Antonin Scalia | News | Supreme Court

BigGayDeal.com

Justice Antonin Scalia Suspects He Has Gay Friends, is an Avid Watcher of 'Duck Dynasty'

New York magazine has published a long interview with Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in which he expounds on flogging, the notion that there are "intelligent reasons" to treat ment and women differently, his morning reading habits (the WSJ and Washington Times), the F-word, friending on Facebook, his favorite sparring partner on the bench, and his favorite TV show - which is Duck Dynasty (nuff said).

ScaliaHe also talked about the Pope and gays, and revealed that he might have gay friends, discussed what he wrote in Lawrence v. Texas, and Anthony Kennedy's legacy on gay rights.

Here's the gay part:

The one thing I did think, as [the Pope] said those somewhat welcoming things to gay men and women, is, Huh, this really does show how much our world has changed. I was wondering what kind of personal exposure you might have had to this sea change.

I have friends that I know, or very much suspect, are homosexual. Everybody does.

Have any of them come out to you?

No. No. Not that I know of.

Has your personal attitude softened some?

Toward what?

Homosexuality.

I don’t think I’ve softened. I don’t know what you mean by softened.

If you talk to your grandchildren, they have different opinions from you about this, right?

I don’t know about my grandchildren. I know about my children. I don’t think they and I differ very much. But I’m not a hater of homosexuals at all.

I still think it’s Catholic teaching that it’s wrong. Okay? But I don’t hate the people that engage in it. In my legal opinions, all I’ve said is that I don’t think the Constitution requires the people to adopt one view or the other.

There was something different about your DOMA opinion, I thought. It was really pungent, yes, but you seemed more focused on your colleagues’ jurisprudence. You didn’t talk about a gay lobby, or about the fact that people have the right to determine what they consider moral. In Lawrence v. Texas, you said Americans were within their rights in “protecting themselves and their families from a lifestyle that they believe to be immoral and destructive.”

I would write that again. But that’s not saying that I personally think it’s destructive. Americans have a right to feel that way. They have a democratic right to do that, and if it is to change, it should change democratically, and not at the ukase of a Supreme Court.

The what?

U-K-A-S-E. Yeah. I think that’s how you say it. It’s a mandate. A decree.

Whatever you think of the opinion, Justice ­Kennedy is now the Thurgood Marshall of gay rights.

[Nods.]

I don’t know how, by your lights, that’s going to be regarded in 50 years.

I don’t know either. And, frankly, I don’t care. Maybe the world is spinning toward a wider acceptance of homosexual rights, and here’s Scalia, standing athwart it. At least standing athwart it as a constitutional entitlement. But I have never been custodian of my legacy. When I’m dead and gone, I’ll either be sublimely happy or terribly unhappy.

Read the full interview HERE.

Comments

1. Just like gay people have a right to think Scalia is destructive and demand his and his son's public execution!

Posted by: litper | Oct 7, 2013 7:29:14 AM

2. "engage in it." He still thinks being gay is a "behavior." What a (fill in the blank).

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Oct 7, 2013 7:30:23 AM

3. "I don't care" sums up perfectly who Scalia is and how he operates. Tragic.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 7, 2013 7:39:57 AM

4. The closest Antonin Scalia will ever come to having a gay friend is knowing a gay man with the forbearance not to give "Justice" Scalia a well-deserved dose of poison.

Posted by: Frank | Oct 7, 2013 7:41:50 AM

5. Who the F was interviewing him?! A food critic? That whole interview is laughable. I would have nailed his sorry fat ass to the wall.

Posted by: CVP | Oct 7, 2013 7:54:24 AM

6. "I know you watched the show 24. Do you also watch Homeland?
    I don’t watch Homeland. I don’t even know what Homeland is. I watched one episode of—what is it? Duck Dynasty?

What?
    I don’t watch it regularly, but I’m a hunter. I use duck calls …"

I hardly think that counts as "avid" or "favorite show," really. But whatever.

Posted by: Steerpike | Oct 7, 2013 7:55:34 AM

7. He is a pig, with a closet case, still-totally-gay kid. Whatev. http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/07/03/scalia_s_son_headlines_anti_gay_ex_gay_conference.html

Posted by: ChrisQ | Oct 7, 2013 7:57:47 AM

8. Lying parasite.

Posted by: Sean | Oct 7, 2013 8:00:53 AM

9. I knew the family because I grew up in McLean, VA. Let's just say he has _at least_ one closeted son.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Oct 7, 2013 8:18:04 AM

10. From what I have read "Duck" has to be the most successful show not on the big three networks. In fact, it beats them sometimes. I've never seen it. Is it an embarrassment (I would assume to trendy New Yorkers) that it is such a success?

Posted by: MIke | Oct 7, 2013 8:22:10 AM

11. I feel like all of a sudden I understand Scalia... utterly and totally. When he says he reads the Washington Times and the WSJ... enough said! ANYONE... and I mean ANYONE who can read the Washington Times as a 'newspaper' is totally a mental ZERO! Now I get it.

Posted by: dancobbbb | Oct 7, 2013 8:47:33 AM

12. Troubling that he apparently still thinks that homosexuality is a "lifestyle".

Posted by: norseman | Oct 7, 2013 9:31:02 AM

13. Fascinating that he chose the word "ukase" when referring to court decisions. Ukases were edicts handed down by the Russian Tsars and had the full force of the Crown behind them.

It implies dictatorial.

Posted by: JoyZeeBoy | Oct 7, 2013 9:58:48 AM

14. Cuz ur real friends won't let u Kno they're gay

Posted by: rick scatorum | Oct 7, 2013 10:49:42 AM

15. Jaw dropping. I am speechless that a man of such a narrow world view is deciding the values for the United States; it boggles my mind.

Posted by: gr8guya | Oct 7, 2013 12:50:28 PM

16. His thoughts on the Devil are really bizarre. Is this man mentally ill? Don't answer, I already know it.

Posted by: Eddie | Oct 7, 2013 1:08:56 PM

17. Any gay who knows this creep is to be pitied.
    Imagine being friendly with someone who is smug and complacent enough not to evolve in his thinking; and of course arrogant enough to think we are all "defective".

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 7, 2013 1:25:55 PM

18. Justice Scalia has friends?

Posted by: Kim | Oct 7, 2013 2:18:05 PM

19. "Have any of them come out to you?

No. No. Not that I know of."

Who would even bother to try, knowing the position of this pathetic embarrassment of a Supreme Court judge? Actually, if some aquaintance of his were gay, why would he or she even be friends with a person like this in the first place? Hard to see any value in this creep.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Oct 7, 2013 2:50:43 PM

20. OK, just read the two comments above, department of redundancy department.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Oct 7, 2013 2:51:29 PM

21. "When I’m dead and gone, I’ll either be sublimely happy or terribly unhappy."

It's amazing that someone in his position doesn't understand what "dead" means. There is no "happy or unhappy" after death.

Posted by: Randy | Oct 7, 2013 5:21:00 PM

22. Is the use of 'Avid' in the headline supposed to be sarcastic?

Because Scalia specifically said he watched Duck Dynasty once and is not a regular viewer the show.

It's just weird you'd pick something so odd to fudge (lie about?) in the headline. There's really no reason be so wrong about such a minor thing. Sure, Scalia's gross but such a 'slip' only hurts your trustworthiness, Andy.

Posted by: lookyloo | Oct 9, 2013 6:34:01 AM