News

Letter from Grandfather Standing Up for His Gay Grandson Goes Viral: READ IT

Grandpa

A letter that a grandfather wrote to his daughter after she kicked out her son for being gay is taking social media by storm. There are few further details as to the authenticity of the letter — the group FCKH8.com says it was "sent in by a supporter" — than the letter itself, but folks online are rallying behind the sentiment.

Dear Christine:

I’m disappointed in you as a daughter. You’re correct that we have a “shame in the family”, but mistaken about what it is.

Kicking Chad out of your home simply because he told you he was gay is the real “abomination” here. A parent disowning her child is what goes “against nature”.

The only intelligent thing I heard you saying in all this was that “you didn’t raise your son to be gay”. Of course you didn’t. He was born this way and didn’t chase it any more than he being left-handed. You however, have made a choice of being hurtful, narrow-minded and backward. So, while we are in the business of disowning our children, I think I’ll take this moment to say goodbye to you. I now have a fabulous (as the gays put it) grandson to raise, and I don’t have time for heart-less B-word of a daughter.

If you find your heart, give us a call

- Dad

Writes FCKH8: "We were blown away by how this guy stands by his grandson and stands up against his own homophobic daughter. This is real l♥ve!"

Comments

1. This is what family should be. Bully for GF. I love the fact that he understands what his GS is going through better than his B**** mother. It also shows that not all of the older generation is not so enlightened as we are led to believe.

Posted by: sjaeger | Oct 2, 2013 1:48:24 PM

2. I find it hard to believe that this is true.. If the grandfather was so full of love he would not "disown" his daughter. He would try and help her to see the light. I think this is probably fake, but if it is real then kudos to the grandfather for sticking up for his grandson. Shame on him, however, for "disowning" his daughter. Family should always stick together and learn from each other.

Posted by: Luke | Oct 2, 2013 1:51:54 PM

3. If more 'religious folks' were called out for their HATRED,BIGOTRY,INTOLERANCE in this manner they would learn to shut their ignorant and heartless mouths.

Posted by: SFshawn | Oct 2, 2013 1:53:41 PM

4. If the grandfather was so tolerant and accepting, why didn't he teach that to his daughter?

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Oct 2, 2013 1:56:06 PM

5. Yup. Smells fishy.

Posted by: Jeff | Oct 2, 2013 1:57:37 PM

6. I would love for this to be true but I agree with the other doubters...something about the wording and even the handwriting seem to come from someone younger. I hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: Michael W. | Oct 2, 2013 2:00:19 PM

7. Also, she named her son Chad. I've never known a straight Chad. She should have known.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 2, 2013 2:09:02 PM

8. I mean no disrespect but I don't trust the source. I would like to believe this letter is real. If it is then this grandfather rocks.

Posted by: justin | Oct 2, 2013 2:09:29 PM

9. We actually have had 'religious nuttery' come out of nowhere in my extended family, most of my family is generally mildly religious but very tolerant, except for one of my aunts, who accepted her husband's religious tendencies and ran with it --- and was strongly anti-gays, anti-democrats, anti-hispanics, anti-health care until she came down with MS, had strokes in her 50's and had to go on government health care, all of a sudden her 'holier than thou' hateful religion disappeared. She became anti-Bush and is now pro-Obama. Hmm...... what a little 'need' does for all her hates...... She had to eat a lot of humble pie. Her father certainly did NOT teach her such hate, rather he taught my mother to respect all peoples and opinions. So I for one, can certainly believe in a GF telling off his daughter for her hateful beliefs.

Posted by: sjaeger | Oct 2, 2013 2:15:26 PM

10. all it takes is just one to love you and accept you

Posted by: Bellah | Oct 2, 2013 2:16:00 PM

11. This feels suspicious to me too. Though the spelling/grammar issues could be attributed to the stress of the writer, they're red flags to me. I'm also bothered that they were fixed in the transcript.

Posted by: Alan | Oct 2, 2013 2:28:48 PM

12. I rarely believe any of these viral letters are real.

Posted by: Shawn | Oct 2, 2013 2:29:28 PM

13. Old Gramps was a closet case.

Posted by: GH | Oct 2, 2013 2:39:28 PM

14. the handwriting is not that of someone who is a grandfather. FAKE.

Posted by: pc | Oct 2, 2013 2:41:38 PM

15. As much as I'd like to believe it's real, I'm going with fake.

The most obvious question is who scanned the letter and when? Either the grandfather would have had to scan it before he sent it or the daughter scanned it after she got it to publicize he father disowning her. Neither of those scenarios seem likely.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 2, 2013 3:05:58 PM

16. did this post turn into a graphology convention? Do you all do it online so as to not have eachother analyze your handwriting? Kind of cool way to do it, really.

Posted by: Matt | Oct 2, 2013 3:08:30 PM

17. It may very well be fake.

I came out to my great grandmother years before I came out to anyone. Like 6 years before. Those were very different times, and it was a long time ago. (31 years ago)

I was shaking, I was pale. She was shaking, but only because that's what ladies in their 90's tend to do.

She looked at me, paused, and exclaimed "WELL ISN'T THAT WONDERFUL !"

Horrified, I explained what I had just said, under the assumption that despite being the kind of lady (a twice retired school teacher) that corrected the daily newspaper with a red pen, she didn't quite understand me.

"I know what you said, dear" She smiled.

"But my life is ruined !" I said, truly believing it...

"Don't you know that it's our differences that make us special" She said, and then she hugged me. "We'll just keep this between us, and you can tell whoever else you want when you're ready", she assured me, holding my hand.

So, yeah, I can see this letter as possibly being real.

And it made me tear-up a little, remembering my great Grammy, who's voice I can sometimes still hear when I'm alone in the back yard on warm summer nights...

Posted by: Pookie | Oct 2, 2013 3:12:39 PM

18. At 54, I'm old enough to be a grandfather (I have freinds who are younger and are grandparents) and my handwriting looks very similar to that shown on this letter, but a little neater.

Handwriting is not the way to judge if this is real or not.

Posted by: johnny | Oct 2, 2013 3:13:28 PM

19. PS

Oh, and we have these phones now with things built into them called "cameras" that make taking a picture of a piece of paper extremely easy. I do it all the time.

Posted by: Pookie | Oct 2, 2013 3:14:46 PM

20. @Caliban, good point.

Posted by: Luke | Oct 2, 2013 3:16:23 PM

21. I, too, have no buy-in on this one.

Posted by: Jerry | Oct 2, 2013 3:22:17 PM

22. The handwriting isn't really what makes it fake. It's the content of the letter itself. And the fact a good 50% of these stories have been proven fake. But it's nice to think about and if it's verified as true then it's a story of a nice grandfather, a horrible mother and another young gay boy in a divided family situation.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Oct 2, 2013 3:33:45 PM

23. I am keeping my pie-hole shut on this one. Lols.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Oct 2, 2013 4:13:46 PM

24. I found it very moving and believed every word. People are too cynical in wanting to believe the worst possible motives.

Posted by: Molc | Oct 2, 2013 4:59:00 PM

25. My dad had very similar writing and so I would not look at the letter as being fake just by the script.

Posted by: zeddy | Oct 2, 2013 5:04:28 PM