John Boehner | Michelle Bachmann | Miley Cyrus | News | Saturday Night Live

Miley Cyrus Plays Michele Bachmann in SNL Government Shutdown Skit: VIDEO

Miley_snl

In Saturday Night Live's cold open last night, Miley Cyrus from the past (left) came to warn present day Miley Cyrus that her MTV VMAs performance was going to cause the U.S. government to shut down.

But the shutdown jokes did not stop there.

Bachmann_cyrus

In a subsequent skit, Cyrus and the SNL cast spoofed her hit video "We Can't Stop" with a Republican party version called "We Did Stop (The Government)" and Cyrus took on the role of an out-of-control Michele Bachmann, partying with House Speaker John Boehner.

Watch both clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Boehner_stop

Cold open:

"We Did Stop (the Government)"

Comments

1. I can't bring myself to watch this train wreck

Posted by: zedd | Oct 6, 2013 10:11:23 AM

2. Scathing satire and spot-on political commentary. Reminds me of the good old days of SNL.

Posted by: Gigi | Oct 6, 2013 10:19:14 AM

3. LOL. "The good old days of SNL" would have torn Miley Cyrus a new ahole on their opening show after her disastrous career realignment and most certainly would never have such a lightweight host and musical guest. And I'm talking the GOOD OLD days of SNL.

Posted by: MIke | Oct 6, 2013 10:33:22 AM

4. And how edgy for Miley to mock Republicans. Gurl, you are radical.
    Meanwhile Obama is slamming Ted Cruz with "When I was in the Senate, the media barely noticed me and I never notice them." Will someone give this man his Oscar already? Oh, Jeez and Louise.

Posted by: MIke | Oct 6, 2013 10:53:19 AM

5. Mike does have a point that mocking Republicans is too easy. How can you top the clown car that is the real world Tea Party?

Posted by: tranquilo | Oct 6, 2013 11:36:03 AM

6. The pics of the skits make me cringe. I simply cannot bring myself to watch these. Somewhere in the universe Gilda Radner is giving Lorne Michaels a side-eye.

Posted by: greg | Oct 6, 2013 11:48:30 AM

7. This is the best they can do with the shutdown as a topic? Where is the satire?

Posted by: Joe in Ct | Oct 6, 2013 12:10:56 PM

8. anything that makes fun of Boehner and Bachmann scores points for me....the skit was not really my type, but the message was quite clear.......Ms. Bachmann will now have to do 20 hail Marys for this!

Posted by: Bernie | Oct 6, 2013 1:12:56 PM

9. The skits were hit and miss, as usual (but the We Did Stop the Government one was very funny.) However, she killed it in her two live songs, particularly the unplugged version of We Can't Stop.

Posted by: MikeMB | Oct 6, 2013 1:36:55 PM

10. I personally think that that so-called parody was disgusting and pointless. It was obvious that Taran Killiam, the guy playing Speaker Boehner, had his package effectually-enhanced with a sock or two, although his bare rear end did look nice. But still the skit was not very well-written or enacted.

Posted by: HAGATHA | Oct 6, 2013 1:45:23 PM

11. I think it's funny how the One Million Moms are now posting comments in Towleroad.

Posted by: TowsonMdGuy | Oct 6, 2013 1:58:27 PM

12. Not all gays want to be associated with Miley's brand of brainless degeneracy. She makes conservatives look good in comparison. Even Michelle Bachmann.

Posted by: Kev C | Oct 6, 2013 2:03:11 PM

13. Nobody said anything about all the gays liking Miley, Kev C. Put some starch in those panties.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhousen | Oct 6, 2013 2:09:02 PM

14. Nor did I say it was about "liking Miley" but about being a braindead pervert, Anastasia.

Posted by: Kev C | Oct 6, 2013 2:18:03 PM

15. All the pitiful losers and priggish prudes attacking Miley Cyrus should remember that she is worth over 120 million dollars that she has earned on her own, that her video for "Wrecking Ball" has over 195 million hits, that the same song is number one on the Billboard charts and in Internet downloads, and that she has hosted SNL. How many of those things have any of you ever done?

Posted by: RonCharles | Oct 6, 2013 2:34:54 PM

16. Maybe instead of worshipping money, you could get some class and self-respect, Ron Charles. Hint: you can't buy it.

Posted by: Kev C | Oct 6, 2013 2:43:46 PM

17. I'm not a Miley fan because I've never listened to one of her songs, but the We Did Stop (the Government) skit was hilarious, even though I wasn't aware it was parodying one of her videos until this morning.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Oct 6, 2013 2:47:43 PM

18. And the clever thing about it, of course, is it merely reframes the Republican's actions in a more recognizable or even shopworn formula for decadence. In fact if, per the dictionary, "decadence" is a kind of self-indulgence that limns a decline in ethical traditions, it describes the actions of Boehner perfectly. The inmates are running the asylum of the Grand Old Party.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Oct 6, 2013 2:52:44 PM

19. Kev C; Shut up, you speak like Sarah Palin

Posted by: jjose712 | Oct 6, 2013 3:01:37 PM

20. The skit actually enhanced Republicans. The Boehner character had a nice ass. The pace and frantic quality was barely satire. It helped the "enemy"

Posted by: Gee | Oct 6, 2013 3:24:01 PM

21. What has Miley ever done for the gay communiry7 She allegedly refuses to include the gay male aesthetic in her videos. She is managed by the same creeps who manage Britney. I also heard her new album is mediocre.

Stop promoting her.

Posted by: Adrenan P | Oct 6, 2013 4:26:49 PM

22. Perfect political parody! This "We Can Stop (The Government)" video is hilarious. Omg, this made my entire weekend!
    Thanks for sharing, Andy.

Posted by: Marc | Oct 6, 2013 4:43:12 PM

23. Great skit. Satire suits her. Just hope she invests well now, and the joke's not on her when it fades. And..don't know about John's boehner, but his ass is fine.

Posted by: dixichuk | Oct 6, 2013 4:50:28 PM

24. @Adrenan: "What has Miley ever done for the gay communiry7" (sic).

In an interview in 2010, she expressed support for gay marriage. A year later, she got a tiny equal sign tattoo and tweeted "All LOVE is equal".

I have no problem with people not liking her music, performances, or public persona. But make no mistake...she is an ally.

Posted by: alex | Oct 6, 2013 5:56:24 PM

25. @HAGATHA

humm, you just love living in a world where everything is wrong.

Posted by: NAGATHA | Oct 6, 2013 6:01:29 PM