Letter from Grandfather Standing Up for His Gay Grandson Goes Viral: READ IT

Grandpa

A letter that a grandfather wrote to his daughter after she kicked out her son for being gay is taking social media by storm. There are few further details as to the authenticity of the letter — the group FCKH8.com says it was "sent in by a supporter" — than the letter itself, but folks online are rallying behind the sentiment.

Dear Christine:

I’m disappointed in you as a daughter. You’re correct that we have a “shame in the family”, but mistaken about what it is.

Kicking Chad out of your home simply because he told you he was gay is the real “abomination” here. A parent disowning her child is what goes “against nature”.

The only intelligent thing I heard you saying in all this was that “you didn’t raise your son to be gay”. Of course you didn’t. He was born this way and didn’t chase it any more than he being left-handed. You however, have made a choice of being hurtful, narrow-minded and backward. So, while we are in the business of disowning our children, I think I’ll take this moment to say goodbye to you. I now have a fabulous (as the gays put it) grandson to raise, and I don’t have time for heart-less B-word of a daughter.

If you find your heart, give us a call

– Dad

Writes FCKH8: "We were blown away by how this guy stands by his grandson and stands up against his own homophobic daughter. This is real l♥ve!"

Comments

1. sjaeger says

This is what family should be. Bully for GF. I love the fact that he understands what his GS is going through better than his B**** mother. It also shows that not all of the older generation is not so enlightened as we are led to believe.

2. Luke says

I find it hard to believe that this is true.. If the grandfather was so full of love he would not “disown” his daughter. He would try and help her to see the light. I think this is probably fake, but if it is real then kudos to the grandfather for sticking up for his grandson. Shame on him, however, for “disowning” his daughter. Family should always stick together and learn from each other.

3. SFshawn says

If more ‘religious folks’ were called out for their HATRED,BIGOTRY,INTOLERANCE in this manner they would learn to shut their ignorant and heartless mouths.

4. Michael W. says

I would love for this to be true but I agree with the other doubters…something about the wording and even the handwriting seem to come from someone younger. I hope I’m wrong.

5. sjaeger says

We actually have had ‘religious nuttery’ come out of nowhere in my extended family, most of my family is generally mildly religious but very tolerant, except for one of my aunts, who accepted her husband’s religious tendencies and ran with it — and was strongly anti-gays, anti-democrats, anti-hispanics, anti-health care until she came down with MS, had strokes in her 50’s and had to go on government health care, all of a sudden her ‘holier than thou’ hateful religion disappeared. She became anti-Bush and is now pro-Obama. Hmm…… what a little ‘need’ does for all her hates…… She had to eat a lot of humble pie. Her father certainly did NOT teach her such hate, rather he taught my mother to respect all peoples and opinions. So I for one, can certainly believe in a GF telling off his daughter for her hateful beliefs.

6. Alan says

This feels suspicious to me too. Though the spelling/grammar issues could be attributed to the stress of the writer, they’re red flags to me. I’m also bothered that they were fixed in the transcript.

7. says

As much as I’d like to believe it’s real, I’m going with fake.

The most obvious question is who scanned the letter and when? Either the grandfather would have had to scan it before he sent it or the daughter scanned it after she got it to publicize he father disowning her. Neither of those scenarios seem likely.

8. Matt says

did this post turn into a graphology convention? Do you all do it online so as to not have eachother analyze your handwriting? Kind of cool way to do it, really.

9. Pookie says

It may very well be fake.

I came out to my great grandmother years before I came out to anyone. Like 6 years before. Those were very different times, and it was a long time ago. (31 years ago)

I was shaking, I was pale. She was shaking, but only because that’s what ladies in their 90’s tend to do.

She looked at me, paused, and exclaimed “WELL ISN’T THAT WONDERFUL !”

Horrified, I explained what I had just said, under the assumption that despite being the kind of lady (a twice retired school teacher) that corrected the daily newspaper with a red pen, she didn’t quite understand me.

“I know what you said, dear” She smiled.

“But my life is ruined !” I said, truly believing it…

“Don’t you know that it’s our differences that make us special” She said, and then she hugged me. “We’ll just keep this between us, and you can tell whoever else you want when you’re ready”, she assured me, holding my hand.

So, yeah, I can see this letter as possibly being real.

And it made me tear-up a little, remembering my great Grammy, who’s voice I can sometimes still hear when I’m alone in the back yard on warm summer nights…

10. johnny says

At 54, I’m old enough to be a grandfather (I have freinds who are younger and are grandparents) and my handwriting looks very similar to that shown on this letter, but a little neater.

Handwriting is not the way to judge if this is real or not.

11. Pookie says

PS

Oh, and we have these phones now with things built into them called “cameras” that make taking a picture of a piece of paper extremely easy. I do it all the time.

12. Francis #1 says

The handwriting isn’t really what makes it fake. It’s the content of the letter itself. And the fact a good 50% of these stories have been proven fake. But it’s nice to think about and if it’s verified as true then it’s a story of a nice grandfather, a horrible mother and another young gay boy in a divided family situation.

13. Fox says

Regarding the handwriting, my grandpa will be 88 next year, and this looks just like his handwriting. I’m not sure, but I think he transitioned from the school-taught cursive to this slanted print-style when he was in the military officer ranks.

14. Fox says

Also, I don’t see the dad as disowning his daughter. He’s simply saying goodbye to her, and clearly leaves the door open for if/when she finds her heart.

15. Kelly says

I believe it’s possible for a grandparent to be more open minded than a parent on this issue. My grandma is far more supportive and loves me unconditional than my parents. My grandma supported me when I was an interracial relationship whereas my parents basically disowned me.

16. Mitch says

It seems like Grandpa would have sent the letter to his daughter. Is it likely that she posted it to go viral? Or that he took a picture of it and posted it somewhere before he sent it to her? Smells fishy to me as well.

17. Simon says

Why does everyone hope it is true? If it is real, we have a disowned son, a disowned daughter, a grandfather that doesn’t realize two wrongs don’t make a right, and a divided family?

18. says

There is nothing on earth compelling anyone to ‘accept’ family, just because they Are family…so, judging this man for dis-owning his daughter is pointless.
    I have washed my hands of a few nut-jobs in My family…glad I did it and have no regrets. I’ll have nothing to do with religious wackos and bigots. Period. No matter Who they are…or Think they are.
    ^^X^^

19. Steve says

Whether we believe it or not or whether we accept it or not, we choose our family. Mostly we choose our biological family because we grow and support each other from our earliest beginnings. And our family grows as we learn to love and support others like us who have come to mean so much to us. Conversely, someone who is mean, hateful and bigoted is not automatically a member of our family simply because they’re related biologically. ‘Nuff said.