Football (American) | News | NFL | Sports | Troy Aikman

BigGayDeal.com

Former NFL Player Dexter Manley Banned from WTOP After Calling Troy Aikman 'a Queer': AUDIO

Manley_aikman

Former Redskins defensive end Dexter Manley was asked to immediately apologize after calling Troy Aikman "a queer" during a radio program on WTOP radio on Sunday, SI.com reports:

When asked by a host if Aikman’s presence was bad luck for the Redskins, Manley said that he thought Aikman was a “queer.” The WTOP hosts immediately insisted that Manley apologize on the air, which he did reluctantly after initially declining.

WTOP’s Vice President of News and Programming Jim Farley, replying to a listener via Twitter, said the station was shocked and stunned and that Manley won’t be making any more appearances after his over-the-top comments.

Listen (At about 3:20), AFTER THE JUMP...

Manley later made a statement:

In an interview with WTOP radio Monday, while intending to be funny, I used a slur to refer to Troy Aikman. It was wrong and insensitive. Anyone that knows me knows that’s not who I am in my heart or mind. I want to apologize to Troy, but I mostly want to apologize to anyone else I offended. Like a lot of people in these times, I have to realize that what I thought was funny years ago doesn’t work now. I’ll do my best to make sure it doesn’t happen again and hope you will accept my apology.

Rumors have circulated about Aikman for years, since former columnist now sports commentator Skip Bayless speculated in 1996 that then Dallas Cowboy Troy Aikman was gay. Bayless said in 2009 that he stands by his remarks.

Aikman said in 2011 that he didn't know what he might do if he ever saw Bayless, and suggested that he might use physical violence.

Listen to Manley's remarks (At about 3:20), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. But it wasn't funny years ago.

Was calling black people sambos EVER funny?

Posted by: dan | Oct 29, 2013 8:10:18 AM

2. And it is time for Aiken to step out-of-the-closet, and call Dexter Manley what he is: a knuckle crawling Ape like the rest of the bigoted idiots!

Posted by: BRAINS | Oct 29, 2013 8:23:57 AM

3. Nice to see such a swift and appropriate response from WTOP.

Posted by: JMC | Oct 29, 2013 8:24:02 AM

4. Kudos to WTOP for tackling this head on. I see Manley still has to be educated. But what IS the deal with Aikman?

Posted by: Albert | Oct 29, 2013 8:33:26 AM

5. Has this idiot ever heard of Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King or Mildred Loving? Did they fight for the right of this man to be a troglodyte?

Posted by: Gigi | Oct 29, 2013 8:33:44 AM

6. some former NFL thug decides to broadcast his ignorance. sort of a really unsurprising story.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 29, 2013 8:47:11 AM

7. Great idea, Brains. Aikman should stand up and tell the world to screw off.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 29, 2013 9:11:17 AM

8. I thought Aikman had three daughters, who all must be high-school age now. How can gays ask to be respected when he we are implying in an article about a jerk calling him "a Queer" that yeah, he is. Really, he is. Doesn't matter what he says. He is. We know.

Posted by: MIke | Oct 29, 2013 9:23:52 AM

9. Okay, I know some of you pathetic, middle-aged queens around here aren't going to like this, but Tank is going to try to keep it real. Everyone on earth knows about Miss Aikman's long and unsuccessful battle to keep up a facade of straightness. The guy should be condemned for using a slur but Troy should be condemned also for being so dishonest and for having done nothing in his entire life for the benefit of the LGBQT community.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 29, 2013 9:25:19 AM

10. Tank is so real. Cuties always have that facade of straightness, and never would we claim a fugly.

Posted by: MIke | Oct 29, 2013 9:33:49 AM

11. @Tank
    @Mike

It's people like you guys who turn off the younger generation of gays with your TOTAL GENERALIZATIONS, use of the word queen (ugh so 70s or w/e), stupid old closet gay gossip, and complete misunderstanding of context.

Yawn.

Grow up.

Posted by: derp | Oct 29, 2013 9:34:14 AM

12. Whether Aikman is gay or not is in noway the point. It would not have been acceptable for him to call Aikman a queer if he actually were gay. Makes no difference either way.

