Breckin Meyer | Kiss | Ryan Philippe

Ryan Phillippe and Breckin Meyer's Deleted Kissing Scene From '54' Surfaces: VIDEO

Phillippe Meyer

In an interview with The Advocate back in 2010, Ryan Phillippe dished about a "secret" uncut version of the film 54 that included a kiss between him and Breckin Meyer. Well that secret kiss has now found it's way to the internet for our viewing pleasure. The quality may not be the best, but it's still totally worth watching.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...(skip to 1:40 for the kiss)

[via VJBrendan]

Comments

1. @Daws I'm with you!

Posted by: chuckles | Oct 3, 2013 10:57:24 AM

2. Interesting to see this. I had heard rumors that the film that was released commercially and the film that the director had originally cut were radically different. Apparently the distributor, MiraMax got cold feet when they saw the director's cut because there were explicit sex scenes (gay and straight), the drug use was much more blatant, and the character that was Steve Rubell was much more cynical and sinister. The film ran longer and MiraMax felt that the film was promoting gay sex, drug use and was "too down". Much of the film makes no sense and as someone who was there, it's sort of like a G-rated version of what REALLY went on at Studio 54. Too bad. The commercial film was a dud. Viewing this cut scene, one gets the idea that the film could have been much much better.

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 3, 2013 11:34:23 AM

3. I've heard there's a director's cut of this movie that is really good. I choose to believe it because Mark Christopher's short films were so good that I just can't believe the movie was what he wanted it to be.

Posted by: Daniel | Oct 3, 2013 11:48:03 AM

4. I saw the secret director's cut that screened at Outfest several years back. If I remember correctly, after Miramax saw the director's cut, they wanted him to completely change the film and promote Mike Myers and Neve Campbell from supporting characters to lead roles. Since the movie was already filmed and the director saw no way to logically do that, the film was taken away from him and recut by someone else into the incoherent mess that everyone else eventually saw. The director's cut was, quite literally, a completely different film and it was very good. Trouble is, the stakeholders at Miramax from the time, who might be inclined towards restoring the director's original vision, no longer own the company. Disney took the company from the Weinsteins, destroyed it, then sold it to another company, and it's now pretty much focused solely on milking that old cow (e.g. licensing its existing library to cable, internet and foreign entities). They don't make original content anymore, and allowing the director to have his film back to re-edit would essentially be new content.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Oct 3, 2013 12:45:30 PM

5. Went to 54 when it was in its heyday. Hard to explain to people now what it was like. Hundreds of people in the street trying to get in. The energy. The mix of people. The impact. It was the center of the paparazzi/media world. Whatever happened there was splashed on to magazines and newspapers by the next day. I can't think of any equivalent since then.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Oct 3, 2013 2:03:29 PM

6. I went to 54 in it's heyday too, and knew Steve Rubell. This film showed the club as if it were 2001 Odyssey in Saturday Night Fever. They couldn't have gotten it (and Steve) more wrong. That said, I would still like to see the uncut version of the film.

I still miss those days, when it all was new…

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Oct 3, 2013 2:27:33 PM

7. and now I'll be rewatching Studio 54, which is conveniently on Netflix. :-)

Posted by: NE1 | Oct 3, 2013 3:05:37 PM

8. the film was neutered, in many ways. a film about the decadent rise and fall of the epicenter of NYC nightlife and it was so pg-13 sanitized that the strongest drug reference in the film is Neve Campbell talking about how much coffee she's had that day.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Oct 3, 2013 3:14:40 PM

9. @DAWS, I agree, agree, agree. WHY WHY WHY WHY would that be cut from the film.

Posted by: Stephen | Oct 3, 2013 4:01:47 PM

10. @Will
    "Really, some of you seem so hard up for male contact of any kind on film, you'll applaud a gay-kiss rejection."

Yeah, no kidding. So what's your point?

Posted by: Mike | Oct 3, 2013 4:18:21 PM

11. It's really more of a "stunt kiss" - since the camera angle, the actors' heads, and Phillippe's shoulder block the audience from seeing any real mouth-to-mouth contact.

Posted by: Fox | Oct 3, 2013 4:29:46 PM

12. OK. Now how about the whole director's cut?

Posted by: Randy | Oct 3, 2013 4:42:23 PM

13. I wish around back in the 1970s to go to 54. My dad was in his 20s back then and said it was insanely wild. His stories are unbelievable!!

Posted by: hot dumb italian mike | Oct 3, 2013 8:07:28 PM

14. THATWASSODAMNHOT.

Posted by: bostonbeat | Oct 3, 2013 8:49:51 PM

15. After watching this I had dreams of me getting nailed by John Arbuckle while Garfield was uploading it all to Facebook.

Posted by: TODD | Oct 3, 2013 10:11:49 PM

16. The workprint is out there on the net, just do a search for 54 Workprint and several trading sites have it. I've had it since the movie came out; I used to be in that trading scene. It's a completely different movie and has around 30 extra minutes. From what I recall , it's a better film, although it's messed up at times... some scenes don't go anywhere plot wise, etc, but it's an early cut.

Posted by: mike | Oct 3, 2013 11:53:07 PM

17. Yawn! By now we should be seeing complete gay characters with full lives.

Posted by: RK | Oct 4, 2013 2:25:31 PM

18. That film is almost hilarious now - a sanitised late-90s take on the ultra hedonistic 70s. Who knew it would fail?!

Posted by: Tristram | Oct 6, 2013 12:08:44 PM

19. Was it really that hot? I wish I knew. Miramax has claimed copyright violation and pulled the clip.

Posted by: Steve T. | Jan 17, 2014 8:00:39 PM

20. Ryan was in his prime then. Only stop looking
    at him long enough to look at Brecken.

Posted by: John P. | Jan 22, 2014 3:01:51 PM