Mark Miller | News

Asking Guys if I'm Gay: VIDEO

Imgay

Vlogger Mark Miller continues his survey of the college crowd.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Part 1 is HERE if you're interested.

Comments

1. Quite thought-provoking. I'm less interested in trying to suss out his purported discomfort with his sexuality, than pointing out an implicit message in his video. By demonstrating that his appearance and phsyical/behavioral presentation (for the most part) does NOT betray his sexual orientation, the unstated message is that there is, in fact, a certain type of appearance that DOES betray sexual orientation. By extension, one could argue that in order to be accepted by society at large, a young gay/bi/queer/questioning man should simply adopt the demeanor and appearance of the dominant (presumably) straight, white culture, and all will be well.

This is just the kind of narrow-minded thinking that opens the door to judgment and violence perpetrated against those who APPEAR differenct, or not of the main stream.

To my mind, the main thing accomplished by this video is to reinforce the notion that there are acceptable visible indicators of hetero-normativity, and deviance from these sets one up for marginalization. Instructive, indeed.

I'm wondering how this exercize would have played out if he had worn a pair of G-Star jeans and an AJAX63 or HRC (no product endorsement intended) tee shirt, and sported a faux hawk and multiple tattoos (much the same as many of us might appear on a Saturday night). My hunch is that the responses may have tipped more to the YES side.

Lesson? Appear "straight" to gain acceptance and reduce stigmatization. But that's another conversation...

Posted by: bliss63 | Oct 4, 2013 5:12:31 PM

2. I love how people say you must be jealous, old, or ugly because you criticize a good looking guy.

Posted by: Perry | Oct 4, 2013 5:14:04 PM

3. Did he just shave off a massive goatee?

I have never seen this guy in my life and I would have said yes, based on your "appearances."

Posted by: Donny | Oct 4, 2013 5:24:17 PM

4. I guess I don't really understand his point for doing this. It seems somewhat based out of narcissism.

And he doesn't seem to even know what the point is, other than telling everyone he has a boyfriend. In the opening he wasn't sure if this was just supposed to be a fun video or a educational video.

Weird, weird, weird.

Posted by: gina | Oct 4, 2013 6:26:20 PM

5. "It would have been more interesting, I think, if he allowed people to be a little more daring with a more neutrally phrased question, like: "Do you think I'm gay or straight... and why?"
    Posted by: Jexer

"I feel like if anyone came up to me and asked me that, I would be really confused. It's so random and out of context."
    Posted by: Gina

I agree with both of the above comments. If someone came up to me and randomly asked if based on the way he's dressed I think he's gay, I would react exactly as nearly all of the people in both of his videos did: "Ummm... No. Why? well, because... the way you're dressed has nothing to do with what you're asking."

If he'd asked, "Do you think I'm straight?" nearly every one of them might have said the exact same words. "Do I think you're straight? No. I wouldn't judge something like that based on what you're wearing."

In fact, he could have asked, "Based on my height, do you think I'm left-handed?" and most of them would likely have responded the same way, even with the exact same words, and with the same confused look, wondering why the criteria should indicate the answer to the awkward question.

As he himself said, he's on a college campus, talking to educated young people. The surprised would have been if such people were dumb enough to give a definitive answer like, "You're not gay or you'd be wearing green on Thursdays when straight people wear red; I can tell that you're bisexual since you have on paisley."

Posted by: GregV | Oct 4, 2013 9:28:24 PM

6. I don't get it

Posted by: Zo | Oct 4, 2013 11:08:10 PM

7. Well he certainly got people talking.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Oct 4, 2013 11:26:12 PM

8. doing a whippet would kill fewer brain cells than watching this. impossible to sit through the whole thing

Posted by: mike | Oct 4, 2013 11:49:22 PM

9. Agree with all of the above - this does seem a bit narcissistic and no real point to it. People who are approached would only say "Yes, for sure you are gay" if you have a pink pantsuit on or bright red jeans and a crop top.

Posted by: jonvincent | Oct 5, 2013 12:24:50 AM

10. Poor uggos, posting catty comments on Towleroad.

Well, one can't spend all day sobbing in front of a mirror, I suppose.

Posted by: FFS | Oct 5, 2013 4:03:22 AM

11. What a stupid waste of time.

Posted by: MD75 | Oct 5, 2013 10:43:52 AM

12. The deprecating comments reveal far more about their writers than they do about Mark Miller. I find his youthful exuberance and social awareness very refreshing - maybe it's the contrast between his college days and my own 40 years ago. I say, you go, Mark!!!!

Posted by: Bruce Mayhall Rastrelli | Oct 5, 2013 12:33:59 PM

13. An emerson boy in LA made the perfect response to these videos:

Posted by: Keith | Oct 6, 2013 6:51:34 PM

14. Got a couple of interviews in and had to switch off. Way too awkward in so many ways.

Posted by: David L Rattigan | Oct 7, 2013 3:31:51 AM

15. Another cutie vlogger who is mining for more subscription hits and succeeding at it from the avalanche of comments on various websites...(aka a Miley in training). Best of luck, Mark Miller.

Posted by: Sam | Oct 15, 2013 3:20:53 PM