News

Letter from Grandfather Standing Up for His Gay Grandson Goes Viral: READ IT

Grandpa

A letter that a grandfather wrote to his daughter after she kicked out her son for being gay is taking social media by storm. There are few further details as to the authenticity of the letter — the group FCKH8.com says it was "sent in by a supporter" — than the letter itself, but folks online are rallying behind the sentiment.

Dear Christine:

I’m disappointed in you as a daughter. You’re correct that we have a “shame in the family”, but mistaken about what it is.

Kicking Chad out of your home simply because he told you he was gay is the real “abomination” here. A parent disowning her child is what goes “against nature”.

The only intelligent thing I heard you saying in all this was that “you didn’t raise your son to be gay”. Of course you didn’t. He was born this way and didn’t chase it any more than he being left-handed. You however, have made a choice of being hurtful, narrow-minded and backward. So, while we are in the business of disowning our children, I think I’ll take this moment to say goodbye to you. I now have a fabulous (as the gays put it) grandson to raise, and I don’t have time for heart-less B-word of a daughter.

If you find your heart, give us a call

- Dad

Writes FCKH8: "We were blown away by how this guy stands by his grandson and stands up against his own homophobic daughter. This is real l♥ve!"

Comments

1. Regarding the handwriting, my grandpa will be 88 next year, and this looks just like his handwriting. I'm not sure, but I think he transitioned from the school-taught cursive to this slanted print-style when he was in the military officer ranks.

Posted by: Fox | Oct 2, 2013 5:11:21 PM

2. Also, I don't see the dad as disowning his daughter. He's simply saying goodbye to her, and clearly leaves the door open for if/when she finds her heart.

Posted by: Fox | Oct 2, 2013 6:42:32 PM

3. I believe it's possible for a grandparent to be more open minded than a parent on this issue. My grandma is far more supportive and loves me unconditional than my parents. My grandma supported me when I was an interracial relationship whereas my parents basically disowned me.

Posted by: Kelly | Oct 2, 2013 7:04:57 PM

4. It seems like Grandpa would have sent the letter to his daughter. Is it likely that she posted it to go viral? Or that he took a picture of it and posted it somewhere before he sent it to her? Smells fishy to me as well.

Posted by: Mitch | Oct 2, 2013 8:27:36 PM

5. The transcript reads: "He was born this way and didn’t chase it ..."

The actual letter reads, "didn't choose it."

Posted by: steve_d | Oct 2, 2013 8:39:07 PM

6. Why does everyone hope it is true? If it is real, we have a disowned son, a disowned daughter, a grandfather that doesn't realize two wrongs don't make a right, and a divided family?

Posted by: Simon | Oct 2, 2013 10:53:54 PM

7. There is nothing on earth compelling anyone to 'accept' family, just because they Are family...so, judging this man for dis-owning his daughter is pointless.
    I have washed my hands of a few nut-jobs in My family...glad I did it and have no regrets. I'll have nothing to do with religious wackos and bigots. Period. No matter Who they are...or Think they are.
    ^^X^^

Posted by: Bruce Wayne | Oct 3, 2013 3:48:05 AM

8. Go Grandpa!!!!!

Posted by: JoseRVG | Oct 3, 2013 10:08:05 AM

9. Whether we believe it or not or whether we accept it or not, we choose our family. Mostly we choose our biological family because we grow and support each other from our earliest beginnings. And our family grows as we learn to love and support others like us who have come to mean so much to us. Conversely, someone who is mean, hateful and bigoted is not automatically a member of our family simply because they're related biologically. 'Nuff said.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 3, 2013 5:07:18 PM