Man Beaten in Alleged Anti-Gay Hate Crime in Williamsburg, Brooklyn

Jimenez

David Jimenez tells the Brooklyn Paper that he was beaten in an anti-gay hate crime last Thursday morning:

David Jimenez, who lives around the block from the attack, said he had just escorted some friends to catch a cab and was walking his dogs when he passed a group of men hanging out on the stoop of a building on S. Third Street between Bedford Avenue and Berry Street.

Someone started screaming, ‘Hey you, f—–,” said Jimenez. “I turned around and gave him a look like, ‘What the hell?’ and the next thing I know the guy starts punching me in the face.”

Jimenez said he tried to defend himself, but could not because he was struggling to hold on to his dogs’ leashes.

The assailant broke Jimenez’s nose in four places and broke his eye socket, Jimenez said.

A 35-year-old man has been arrested in the attack and charged with assault, criminal possession of a controlled substance, and resisting arrest.

Jimenez hopes that the NYPD will add 'hate crime' to that list of charges.

Comments

1. Robert says

Forget charging him with a hate crime, why not charge him under the terrorism act? This is obviously part of a more systemic threat to our liberties and we need to treat it as such.

2. OMG Really says

Except that trumping-up fake “terrorism” charges is hardly intelligent or something ANY American should be proud of.

It amazes me how asinine and hysterical people get. The Patriot Act and the trumping-up and application of the label “terrorist” is being used to oppress ALL of us, and anyone advocating anything but the abolishment of this idiotic trend should be ridiculed for being the idiots they are.

3. unruly says

He needs bigger dogs. If someone came to approach me while walking my dogs they’d be lucky to get that close by suprise and if they did make contact, they wouldn’t survive for much longer.

4. PAUL B. says

OMG…you think you could express yourself without all the name-calling? Give it a shot. I’m sure we all want to hear what you really have to say…NOT!

5. Robert says

Actually, this is what the terrorism legislation should be used for, not hunting down nameless organizations that may or may not exist, causing a greater threat than some nameless fear of another religion in the process. If you actually thought instead of reacted, you’d understand my point.

6. ratbastard says

Now that’s a genuine beating. Sometimes I see pics of some people who’ve been ‘beaten’ and they have a few scratches. A real beat down involves broken nose, black eyes, fractures, etc.,

I hope Mr. Jimenez recovers OK. And yes, a hate crime charge would be icing on the cake. I just hope Mr. Jimenez doesn’t have o deal with any fallout from his assailant’s ‘boys’, who are probably hood rats.

7. theotherlee says

Perhaps if this guy didn’t flaunt his sexuality he would been on the receiving end of such brutality. We are our own worst enemy.

Posted by: Adam | Oct 2, 2013 12:39:30 PM

Ummm.. where is walking friends to a cab, and walking your dogs “flaunting” his sexuality?? You seem to be creating a lot of information that is neither detailed here, or in the linked article.

I think you might have some deep-seated internalized homophobia.. Unless, of course, you’re just a drive by “hetero” troll…

8. Adam says

TheOtherLee: perhaps if he took on a more naturally masculine demeanor he would not be subject to such harassment. He did not bring this attack on himself, but he certainly didn’t do himself any favors by being so visibly effeminate. And talking back to the thug only made it worse.

9. theotherlee says

——————————————-

Posted by: Adam | Oct 2, 2013 1:16:34 PM
    ——————————————-
    And, again, where are you seeing this “so visibly effeminate” appearance/behavior? Is there video I missed somewhere, where he’s lispy, or wearing a glittery tiara? Where are you basing these “observations” from?

You know, screw that.. should a woman be raped because she dresses provocatively? Because by going with your “logic” here, she must be asking for it, like *any* effeminate gay male is, for being who they are… right?

10. Pookie says

I bet he has little yappy dogs. My German Sheppard’s would have torn an attacker to pieces.

And I would have probably let them, except for the fear that somebody might insist they be put-down after.

11. Derrick from Philly says

@ “They are trolling comments by Little Kiwi, who is obsessed with masculinity/femininity issues.”

Huh? If Kiwi is obsessed then what does that make Rick’s speaking points on the subject? A casual interest? Every other day Rick comes on this blog to give a damn treatise on the “culture of effeminacy”.

Sh.t. The “culture of a lunatic”.

12. frank says

I live in Williamsburg and have carried a knife since all these bashings started. I recommend others do the same – no one else will stick up for you in those situations.

13. tonyc says

I look at two local news stations in NYC..not one word I’ve heard of this..and yes NYC is very hush hush …hugs to you David..let us know if we (I) can do anything for you

14. Jeton Ademaj says

i look forward to an eventual report of a gay-basher getting struck down in an attempted attack. arm yourselves, train yourselves, bcuz holding candlelight vigils wont do jack…and ‘educating the children’ wont do anything for *decades*.

a curse of doom on ANYONE who tells Queer people we must be pacifists or unarmed.

15. Derrick from Philly says

@ ” I look forward to an eventual report of a gay-basher getting struck down in an attempted attack.”

Jeton,

Google “Lucas Dawson + self defense”.

It was an incident that occured here in Philadelphia about 6 years ago. I know I should simply give you an web address to the story, but I get dizzy trying to copy addresses correctly.

Also, “Lucas Dawson + Philadelphia Daily News” should bring up the news story.

16. Jeton Ademaj says

thank you Derrick. i can see his conviction was thrown out, but i hope to find more details to know if i can say for sure that *i’d love to see more such incidents*. there’s great horror in having to hurt someone under ANY circumstances, but it is dwarfed by the horror of being victimized or killed in the name of blind hatred.

even worse when one is brainwashed into allowing oneself to be hurt or killed by blind hatred, as if self-defense were some sort of decadent, unenlightened indulgence.

17. Jeton Ademaj says

theotherlee, that’s a fabulous link…i remember seeing that exact link years ago and commenting that *nowhere in the article is the sexual orientation of the drag queens identified*.