Lady Gaga | Madonna | News

Lady Gaga Previews SNL Appearance, Talks Madonna with Howard Stern: VIDEO

Snl_gaga

Lady Gaga hosts SNL this week as she continues a massive promo tour for ARTPOP.

Watch the previews, AFTER THE JUMP...

She also appeared on The Howard Stern Show for a nearly two-hour interview where talked at length about her feud with Perez Hilton:

"What happened was we were doing an interview -- I took two days out of my schedule when I was on a world tour to do an interview for him ... and in the middle of the interview he started asking me really terrible questions and he was being very negative about 'Born This Way' and we had had a lot to drink. He was supposed to be my friend and I felt betrayed, so I started crying. And then my friend had to come in and pull the camera out, they wouldn't turn the cameras off...And then he apologized, but I sort of felt like it was like, 'But I'm Perez Hilton so I'm allowed to treat you this way.' I looked at him and said, 'Just because you are who you are, does not mean that our friendship doesn't mean anything when the cameras turn on. So, now I see who you really are.' And I was done after that. And he's just mad that I don't want to hang out anymore because I don't want to be around fake people. I really believed, when I first met him, that he wanted to change. I really believed that he wanted to bully people less on his site and that he wanted to move into a more positive space. I was really there for him and I really supported him."

She said the feud was rooted in Madonna:

That's sort of the center of it and no one has really said that or admitted to it. It's silly...There's always this pissing match: Did she take her torch, you know, is she the new her? Is she going to outlast her or not? And there's this thing with some people that I'm a 'threat to the throne' and I don't want your ... throne. And no thanks, and I have my own. And I don't actually want a throne at all because I don't view myself as a queen. I view myself as one of my fans and that's it."

On her marijuana addiction:

"It seems that young people think that you can’t be addicted to it, but you can. And I couldn’t live without it. I mean, I would wake up at five in the morning, smoke, go back to sleep."

Listen to the whole interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Howard Stern:

Comments

1. Yawn.

Posted by: Knock | Nov 13, 2013 1:36:15 PM

2. She's a human, I'd say. An extreme marketing human.

Posted by: Dan Zam | Nov 13, 2013 1:40:47 PM

3. personally, i don't understand why every generation's female pop stars are pitted against one another.

why must it be "VS", y'know? we don't have fueds and VS BATTLES between billy joel, paul simon, david bowie, mick jagger, elton john, peter gabriel, phil collins, etc.

and yet, it's always Woman A VS Woman B. it's ridiculous. there's room enough for all!

p.s. cyndi lauper would win, anyway ;-)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 13, 2013 1:45:13 PM

4. who cares.. Will the real Stephanie Germanotta come out... The one who attended most expensive high school in NYC, the one who had free ride at NYU, the one who had recording contracts prior and they were cancelled because she didn't have "it" factor. She was conceived and incubated by others... here "little monsters" don't have anything in common with this little rich girl from the upper east side.

Posted by: ds | Nov 13, 2013 1:48:38 PM

5. Hijack! If you hate these terrible comments that undermine all efforts on this site, it's time to complain to Andy directly! If you want to help FIX THIS, please email/tweet/FB Andy and ask him to upgrade these comments. At the very least lets get a post that starts a discussion on it!

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 13, 2013 1:49:49 PM

6. I'm not saying none of the criticisms against her aren't valid, but she seems to get extra scrutiny just for the sake of it. She's just a pop star, no matter how silly she acts, so relax with the hyperbolic take downs of the woman. It's ridiculous.

Posted by: jeff | Nov 13, 2013 1:54:23 PM

7. Not to put too fine a point on it, but, you can be PSYCHOLOGICALLY (that's mentally, folks) addicted to ANYTHING.

Pot is not physically addicting. Period. There are no physiological withdrawal symptoms from the cessation of using marijuana whatsoever.

Posted by: johnny | Nov 13, 2013 1:59:31 PM

8. She's right about marijuana addiction. It CAN be addictive -- as can caffeine and a plethora of other substances. But let's not ignore the fact that cannabis is less addictive than other drugs and even less addictive than nicotine and caffeine, but those are legal. AND, the long-term physiological effects of cannabis addiction are practically nil.

Posted by: Jay | Nov 13, 2013 2:03:20 PM

9. amen, Jeff. to the people who seem to have a vested interest in dislike lady gaga - what the heck have you done to empower millions of LGBT youth lately :D

you don't have to listen to her music or like her. it's just so odd that a bunch of grown men come on here to get all upset that millions of young LGBT (and straight but not narrow) people are enjoying her, feeling empowered, and are moved by what she does. why do you get all bent out of whack because someone you like inspires others?

talk about a misplacement of energy.....

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 13, 2013 2:05:45 PM

10. I heard the interview and performances on the Howard Stern Show and came away with a renewed respect for Gaga. She was open, honest, polite, and completely non-pretentious. She showed up an hour before the interview to do vocal exercises and when she sat down at the piano, her performances were powerful. There is absolutely no disputing her talent. I don't understand the need that some people, particularly LGBT people, have to bash her. She seems pretty damned awesome to me.

