News: Morrissey, Buenos Aires, Liam Payne, Wyoming

RoadMorrissey to publish autobiography on October 17.

RoadThis is what it takes to innovate: the creation of the first iPhone.

TangoqueerRoadDancers switch roles at 'Tango Queer' in Buenos Aires: "It's not about the man and the woman," the 55-year-old Buenos Aires hairdresser said. "It's about the driver and the driven."

RoadPrince Harry to marry?

RoadUT sociology professor Mark Regnerus promotes his damaging and discredited study on gay parenting in Russia.

RoadGay Iowa man denied relief under HIV criminalization law: "A gay HIV-positive man in Iowa was unable Wednesday to obtain relief from his conviction under a state HIV criminalization law because he received unprotected oral sex while withholding his HIV status."

RoadMore than 100 people attend rally in Canberra in support of marriage equality in the Australian Capital Territory: "The rally came as News Corp reported Mr Corbell's federal counterpart, George Brandis, had received advice from the Commonwealth Solicitor-General indicating the ACT laws were unconstitutional because of their inconsistency with the federal Marriage Act."

RoadBob Schieffer calls John Cornyn on Republican shutdown BS.

RoadOne Direction's Liam Payne plays peek-a-pube on hotel balcony.

SteubenRoadThe 'gay man who saved the USA?

RoadGay Pride march in Paraguay draws 400: "Under the slogan of 'holiday, in memory and protest,' the demonstrators marched through the city to the Pantheon of Heroes, Asuncion's memorial to the country's fallen soldiers, where they held a festival."

RoadBerkeley, California City Council dismisses proposal to close city's Domestic Partner Registry: "The revised proposal, submitted by Councilmember Darryl Moore after public backlash against his original recommendation, dropped the motion to close the registry and instead suggested celebrating the registry’s 22-year anniversary by declaring Oct. 11 Marriage Equality Day."

RoadAustralian newspapers under fire for inflating distribution numbers: "In one case, Evolution claimed its fortnightly title Queensland Pride was distributing 15,740 copies per issue at the end of last year when only 4970 copies were going out, according to information provided to the OFT in Queensland. Advertisers were also told the publication was widely distributed in southeast Queensland when the documents suggested only 310 copies were delivered outside of Brisbane."

RoadMale model fix: Thor Bulow.

WyomingRoadWyoming's Star Tribune talks to gay people in the state 15 years after the murder of Matthew Shepard.

ERoadllen Pompeo sounds off on the Isaiah Washington flap and the end of Grey's Anatomy.

RoadAirbnb told to hand over user data on 225,000 New York City apartment hosts by the end of the day: "Attorney General Eric Schneiderman subpoenaed the data as part of an investigation into the website stemming from a 2010 law that makes it illegal to use such sites to rent out your own apartment."

RoadIllinois veterans lobby for marriage equality: "A group called Veterans Unite for Marriage is calling on the Illinois House to approve a marriage bill when it reconvenes later this month."

RoadThe WaPo looks at anti-gay discrimination at senior facilities: “If you’re getting public assistance, you often have very little say on who’s assigned to you,” said Wendy Lustbader, a University of Washington professor of social work who specializes in aging. “Many people actually accept various kinds of abuse from health-care workers because they are dependent on their care.”

Comments

1. So whats the difference if someone withholds their status as a bottom? I say let 'em have it.

Posted by: Patrick | Oct 7, 2013 3:07:40 PM

2. "Tango Queer", what a ridiculous label. Yet another example of clique-ster elites shoehorning a sexual slur in where it doesn't belong! Tango began with same-gender male couples, and contrary to what this article claims, they weren't just "practicing the moves" they were going to use on women. They were, in fact, dancing together, without the stigma that was attached in later years.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Oct 7, 2013 3:10:09 PM

3. How is "Queer" a slur? Queer means a deviation from the expected norm. Unique. Unusual. From a different point of view. Unconventional.

Many LGBT people, and indeed many straight people, also self-identify as queer. And only an insecure ninny would take issue with their self-identification.

Posted by: huh? | Oct 7, 2013 3:27:19 PM

4. It's obviously fine to self identity as queer, it's not fine to play dumb and pretend it doesn't have a long history of being used as a homophobic slur, force the term on all LGBT people and berate those amongst them who are uncomfortable with reappropriating the term..

Posted by: JMC | Oct 7, 2013 3:44:16 PM

5. When I was a kid the word that was used against me when I was shoved into lockers was "gay." Does that mean you should all stop using the word gay because that word was used as an insult to hurt me, or does it mean that perhaps you guys should grow up, get a thicker skin, and stop being upset that some people find strength in something that still makes you cower?

Posted by: huh? | Oct 7, 2013 3:53:20 PM

6. I'm pretty young and grew up in the United States, I have literally no bad experiences with the word queer. The word certainly doesn't make me cower, and I like any reasonable person think that what the queer identity offers to people who don't fit into other more stringent identities is wonderful.

Just don't force the word queer onto people as an identity or an umbrella term when they may not be comfortable with it for any number of reasons. I promise you it's really not that hard..

Posted by: JMC | Oct 7, 2013 4:34:08 PM

7. How is my self-identifying as Queer forcing anything onto anybody else?

Posted by: huh? | Oct 7, 2013 4:39:31 PM

8. It's not? My original comment obviously drifted into something more general than what was being discussed, but given you decided to completely dismiss the realities of the word's history (and contemporary use in many places) as a homophobic slur and went on a rant about how anyone who has a problem with being called queer is clearly a coward, it's become clear everything I've said applies to you anyways lol

Posted by: JMC | Oct 7, 2013 5:04:13 PM

9. @STUFFED ANIMAL: Honey, I have always identified as "queer". It's what I was taunted with as I was growing up and even into my adult life, especially when I was bashed and the bashers were yelling "Queer! Queer! Queer!" as they beat on me (7 on 1, saved by two dykes who to this day are my special angels). Darlin', "gay" is the "elite" word, as far as I am concerned. "Tango Queer" fits perfectly. You really need to up the chill-pill meds intake.

On to other things:
    That Mark Regnerus thing bothers me. More fake info to be used by Russian bigots to wreak even more harm on our Russian LGBTQ brothers and sisters. Sh*t like this makes me loathe, despise, hate evangelicals and other christian ilk more and more and more.

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 8, 2013 12:01:08 PM