Banksy | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

NYT Declines Banksy Op-Ed on the New World Trade Center

Wtc_banksy

Via BanksyNY: "Today’s piece was going to be an op-ed column in the New York Times. But they declined to publish what I supplied. Which was this..."

Click to enlarge.

Click HERE for more on Banksy.

Comments

1. Eh I've tried to like it but it doesn't speak to me at all. When I used to drive up to the city my heart would start beating when I saw those two black behemoth towers from the jersey turnpike. I brought my brother and neice from pgh up to the city over the summer and it just didn't impress like those old towers. It really is a pretty boring structure.

Posted by: jersey | Oct 27, 2013 8:00:35 PM

2. Remember the gorgeous original winning design?

Posted by: Bill | Oct 27, 2013 8:37:37 PM

3. Maybe we should put Banksy on a no-fly list. Sounds like he has a grudge against buildings and he has been known to vandalize them.

Posted by: Kev C | Oct 27, 2013 8:50:45 PM

4. In someways I agree with him. The new WTC isn't even half as dominant as the twin towers. It just seems like a giant copout. The over extended antenna on the roof looks ridiculous and now there's several condos for the super rich going up in midtown that would be taller. Sad really.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Oct 27, 2013 9:03:48 PM

5. Puh-lease! Canada (Scarboro) is the home of the Marilyn Monroe towers - voted as the most interesting new buildings in the world. Google them bitches!

Posted by: dumbnhung | Oct 27, 2013 9:52:02 PM

6. Totally agree. The damn building looks like it is made out of PLASTIC

Posted by: tritonpsh@aol.com | Oct 27, 2013 10:51:01 PM

7. He really needs to go home already. I find his art equally boring. Gee a terrorist throwing a bunch of a flowers? Its our generations 'clown with a tear'.

Posted by: discos | Oct 28, 2013 12:05:17 AM

8. He's right. And no I don't think theres any complicated ironic meaning or anything in the essay.

The original concepts for the WTC were bold and interesting statements of modern architecture. SOM changed it into a huge mediocrity. The tower on top looks like an afterthought left over from another building.

I thought it looked like an obvious mistake in the renderings but it's much worse in reality.

Like Crhs said above it's a product of and symbol of Bloomberg era big money capitalism. Big, expensive, and lackluster like all the rest. (And I think the bikes and bike lanes and plazas are fine. And a great architecture firm was contracted to do the permanent Times Square street stuff and it should be really good).

Posted by: emjayay | Oct 28, 2013 1:28:33 AM

9. Crhs? I meant Chris.

Posted by: emjayay | Oct 28, 2013 1:31:47 AM

10. It's a much better looking building than the towers were, I like it.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 28, 2013 4:42:46 AM

11. He may make great stencil art, but he definitely can't write (well).

Posted by: Adam | Oct 28, 2013 9:40:53 AM

12. It's not the most exciting building ever designed ... but compared with the original WTC, it's the boldest piece of architecture ever erected.

Posted by: Zlick | Oct 28, 2013 2:08:10 PM

13. These comments demonstrate why I stopped reading Trowelroad a long time ago. Nothing but a bunch of catty queens. Enjoy yourselves.

Posted by: Andy | Oct 28, 2013 5:02:51 PM