Gay Marriage | Military | New York | News

Gay Marine in Viral Homecoming Photo Marries

Marines

Back in June we reported that Brandon Morgan, the marine whose homecoming photo went viral last year, had popped the question to his boyfriend Dalan Wells:

2_marines

Well, the two were married this weekin Honeoye Falls, NY.

3_marines

Congrats!

Comments

1. So happy for them, I hope they will be very happy.

Posted by: Matt27 | Oct 5, 2013 4:41:11 PM

2. Felicitations!

Posted by: darkorient | Oct 5, 2013 4:59:09 PM

3. Lovely!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 5, 2013 5:21:35 PM

4. I wish them a long and happy marriage!

Posted by: Pierce.mn1 | Oct 5, 2013 5:31:01 PM

5. Congratulations!

Posted by: Thomas | Oct 5, 2013 5:32:38 PM

6. Congrats and all but couldn't they at least have worn snazzy blazers?

Posted by: dumbnhung | Oct 5, 2013 5:43:44 PM

7. Jeans in a church??? my mother is giving them major side eye.

Posted by: Lazycrockett | Oct 5, 2013 5:57:22 PM

8. Brandon Morgan is 26 and Dalan Wells is 39.

Posted by: Daddy? | Oct 5, 2013 5:58:17 PM

9. Best wishes to the happy couple.
    @DUMBHUNG- yeah I was king of thinking the same thing, at least tuck you shirttail in.

Posted by: Jonty Coppersmith | Oct 5, 2013 5:59:13 PM

10. I checked the comments just to see who would be criticizing their clothes - I just knew some guys would claim there's a "right" way to dress. As if their marriage will be affected in any way by what they wore that day!

C'mon guys - every couple gets to choose how they will get married, and what they'll wear.

Look at some of the totally ridiculous clothes worn by many "traditional" couples - balloony white gowns costing thousands of dollars, made out of enough fabric to make a 10 person tent, or rented polyester sort-of tuxedos in bizarre colors, etc. etc. "Traditional" wedding clothes are designed to make lots of money for clothes sellers, they don't have any impact on the validity of the ceremony or the quality of the marriage.

I don't criticize actual couples who decide to tart themselves up in those costumes, of course - I say "you look marvelous" because to them, they do look great.

What these guys wore is closer to my own taste, but even if it wasn't, I'd also say to them, "you look marvelous", because to each other, they do.

Posted by: E. Carpenter | Oct 5, 2013 6:25:13 PM

11. Not every wedding has to be some big snazzy pretentious affair with perfectly coiffed hair and a party of 12 that is posted on Youtube and then Towleroad. Congrats guys! And thanks for keeping it real.

Posted by: zeddy | Oct 5, 2013 7:15:32 PM

12. Such great news in a rough week (the shutdown, people lighting themselves on fire, saw "Bridegroom" last night)....so glad that there's this kind of joy in the world as well. All the best to this wonderful couple who've come to symbolize so much to so many!!

(And my partner and I did the full-on suit and tie thing in church when we got hitched in 2000, but due to a 3-month kitchen remodel beforehand, we'd been eating out for weeks and had each gained some 20-30 pounds and looked like stuffed sausages. I say, wear whatever makes you comfortable.)

Posted by: Dback | Oct 5, 2013 7:36:34 PM

13. did any of you critical knuckleheads ever hear of the difference between a marriage and a wedding?

this marriage is a matter of convenience in several regards, for the military (there is no legal marriage where brandon is stationed, dalan's family lives in the area, and other logistical reasons. the wedding is planned for spring. sheesh

Posted by: bandanajack | Oct 5, 2013 8:36:36 PM

14. Congratulations

Posted by: jarago | Oct 5, 2013 8:51:46 PM

15. Not every gay couple has buckets of money to spend on a wedding choreographed like a Busby Berkley musical. They look great, it's all about the love, not the spectacle.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Oct 5, 2013 9:06:28 PM

16. This is so awesome to see hometown men being the poster men of love.!!! Way to go Rochesterians!!! We're so proud of you two. Locals understand need for diversity & love along with all things Wegmans! :) You two brought tears to our eyes in Syracuse!! Congratulations on a long lived committed love-fest!

Posted by: Tim | Oct 5, 2013 9:11:52 PM

17. I know love is love, and age doesn't matter, and looks don't either... but that Dalan guy like maaaajorly won the lottery with the 26 year old. I mean, seriously. Lol.

Posted by: Robert | Oct 5, 2013 10:00:33 PM

18. Thanks for all the great comments everyone. This was not our real wedding yet. That's why we are dressed so casually. We were just getting the paperwork done since we were visiting NY but live in Louisiana. At the last minute instead of getting it done at city hall we went for a small ceremony at my families church performed by the wonderful Dahn Gandell.Our real wedding with fancy uniform, suits, and guests will be at the end of March in Santa Rosa CA hopefully.

Posted by: Dalan | Oct 5, 2013 10:11:13 PM

19. Dalan and Brandon are both very considerate of others (especialy the loved one who want to witness their wedding)In typical modesty, they are calling this "getting the paperwork done" (probably to avoid making the big wedding seem like less) but they woke up this morning as legal husbands. Ain't it great!!!
    Although the big wedding is coming later, they would forego valuable military benefits, including healthcare for Dalan and much more, in the interim, if not married.

Friday was Brandon's 27th birthday, and the Marines had sent him to NY for training anyhow, so I think that God smiled on them, as he has before.

Posted by: Bob | Oct 6, 2013 1:33:01 AM

20. Congratulations guys. I liked the casual relaxed nature of your ceremony. Have fun in Santa Rosa.

Posted by: Rafael | Oct 6, 2013 1:54:34 AM

21. best Wishes for along and happy life together doing those things that make you both happy/

Posted by: *****overTX | Oct 6, 2013 1:58:44 AM

22. OK, I'm going to be the one to say it. I was not amused, warmed, or otherwise pleased with that photo of him climbing his boyfriend upon return from war. It's undignified. We are not girls in men's bodies, so knock off the Gidget routine.

Posted by: Hagatha | Oct 6, 2013 11:39:56 AM

23. Hagatha, aka Rick: we know you'll never find love and will remain a lonely old spinster for the rest of your days. Your jealousy is so obvious.

Posted by: Tyler | Oct 6, 2013 12:56:19 PM

24. Gidget?
    I mean, Gidget???

Dude, all the old guys from your generation should relax. This couple is obviously beyond thrilled to be together. Let them be.

Posted by: DJ Astro | Oct 6, 2013 1:17:00 PM

25. Tyler - I am not envious of your micro-romances in public restrooms. I have told you that before.

Posted by: Hagatha | Oct 6, 2013 3:36:48 PM