Persian Gulf Countries May Use Medical Exams to ‘Detect’ Gay Visitors

Persian_Gulf_Arab_States_englishRoutine medical examinations conducted on visitors to a group of Middle Eastern nations known as the the Gulf Cooperation Countries (GCC) may be used to "detect" gays, Gulf News reports, citing a senior Kuwaiti official:

“Health centres conduct the routine medical check to assess the health of the expatriates when they come into the GCC countries,” he said. “However, we will take stricter measures that will help us detect gays who will be then barred from entering Kuwait or any of the GCC member states,” he said, quoted by local daily Al Rai on Monday.

Homosexual acts are banned in Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, the GCC member countries.

In Bahrain, lawmakers, wary of the growing number of gays coming into the country, had pushed for a crackdown, including the adoption of tougher immigration measures and prompt deportations.

According to Yousuf Mindkar, Kuwait's director of public health, a GCC committee will consider the move on a meeting in mid-November.  Sexual acts between members of the same sex is prohibited in the GCC countries, and prison times in Kuwait in particular can be up to 10 years if any of the participants are younger than 21.

Two years ago, 127 gay men were arrested in Bahrain for what authorities called a "depraved and decadent" party.  Earlier this year, a 39-country poll conducted by the Pew Research Center found the Middle East to be the most intolerant region in the world towards gays and lesbians, along with sub-Saharan Africa.  In addition, the report found slim evidence that attitudes in the region were shifting towards increased tolerance.

Comments

1. Just Sayin' says

Wait…if they can perform a medical exam, of sorts, to prove homosexuality, that would therefore indicate that it is biologically based and the Middle Easterners must have located the “gay gene” or some other scientific proof. Doesn’t that sort of contradict the religious zealots’ around the world (not just in the ME), idea of being LBGT is a choice. Sucks when your own hate gets in the way of your agenda. Just Sayin’

2. Bill says

@ Just Sayin': they were referring to a medical “check” that might indicate homosexual activity, regardless of one’s innate sexual orientation. It also apparently applies to expatriates, not visitors. Whether the “check” is an exam or simply some form they have to fill out is not clear.

They might try an HIV test in order to make sure that they do not have to pay any of the cost of treatment – you don’t let them back in in the hope that someone else picks up the tab.

3. AngelaChanning says

There are a few folks that may have to travel to these countries for their job. Fortunately, if that were the case at my employer, one would be off the hook if they expressed a concern about business travel there. While it may be easy to say find another job, it may not be as quick and easy.

4. says

My family lives in Saudi Arabia. I travel to all of the above mentioned countries regularly and have never had anything happen to me. I was in Bahrain when the referenced 127 person party happened. That was horrible.

I go there to visit my family and despite the comments about it being dirty and just desert, it’s actually quite stunning. I have photos on my blog if you want to check it out. Some of the most beautiful beaches, oasises, and architecture in the world can be found in the GCC.

I can’t imagine how this would be enforced anyways. The immigration process through Bahrain (easier than Saudi) is simply a 1/4 sheet of paper with check boxes and a few places to put in your name and local address. The first time I went there I didn’t even fill it out, just walked through and paid customs my 8 bucks or so.

Either way, yes it’s absolutely horrible, it’s impossible to enforce and we shouldn’t judge people or places simply by the actions of their governments. I’m out to a many Saudis and they could not care less 😀

Cheers!

5. litper says

Justin, it might look pretty outside, it’s still dirty inside, just like dirty minds of these sick people! Islam is not compatible with Moden society.

6. Michael says

“Oh Honey!!! Where shall we go this year for our summer vacation? Rio? Paris? Milan? Rome? Kuwait?… Kuwait??? That’s what I was thinking! Fabulous! Soak up the crude oil, marvel at their oppression, maybe get some lashing! Wonderful!”

Who in the f*ck is going to Kuwait?

7. DannyEastVillage says

This is mind blowing: medical care in SA and Kuwait would be as good as any on the planet. God knows those countries can afford it. So how can their pracitioners…ohforgetit.

8. The Milkman says

Maybe they’ll just sneak up behind you and yell “clang clang clang!” If you reflexively say “went the trolley” then you’re deported to the south of France.

9. litper says

The only countries which still keep criminal punishment for gays are islamic ones. We should face the truth, and accept that Islam is our main enemy!

10. Kev C says

It’s like the State Dept finds the most homophobic countries in the world, and invites them into the US. Russia, East Africa, Dominican Republic, muslim Middle East .. come on in. Make yourself at home.

It almost seems like the Democrats hate gays and love homophobes.

11. simon says

I have never been there. But I can imagine they have very modern architectures simply because they have oil. They are also quite conservative and have some draconian laws. Some foreigners may not be aware of these things. If you are not careful, you can be put to death if you enter with a small amount of drugs.

