:55:32 AM

23. Wasn't painful for me either.

Posted by: Eric | Oct 15, 2013 9:56:59 AM

24. It was certainly uncomfortable for me the first time. But the guy and and I were both twenty and it was the first for both of us. Now Im 42 and I know about it.

Posted by: Jerry | Oct 15, 2013 10:11:31 AM

25. Note to Daniel Radcliffe and his director: Anal sex isn't painful at all, if you're doing it right; in fact, it's just the opposite, highly pleasurable.

This is the first thing I've heard that makes me think it might be a good idea to skip this movie. Oh well...

Posted by: jomicur | Oct 15, 2013 10:15:25 AM