Discrimination | Travel

Company Offers Vegas Vacation To Couple, Rescinds It Because They Are Gay

Dan and Tim

A few nights ago, Tim Seelig of the San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus received a phone call from a company called Best Vacations Ever offering a time share trip to Las Vegas, Orlando, and New Orleans. After consulting with his partner Dan England and deciding on a travel date, they bought the vacation package. All went well until Dan called the company yesterday to book reservations and the representative noticed that both names were male. From Tim's Facebook wall:

They were most helpful until [Dan] said the 2nd person was named Tim. They asked if that was a male? Seriously? She said, "Please hold a moment." After 5 minutes or so, she came back on line and said, "I'm so sorry, we don't allow same sex couples to use the Vegas vacation offer." We have spent the entire day in shock. Dan talked to 3 people at the company. I talked to another 3 people there. There is nothing to be done. They do not consider "co-habitating couples" to be within their demographic for potential time share sales, so we are not allowed.

Interestingly, "homophobic discrimination" is not listed on the website's "What You Can Expect" page. Feel free to let them know of this oversight through the use of their Contact page.

AN UPDATE from Tim Seelig:

Update on Vacation saga. In spite of 6 different people emphatically stating that they would not book a reservation for us in Las Vegas. I received this e-mail moments ago. By the way, many of you have posted on the company's web site! Thank you. It at least got their attention and that is the point of this entire mess. Who knows, maybe we'll even get them to zoom into this century and use the term sexual orientation instead of preference.

Tim,
First and foremost I would like to express my most sincere apologies on behalf of the company for the way in which this matter was handled. Allow me to clear the air for you at this time.

In addressing Dan's request for reservations to our Las Vegas destination our customer care agent made a mistake, and informed Dan that he was unable to travel to Las Vegas due to his sexual preference. That information was entirely inaccurate. We accept all couples regardless of their sexual preference. We do not at this point, nor have we ever prevented a guest/couple from traveling to one of our properties due to their sexual preference. That is not our policy.

If you and Dan can find it in your hearts to forgive us for this huge error, and ultimately to give us another chance, we can assure you that we will do everything in our power to bring you back to the point in which you were at when you initially agreed to this purchase, as we are able to fulfill your package exactly as we initially promised intended to do.

Please advise;

Kenneth Branch
Preferred Guest Resorts
Quality Assurance Manager
407-215-2099 (Extension 22335)

Comments

1. Why did they assume the couple was gay in the first place? Can't platonic friends travel together?

Posted by: Alan | Nov 1, 2013 2:35:40 PM

2. Hi,

I'm the Dan in the Dan & Tim. Thank you Towleroad for the post and thanks to the above for the comments. It looks like we indeed changed the needle for the company.

1) This is (no longer) their policy to discriminate against LGBT's

2) They've disposed of the word Preference (of which my sexual preference is kindness).

Thanks again for your comments and support.

(ps - don't hate on those of us who like tacky gaudy! I get it from my mother) :)

Posted by: Dan England | Nov 1, 2013 2:43:56 PM

3. I received this from Kenneth Branch as well:

Erin,

Please understand that it is not our policy to prevent couples from traveling to any of our properties due to their sexual orientation.

What occurred was truly unfortunate, and we are in the process of addressing the matter both internally and externally.
    Our management has since reached out to the affected couple, and extended our most sincere apologies for their obvious inconvenience.
    We have also educated our entire staff, as our agents were clearly at fault in rejecting this gentleman's reservation request
    based on the couples same sex status. Same sex couples are welcome at all of our properties, and always have been.

In the event you wish to discuss the matter further, please feel free to contact us directly for immediate assistance in the matter.

Preferred Guest Resorts
    Quality Assurance Department

It would seem that Best Vacations Ever is in scramble mode. Let's hope they can do better than this apology, because if not, I see a rather lengthy legal battle in their future.

Posted by: Erin | Nov 1, 2013 2:47:30 PM

4. I encourage everyone to drop a message on the link provided to Best Vacation Ever and Preferred Guest Resorts. I did. They need to hear from all of us. This b.s. discrimination has to stop.

Posted by: jamal49 | Nov 1, 2013 2:54:06 PM

5. I am just amused at how much backtracking they're doing. They probably know the consequences. Seriously, you cannot do this anymore, at this age, that's a bad idea.

Posted by: Rallyx | Nov 1, 2013 3:58:03 PM

6. I wouldn't go on a time-share sales vacation unless I were deaf and until Google perfects their Google glasses.

Posted by: BobN | Nov 1, 2013 6:15:14 PM

7. @Rallyx: what probably happened is that the flap started and they ran it by their legal department, which informed them of the Unruh Civil Rights act, amended many times to include more classes of citizens that need protection.

When informed of what some low-level peon's homophobia would cost them, the guys at the top reacted really, really quickly.

The really interesting story would be what they did to the homophobe - the management may or may not care about gay rights, but they definitely care about the bottom line.

Posted by: Bill | Nov 1, 2013 11:25:08 PM

8. Wait, when did Tim break up with Shawn Northcutt?

Posted by: Jerry | Nov 2, 2013 1:17:32 AM

9. It was probably the best thing this company did was to stop anyone from buying a timeshare! They are NOT investments. If they were investments then why are so many of them selling on the secondary market for less than 2000.00?????? DRI is the worst! Upgrade, upgrade and upgrade more....

Posted by: Michael | Nov 4, 2013 12:28:00 AM

10. Yeah, it is a chosen "preference" for us to be mistreated by motherfucking assholes like them on a regular basis!

Posted by: Excuse Me! | Nov 4, 2013 7:26:56 PM

11. Wow, I was looking up Las Vegas golf specials for a vacation for my girlfriend and I. Shes a huge golf fan! But I don't understand why people are so concerned about what is going on in someone else's bedroom. I don't think it is anyones business. I am glad to hear that the resort did try to make it better though.

Posted by: lauren jonczak | Jan 3, 2014 10:55:56 AM