12. Speedieg says

Not to be gross, but it assume they will search for signs of anal sodomy. This was a common practice in many countries to determine the guilt of those accused in the 19th century. I’m not sure this works of course as despite numerous physical exams my doctore was unaware I was gay until I introduced him to my partner.

13. GB says

Yes, and yesterday that chicken place was anti-human. Gays are despised. We would have been better off without the American media spot light shining so brightly. You don’t realize how our rights tantrum was viewed in other cultures and religions. It’s a life and death issue now.

14. Kev C says

And what does the US and European governments plan on doing about this discrimination? Maybe some sort of boycott, or referendum of condemnation, or maybe less muslim immigration? Nope, gays should avoid those countries.

Maybe gays should visit those countries MORE until it forces the government to do something.

15. Lee says

And yet everyone on this blog is so quick to denounce Israel the only country in this whole region that gives us an once of respect and go out of their way to excuse the Islamic savages

16. Topol says

Thinking about this some more, straights have the most to fear. The medical tests can turn up gay where no gay exists.

The rest of us won’t be going there anyway.

17. Kev C says

Anal probes never lie. Frankly, the Arabs have anal-probe technology that is far superior to our anal-probe technology. We need to close this anal-probe gap that lets many closeted gays slip through the crack.

18. Daya says

The Gov’t of Kuwait has a very short memory. Just a hand full of years ago, there was no longer a country called Kuwait. It was the USA that lead the way to freeing that country and it’s people. Putting our young men and women, many who were DADT gays, in harms way. Ah yes, good deeds never go unpunished…

19. 604brian says

I have had a few gay friends who worked in Riyadh in health care. They said that they were approached and were able to have sex with local Arab men whenever they were in need. Apparently it is like a prison state, the women would be killed for sex act out of marriage, so the men look to other men. And the foreign workers fill the need. The men justified their acts as ‘not gay’ as they filled the role of the aggressor/top/dominant in the act.
    If the religious police were to find out, it would be dangerous, but it was silent but accepted around the areas populated by ex-pats in larger cities.

Why do people move to these places.. the $$$$$$, simple.

20. hell-O says

interesting how the discriminated-against in the west have learned well how to discriminate towards others; so easy for us to generalize about others’ issues when we’ve finally got our human-rights-foot in the door, eh?

21. MIke says

Uhm, kids, they’re not going to look at the holes.
    They will most likely be running rapid HIV tests. You know,
    HIV=faggolah. Be a clean rich and discreet gay and they will most likely welcome your HIV negative $$$. Spend it on JLo concerts or maybe Aniston will be back in town to open a 70 story hotel. There’s lots for gays to do there!

22. Bill says

And yet you read that Pakistan is supposed to be a “Gay Paradise” because men and women are segregated at puberty and horny guys simply screw each other until their forced family marriages and then, what the hell, old habits die hard, they just keep on pluggin each other after their tender honeymoons are over. Middle east, DOWN LOW capital of the universe!

23. Art Weiss says

“Expatriates” “Expatriates” “Expatriates”
    Not visitors. I’m really getting sick and tired of scare headlines that are not supported by the information in the article.

24. Kev C says

Jamal49, Democrats are in charge of the State Dept. Democrats are in charge of the states with the most immigration. Democrats are the ones currently pushing for greater immigration (from homophobic countries).

The Tsarnaev brothers called Berklee their home, one of the most liberal democrat counties in the USA. The Tsarnaev brothers are american citizens. Thank you liberals.

25. Rick says

The real question is why are so many gay foreigners visting these countries if they REALLY ARE “anti-gay”?

And the answer is that bisexuality is rampant among Arab men and hot, young guys are easy to come by for the Western visitor, as I discovered long ago.

The “anti-gay” attitudes and policies are just the official party line, but they have no effect on what actually happens at street level.

I don’t know what kind of test they are talking about doing, but they will never catch those of us who are discreet and masculine…..and who will continue to enjoy the “fruits” of the Arab world on our many visits there.

26. Ninong says

@KEV C: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev came to the U.S. in April 2002 with his parents and his brother Tamerlan followed in 2004. I believe the Bush-Cheney Republicans were in charge of the country from January 2001 until January 2009.

27. RexT says

I’m curious what medical ‘tests’ they speak of for their expatriate populations (upon arrival). My job had me working in all of the UAE Nations during the 90’s – which I quite enjoyed in spite of their religious based discrimination. My local colleagues knew I was Gay – and cared not at all, many of them well connected – good, bad or otherwise. Legal efforts to further their discriminatory policies will not benefit their future and are shameful! Saudi Arabia is in a class of it’s own!

28. Kev C says

Rectal exams. Hopefully they use rubber gloves.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was granted political asylum in 2002 and granted citizenship on September 11, 2012. Tamerlane’s citizenship was pending.

29. bravo says

I think my doctor knew I was gay when he went to give me a prostate exam, said “This is going to hurt” and when he stuck his finger in my ass, I said, “I can’t really feel that, can you stick in another finger or two?”