Posted by: Walt NYC | Nov 13, 2013 2:20:53 PM

11. I sometimes wonder if she ever sleeps.

Of course pot can be addictive. Something doesn't have to be physically addictive to have a strong hold on people. I've known people heavily addicted to ketamine, GHB, and other things that have no physical component to their use. I think nearly everyone has an addiction, it's just that most are addicted to cleaning or fishing or exercise or something else that's (usually) not damaging.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 13, 2013 2:24:13 PM

12. @Little Kiwi: Of course there's room for all of them. And most of them would readily admit that. But the truth is that there is one particular female artist from Bay City, Michigan, who imagines that she sits atop a throne and everyone else is out to knock her off.

Don't get me wrong, I think Madonna is wicked smart. She makes fantastic music, and has completely mastered the publicity game. But therein lies the problem. Some people -- artists included -- care a lot more about music and don't give a sh*t about any games/feuds/rivalries.

The funniest part about this interview, to me, was when Lady Gaga told Howard that Madonna is probably most irked by the fact that Gaga doesn't care if Madonna loves or hates her. One way to not win or lose at a game is to simply not play it.

Posted by: Lars | Nov 13, 2013 2:24:14 PM

13. The Stern interview was fantastic, as was her first 2 hour interview with him about a year ago. All the pretentiousness of her image, and her sometimes awkward self-promotion, are non-existant in these extended sessions. And, of course, her talent is on full display when she bangs out a flawless performance on the piano. Stern is no pop music fan, but he practically gushes after these sessions.

Posted by: Dave | Nov 13, 2013 2:36:26 PM

14. Memo to her rabid fans:

She can sing well on a piano but NEWSFLASH - so can millions of other people. Singing well, at the end of the day, isn't that big of an accomplishment.

Posted by: Poe | Nov 13, 2013 3:51:34 PM

15. Poe: tell that to Madonna.

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER I | Nov 13, 2013 4:03:40 PM

16. Lady Gaga is playing the game but she's playing it badly.

For example, she said in the Stern interview that she doesn't think Express Yourself and Born This Way sound alike at all. Yet in the very beginning she said she sent it to Madonna and her camp and that they approved it. Madonna's publicist denied right away that Madonna would have approved anything.

That was the point when Lady Gaga changed her tune about Madonna. At the time she was still calling her the Queen but after that... no.

I see through her Yay, she supports our rights but it doesn't change the fact that she's shady, even downright liar. If she was so above it all, she wouldn't talk about it.

Posted by: Jude | Nov 13, 2013 4:09:16 PM

17. People sure throw the word "friend" around a lot these days. I have no feelings one way or the other about her but I wonder how close they were before the interview.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Nov 13, 2013 4:13:28 PM

18. The trolling here isn't even GOOD this time. "So she can play the piano. So can a lot of people." LOL. Yeah, like me. But I also can't write pop songs. Most people can't. Guess what, she can.

Posted by: Robert | Nov 13, 2013 4:21:13 PM

19. Too much Lady Gaga on Towleroad, and it's starting to damage Andy Towle's credibility as a gay blogger.

If Andy had at least criticized Lady Gaga's collaboration with a homophobe and an accused sleazeball, he might have prevented the damage to his reputation.

Posted by: jimbryant | Nov 13, 2013 5:13:11 PM

20. Her cocaine addiction must have rubbed off on her pot smoking. Carry over.

Posted by: Kev C | Nov 13, 2013 5:30:11 PM

21. @Robert

You actually think she writes her music?

Posted by: Poe | Nov 13, 2013 5:56:03 PM

22. Her brand of revisionism doesn't shock me at all, but it certainly speaks volumes about pop music, the internet, and the illusory importance we give all of it. What will always distinguish Madonna is simply that she is of a bygone era when it genuinely counted if you managed to be heard. It gave you a cultural influence that is no longer easily definable. Obviously Andy Towle enjoys this pop singer's antics, which bothers me only because generally I enjoy his website for its broad spectrum of coverage of matters pertaining to a wider gay collective, and Lady Gaga does not speak to me on any level...nor do I feel she should given that I am in my late 30s. Gay men, even very intelligent ones, sometimes have a version of arrested development we used to call Peter Pan syndrome, and relating to 27 year-old egomaniac, often mediocre, pop stars and admiring them for their "honesty" when they probably don't even know themselves yet, no matter what pedestal they have been put on, seems like an underdevelopment of some form of intellect.

Posted by: Alex N | Nov 13, 2013 5:56:39 PM

23. love her

Posted by: reality | Nov 13, 2013 5:59:22 PM

24. Fenrox, why do you hate free speech? Does everyone have to agree about everything?

Posted by: Knock | Nov 13, 2013 6:34:05 PM