Posted by: JWL | Oct 29, 2013 9:38:12 AM

13. LOL about Derp and his "generalizations" and his amazing ageist psychic ability.

Posted by: MIke | Oct 29, 2013 9:49:17 AM

14. Interesting example of how anti-gay animus is becoming increasingly socially unacceptable.

And I'm not sure how ageism came into the discussion, but at 43 I'm a better person now that I ever was. So many of my friends didn't make it through their 30s, let alone their 40s. I'm happy to be here, "middle-aged" or no.

Posted by: The Milkman | Oct 29, 2013 10:21:32 AM

15. @ "Was calling black people sambos EVER funny?"

Yeah, Dan, for over one hundred years--in Minstel shows and for a brief time in Hollywood.

I'm surprised Manley used the term "queer". That's not in any Black vernacular I know of--unless you grow up in the suburbs, I guess.

Manley's probably a Herman Caine Republican which equals stupid.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 29, 2013 10:32:53 AM

16. @Milkman

May I ask why is it that you had so many friends not make it past their 30s?

Posted by: MM | Oct 29, 2013 10:41:25 AM

17. I agree with @JWL - the point here has nothing to do with whether or not Aikman is gay or not it has to do with using hate speech to slur another player. WTOP is right to ban Manley from ever appearing on their show(s) again. His statement is unacceptable.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Oct 29, 2013 11:16:00 AM

18. Ditto what JWL and Mike Ryan wrote.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Oct 29, 2013 11:35:14 AM

19. "But what IS the deal with Aikman? "

Probably the same "deal" as with other masculine gay men in the social mainstream--they don't come out because they don't care to associate themselves with the culture of effeminacy and left-wing mindset that has come to define "LGBT"

"May I ask why is it that you had so many friends not make it past their 30s?"

Is that so unusual, given the amount of drug abuse, alcohol abuse, STDs, etc. that plague gay men....not to mention losing your social currency (i.e. youthful physical attractiveness) around age 40 and becoming a social non-entity

"Has this idiot ever heard of Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King or Mildred Loving? Did they fight for the right of this man to be a troglodyte?"

So hilarious how gay white liberals continue to delude themselves into believeing that blacks as a group ever have or ever will buy into the notion that there is an analogy between gay issues and black issues. They don't and are not ever going to and therefore, as a group, feel little empathy for you.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 29, 2013 12:33:15 PM

20. Bayless doth protest a wee much considering that tragic hair coloring he has. He and Imus were separated at birth.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Oct 29, 2013 12:38:15 PM

21. Masculine gay men like myself have nothing to prove to you liberal effeminates because we don't feel the need to be out and proud. We're far more comfortable in our closets. At least we mitigate the embarrassment we bring to our families by doing so

For that same reason we visibly hate people of color, like the Blacks. Gay issues and black issues will never be seen as equal. All straight, black people see the farce that is the effeminate gay existence. And by all, I mean the ones that I know (none). I don't have to prove anything to you people because I have nothing to prove. It's all just generalizations I post on the internet as a way to give me something to do besides contemplating suicide.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 29, 2013 12:43:50 PM

22. LOL @ "They don't and are not ever going to and therefore, as a group, feel little empathy for you."

Obviously, neither do you. LOL

But you're on a roll today. We'll read about the "culture of effeminacy" on every news story Andy posts today. Maybe that lil' baby crying over her mother's singing is suffering from the "culture of effeminacy".

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 29, 2013 12:44:21 PM

23. @ the 1st Rick

You're one of those anti-gay bigot brigade trolls or one of the many homosexual self-haters out there.

Wow, you nauseate me.

Posted by: MM | Oct 29, 2013 1:13:51 PM

24. Rick is trying to justify why Rick is still in the closet sleeping with other closet cases, calling other Gay men slurs, changing pronouns to fool his coworkers, etc.

Posted by: Kelly | Oct 29, 2013 2:35:35 PM

25. Anti-gay animus becoming unacceptable? That would mean fewer people making blatant anti-gay comments. Yes, they're now forced into apologizes and backtracking on their bigoted comments, but at the end of the day, there's a homophobic comment from some athlete or former athlete every couple days and that's a sign that homophobia is actually very much still alive.

As for this idiot Manley...he crossed the line completely. Good on WTOP for banning him immediately. Let's see what happens with him going forward.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Oct 29, 2013 3:03:35 PM