Barack Obama | John Boehner | News

BigGayDeal.com

As Obama Rips GOP Over Shutdown, Boehner Slams Down WSJ: 'This Isn't Some Damn Game' - VIDEO

Sd_obama

President Obama ripped House Republicans for the government shutdown at a speech in Rockville, Maryland on Thursday:

Everybody here just does their job, right? You know, if you're working here and in the middle of the day you just stopped and said, you know what? I want to get something, but I don't know — I don't know exactly what I'm going get, but — I'm just going to stop working until I get something-- I'm going to shut down the whole plant until I get something. You'd get fired! Right?

On Friday, House Speaker John Boehner reacted to a quote about the shutdown in the Wall Street Journal, slamming the paper down, and yelling "This isn't some damn game!"

Watch both clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

J_boehner

Comments

1. I feel sorry for you Americans having to go through this government shutdown. Argue and debate yes, but for heaven's sake don't shut everything down in a tug-of-war.
    Hang in there, this too shall eventually pass....

Posted by: David From Canada | Oct 4, 2013 12:29:54 PM

2. @David we don't need your sympathy. What we need is a strong turnout at the next election to vote out every single incumbent. Throw them all out, Republican and Democrat.

Posted by: Luke | Oct 4, 2013 12:36:22 PM

3. Oh I agree totally David. The American people have the responsibility to make sure they show up at the polls and vote next Nov., and in many states, they don't even need to show up at the polls, they can vote online or mail it in!

Posted by: Tom | Oct 4, 2013 12:42:50 PM

4. Boehner & Cruz own this shutdown. Simple. Fact.
    It will forever be known as the Boehner/Cruz Shutdown disaster of 2013.

Posted by: adam | Oct 4, 2013 12:49:36 PM

5. If you Democrats and Republicans are equally to blame for this, you are part of the problem.

Posted by: Dan E | Oct 4, 2013 12:49:48 PM

6. @Luke - did someone pee in your cheerios this morning?
    "Appreciate the sympathy David." Would have been the polite response.

Posted by: iowan | Oct 4, 2013 12:51:03 PM

7. I will vote
    (as I have since I turned 21: the 18 voting age occurred very shortly AFTER my birthday). I will vote to express my disgust at the stupid game the Rethuglicans are playing, and can only hope enough of my fellow voters will do the same.

Posted by: Goodcarver | Oct 4, 2013 12:53:33 PM

8. If you listen to the Boehner clip more carefully, you'll realize he is not "slamming the Wall Street Journal"; he's slamming the unidentified White House official who claims that Democrats are winning the public opinion regarding the shutdown.

Posted by: Peter | Oct 4, 2013 12:56:17 PM

9. What we need to do is make a list of all Congressmen and women who represent our respective states. When they are all up for reelection, vote for somebody else. That's the only way we can send a message.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 4, 2013 1:00:05 PM

10. @Luke -- Throw out all the incumbents? Why, exactly? The Democrats didn't make this mess. The Democrats aren't taking the government hostage. The Democrats aren't ignoring a law that was legally enacted, found constitutional by the Supreme Court, and validated by the last election. Enough with the false equivalencies. Direct your anger where it belongs instead of fulminating inchoately.

Posted by: tim alevizos | Oct 4, 2013 1:02:51 PM

11. @Tim, because that's the problem. Everyone hates congress but loves their own representative. So we vote in our incumbents and nothing ever changes.

Posted by: Luke | Oct 4, 2013 1:07:36 PM

12. Boehner yelling "This isn't some damn game!"...

Liar. Here's evidence that at the very least, your fellow Republicans don't agree with you:
    (http://www.towleroad.com/2013/10/mcconnellpaul.html)

"I know we don't want to be here, but we're going to win this, I think." - Rand Paul.

You "win" games. You don't "win" governance.

Posted by: Dego | Oct 4, 2013 1:12:20 PM

13. That "both parties are to blame" is a cowardly lie told by the media, to prevent them appearing biased, and supported by the Republican/TeaBaggers, to keep the public confused and ill-informed.

Oddly, Boehner's "this isn't some damned game" sounds way too much like, "I am not a crook." The only thing that Boehner is reacting to is the fact that he's about to lose his job because his crazy constituents don't think he's libertarian enough.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Oct 4, 2013 1:14:06 PM

14. Politics are what you go into when you are absolutely unqualified to do anything else due to circumstance of birth.

Posted by: Rad | Oct 4, 2013 1:17:40 PM

15. The lie that Democrats are in any way responsible for the actions of the Peter Thiel-owned puppet Ted Cruz is ludicrous. The country is being overthrown by a billionaire terrorist, only this time he's an American and instead of using Saudis he's using the Republican party. That -- and only that -- is what's happening here.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Oct 4, 2013 1:18:55 PM

16. Who said anything about liking their own rep? Even though I didn't vote for him, Ted Cruz is my senator. He wasn't an incumbent. Blind anti-incumbency gets you government shutdowns, apparently.

