Gay Marriage | News | Pennsylvania | Tom Corbett

BigGayDeal.com

Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett Compares Gay Marriage to Incest: VIDEO

Corbett

Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett compared gay marriage to incest this morning during a radio interview this morning, the AP reports:

CorbettCorbett make the remark on a Friday morning news broadcast by WHP-TV in Harrisburg, when asked about a statement his lawyers made in a court filing in August. The state attorneys at that time compared gay and lesbian couples to children, as neither may legally marry in Pennsylvania.

Corbett, who previously called that statement inappropriate, now says he thinks "a much better analogy would have been brother and sister, don't you?"

Watch the video (via Think Progress),...AFTER THE JUMP...

Corbett's remarks in August were made in a brief to halt the marriage licenses being issued to gay couples in Montgomery County. The brief compared gay and lesbian couples to 12-year-olds, who are also barred from marrying under state law, reading:

"Had the clerk issued marriage licenses to 12-year-olds in violation of state law, would anyone seriously contend that each 12-year-old . . . is entitled to a hearing on the validity of his 'license'?"

In related news, yesterday gay Rep. Brian Sims and Rep. Steve McCarter introduced a marriage equality bill in Love Park in Philadelphia.

Said McCarter at the introduction:

“This goes beyond simply legalizing gay marriage,. This is about ensuring all Pennsylvanians have equal benefits and protections before the law. Marriage equality and the benefits associated with it need to be afforded to all of our citizens, and the people of Pennsylvania support that idea. The issue is getting our fellow legislators to listen to their constituents and the voice of Pennsylvanians who are calling for this bill to proceed.”

Think Progress also notes a new poll revealing that 54 percent of voters in Pennsylvania support a marriage equality bill.

Watch the video), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. eff him!

Posted by: David | Oct 4, 2013 8:54:56 AM

2. Illiterate fascist parasite.

Posted by: Sean | Oct 4, 2013 9:00:57 AM

3. Suddenly I want to put on a fat suit & a bad silver wig and have sex with his sister. Yeahhh!

Posted by: Tim | Oct 4, 2013 9:07:55 AM

4. Another fanatic using the Vatican playbook.
    They are so predictable with this nonsense, almost makes one think they have a collective fantasy going on

Posted by: Kathryn Leigh | Oct 4, 2013 9:09:39 AM

5. can you dig a deeper hole, tommy?
    keep it up. you're looking more isolated and bigoted every day.

Posted by: woody | Oct 4, 2013 9:25:04 AM

6. Wow, Corbett is a dumbass.

Posted by: Andy | Oct 4, 2013 9:39:04 AM

7. How embarrassing for the state of PA.

This guy's legacy is going to be such a joke.

Posted by: johnny | Oct 4, 2013 9:42:19 AM

8. Here's a fun tidbit from Wikipedia:

In 2013, Franklin & Marshall College conducted polling across Pennsylvania and commented on the fact that Corbett is the least-popular Governor in their poll's eighteen-year history. Their August 2013 poll found that only 17% of voters thought Corbett was doing an "excellent" or "good" job, only 20% thought he deserved to be re-elected and 62% said the state was "off on the wrong track".[

Posted by: johnny | Oct 4, 2013 9:46:30 AM

9. The reaction of the interviewer was priceless. Complete disbelief and, if I am not mistaken, she found it a little sickening.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 4, 2013 9:46:49 AM

10. Let's all race backwards in time with Governor Corbett!
    Stupid old fart.

Posted by: Bill | Oct 4, 2013 9:57:22 AM

11. Yes, but remember this is the guy that deliberately held up the investigation and arrest of Jerry Sandusky so that his chances for reelection wouldn't suffer. So I guess pedophilia is OK but having gay adult sex isn't. He's a dirtbag.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 4, 2013 10:14:35 AM

12. Here's your analogy, governor:

If it WERE LEGAL for a brother and sister to marry, we would be asking why not two brothers or two sisters. That would be equality. But it isn't legal and nobody thinks it should be.