Posted by: jtaskw | Oct 4, 2013 1:21:00 PM

17. @LUKE with all due respect, you are offering a false equivalency here and it is way off the mark. The Republicans in Congress are the problem, not the Democrats. It is the Republican who are pushing this country to the brink of default. It is Republicans who have caused a shut down of the government that is affecting MILLIONS of our fellow Americans. Republicans are the problem. Period. Incumbency has its virtues. Incumbency has its flaws. Considering that Republicans have gerrymandered election districts to ENSURE incumbency for Republicans make your argument a lot of hogwash. Here's the solution: vote out every last goddamn Republican in 2014.

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 4, 2013 1:23:52 PM

18. Obamacare / Affordable Care Act is the law. Obama won a second term in the election of November 2012 with more than 51% of the popular vote. What is there to negotiate?
    Boehner and his gang are like rabid dogs that won't let go of a bone.

Posted by: excy | Oct 4, 2013 1:25:54 PM

19. Boner doesn't even allow a vote for the government to open. He represents the GOP. It is quite obvious who is to blame.

Posted by: simon | Oct 4, 2013 1:53:59 PM

20. I'm thrilled with the shutdown and love my Senator Cruz. Why not do a story on the success of ObamaCare in Kansas so far? Average wait time on phone to talk to a human: sixty hours (a newspaper actually did this). Number of patients signed up: zero.

Forgive me if I'm not thrilled to death! that the IRS now runs medicine.

Posted by: MIke | Oct 4, 2013 1:57:14 PM

21. The best part about this boner clip is seeing his negotiating skills at work. Pissy & in a huff...walking away from the podium and from questions like a child who's been asked to share his toy. I think it's great to watch!!

Posted by: PAUL B. | Oct 4, 2013 1:59:56 PM

22. Jamal - I agree with most of what you said, except the "vote out every last...Republican."

Realistically, because of gerrymandering, its not possible.

But more to the point, politics does require a balancing act. I lean progressive but I also know that I need my more reasonable husband to balance my bleeding heart in order to become the effective whole we are. Conservative voices and liberal voices are needed in order to devise an approach that is truly representative of the people.

But the conservative voice has been overrun by demagogery and conservative ideology, leaving no room for compromise. Voting out all Republicans will simply allow democrats to enter into a feeding frenzy at the trough of progressivism and generate a backlash against democrats in the next election and swing the country even harder right.

What we need is to actually demonstrate how ideologically pure and mind-boggling absurd the far right is. And the way to do that is to vote out the moderate republicans, take back the house, and allow the tea party yokels to scream and yell and hold fits and not be effective at getting anything done...not even shutting down the government.

So, states will see reason and go back and fix the gerrymandering so that districts will begin to resemble a broad section of American political values and representatives will be beholden to many voices, not just the tiny echo chambers they have created. Only then will the power of the tea party to obstruct be marginalized and the government can get back to some semblance of adulthood.

Posted by: JayDwyerSF | Oct 4, 2013 2:08:04 PM

23. This is the road ahead as long as the Republican Party is owned by the wing nut Tea Party faction represented by buffoons like Cruz. (Who is also virulently anti-gay, surprise! Yeah, any self-respecting gay person should LOVE him.) Republicans who know how to compromise are wimps at the mercy of the crazies.

As for my own incumbents, Leahy and Sanders, happy that they're in Washington, bringing some sanity to the circus. Voting out incumbents only makes sense if your incumbents are fools. Mine aren't.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 4, 2013 2:26:23 PM

24. The GOP's biggest hypocrisy is that they want both a massive world-dominating standing military force.... and they want no federal government. It's a brain dead contradiction that they're unwilling to compromise on.

Posted by: Jexer | Oct 4, 2013 2:49:32 PM

25. #LetsTalk? Is this today's Republican strategy to delete laws off our books?

How about #ShutUp. The ACA has been LAW for THREE years. Don't like it? Draft a bill, but you don't shut down the government in protest.

"Public servants" MY FOOT.

Posted by: Resetplz | Oct 4, 2013 2:52:21 PM