Posted by: Jacques | Oct 4, 2013 10:25:37 AM

13. The brother and sister angle is at least biblical. Wasn't it in Genesis that Adam and Eve's children had incestuous sex with one another...and that's how the world was populated? It would explain how pieces of sh!t like Corbett exist.

Posted by: Gigi | Oct 4, 2013 10:40:29 AM

14. You know, you'd like to give some Republicans some leeway when they don't seem to be COMPLETE idiots, but statements like this confirm it.
    His office will be getting a call from me.
    He will be a one-term mistake for the state.

Posted by: Dave in PA | Oct 4, 2013 10:42:21 AM

15. I am a PA native who moved to DE several years ago and married my husband in DE, which passed gay marriage with zero fuss whatsoever. The battle over marriage equality in my native state is one reason why I will never move back there. I don't feel welcome there and I won't live in a state (the only one in the northeast) that has no legal protections at all for committed gay couples and would treat my husband and I as if we were nothing more than roommates. I wonder if PA will have a "brain drain" of gay couples like us once they realize that as of now, there is nothing for them legally there.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 4, 2013 10:55:12 AM

16. That is all he can say given there is no real argument again equal treatment. He is like practically Repugs and can only make ridiculous statements because they are unable to come up with a legitimate argument. I wish assholism was a capital crime!

Posted by: ToThePoint | Oct 4, 2013 11:21:57 AM

17. It is people like him that make give American's a bad rep and look so ignorant...wow

Posted by: Mike | Oct 4, 2013 11:26:05 AM

18. Unfortunately this public servant IS and represents the vast majority of the "typical" uneducated, bigoted, backward people who populate the hills and valleys of Pennsylvania. I was born and except for my years of military service, lived in North Eastern Pa but travelled across the state in my work as a Human Resources Analyst for the Commonwealth. The people live amazingly isolated lives and are definitely undereducated. The average IQ is just barely above the threshold of mental retardation. I realized this quite early and left less than a month after graduating from high school. I fell in love while visiting relatives, so I decided to stay obtain a college degree then went to law school. I wanted to at least try to make a dent in the status quo. After my partners unanticipated and sudden passing, I sold our home and fled to South Western France where I now happily reside. Pennsylvania, thankfully is now and forever will be just memories!

Posted by: Robert | Oct 4, 2013 11:29:23 AM

19. Tom Corbett is an ignorant d*ckhead...

Posted by: Robert M. | Oct 4, 2013 11:39:48 AM

20. Another angry old white dude.
    Die off already.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 4, 2013 12:03:19 PM

21. Governor Corbett is stupid like a rock and a pedophile who preys on little boys.
    Oops! I didn't mean to offend you. If you, your staff, your wife, your children, your family or friends are offended just know I didn't mean to offend you. I regret writing this and am deeply sorry.

Posted by: JT | Oct 4, 2013 12:03:33 PM

22. Robert, yes, many of the people there are ignorant. However, my partner and I went there to visit my relatives in southwestern PA 6 years ago and (strangely enough) were treated with respect and kindness by our lower-income and wholly-uneducated relatives. Even my neice's 10 year old son asked "Are they gay?" and reacted positively to it once he was told "yes".

There are exceptions to the rule.

Corbett is a dumbass, but not everyone in PA is. And Corbett's low approval rating currently proves that there may be an upswing to things. As well, PA citizens approve of marriage equality by 57 percent.

Posted by: johnny | Oct 4, 2013 12:05:14 PM

23. Since the state that we moved to views us as nothing more than a pair of incestuous, twelve-year-old, cocker spaniels, I feel it is my right to demand that every penny PA has stolen be returned to us immediately!

Posted by: AJ | Oct 4, 2013 1:23:53 PM

24. This guy's a tool, obviously.

But, when you think about it, there really isn't a logical reason to prohibit adult siblings from marrying. Just because most people get ill at the thought of considering their siblings in that context doesn't mean that's true for all siblings. All the same arguments in favor of gay marriage apply.

Or, of course, we could always go with my original solution. Disband the idiotic practice of marriage altogether. Then everybody's equal.

Posted by: FFS | Oct 5, 2013 4:09:30 AM