Bisexual | Georgia | News | Video

BigGayDeal.com

Strangers Raise Thousands of Dollars for Bisexual Teen Kicked Out by Parents: VIDEO

Nick, a freshman at Kennesaw State University, was kicked out of his family's home in mid-October after his father and step-mother found out that he is bisexual. Left without a car, and with very few possessions (which his family threw onto the front yard while he was at work), Nick is now on the mend, having been taken in by a work relation, Steve Bevers. Bevers set up a crowd-funding page on GoFundMe to help Nick pay for a place of his own as well as a car that would allow him to get back and forth from his college.

NickbigeorgiaHuffPost reports on the effort:

"When I heard about what happened to Nick I was flabbergasted," Bevers said in a statement to The Huffington Post. "I couldn't understand how a parent could do that. While I'm sure there are multiple sides to the story, I just was amazed. I was hurt. The first thing I asked was, 'Does he need a place to stay? Does he need some money?'"

According to a statement on the GoFundMe page, Bevers believes, "[Nick] has felt that the people most responsible for loving and protecting him through anything have turned their backs and don't care where he's sleeping, or how he's going to feed himself." He added, "We're working to show Nick that he is loved, even by strangers. That the horrible acts of some people will not be enough to stop him, and that with the help of people everywhere, he can get through this."

In just a few days, nearly 400 people have donated more than $12,000.

Nick uploaded several videos over the past couple of weeks thanking those who have donated and telling his story. He has said that he is working on registering for his spring semester and plans to buy a car with the donated funds. Both Nick and Bevers have expressed their awe at the kindness of strangers.

In response to the already incredible success of the GoFundMe campaign, Bevers told The Huffington Post, "[I am] absolutely blown away. Amazed, humbled, and once again, I had my faith in humanity restored. Bad things happen -- that will always be the truth. But what this showed me is that people want to help. People want to give, and to trust."

Watch Nick tell his story, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I don't want to be negative and fault Nick for his lucky windfall and great support system in Steve. That's true friendship and kindness at work. But this story is far too common and there are so many homeless gay kids who need similar help. Consider donating to the Ali Forney Center in NYC, the LA Gay & Lesbian Center in LA, or just about any gay resource center in any big city in the US.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Nov 5, 2013 10:17:17 PM

2. I don't want to be negative either, but I just have to ask -- has any actual journalist checked out this guy's story and made sure it's for real? A blog reposting Gofundme pages does not really help us understand the truth of a story, if you ask me.

Posted by: Q | Nov 5, 2013 10:57:58 PM

3. haha, "bisexual."

but seriously, I will assume this is true because it happens all the time. I was 17 when it happened to me in MN, and thank God people from my hotel job took me in so I could finsih high school.

I'm glad he found strength to tell the world (I felt more embarrassment and shame at the time) and that the world responded with kindness and charity.

Posted by: Ben B | Nov 6, 2013 5:59:08 AM

4. Q, at first your comment angered me for doubting, then I realized you are right. I really hope this is not a scam. I can understand why Nick might not want to reveal his last name, or place of employment, or college or location, but it doesn't inspire confidence. This is getting a lot of publicity so hopefully some legitimate source will actually confirm the truth of the situation. I'll feel better then.

Posted by: Ken | Nov 6, 2013 6:18:45 AM

5. Don't fool yourself into thinking that this is a scam. There are plenty of hateful people in this world, and some of the worst are family. His story is totally believable to me.

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 6, 2013 7:48:33 AM

6. Ben B, love your comment after the recent study said about biphobia in the gay community. Way to put this guy down even more when the poor fool is probably thinking there is such a thing as the LGBT community HA! indeed!

Posted by: Rowan | Nov 6, 2013 8:31:17 AM

7. Ben B, your comment is very droll! Wait, no, that's not it. Sounds like droll, though...

Posted by: Sam | Nov 6, 2013 9:47:58 AM

8. I think the key here is "step-mother" who probably wanted her husband all to herself and her possible kids. No word on where the birth mother is and whether she's been helping out either.

Posted by: anon | Nov 6, 2013 9:59:00 AM

9. Something seems fishy here to me. I really want to believe he's for real, but how would his step-mother clean out his bank account without his authorization? They went to his place of work and stole his car? Seems a little far-fetched.

Posted by: Sully | Nov 6, 2013 10:46:56 AM

10. Hopefully this is not a scam....a journalist (who isn't a friend) should check this out...

Posted by: Ankerich | Nov 6, 2013 11:35:03 AM

11. Wow! The majority here first jumps to the conclusion that something must be fishy here. Really? Why is doubt the first thing that pops in your pointy little heads? His bank account was probably set up when he was a minor and so required an adult to be a cosigner on the account. That is how she emptied the account. He could go after her if he can prove all the deposits were his and she took the money but it would be hard and probably not worth it.
    Good for him for taking the high road and leaving the gutter to his folks. They will one day regret this. Most families come around in time. Im glad he found a safe place to be and so many nice people have helped him out. He sounds like a good kid.

Posted by: Liam | Nov 6, 2013 11:41:01 AM

12. To be fair, you can't blame everyone for being cautious. Mrroboto has a point when they comment that Nick's story isn't the only one. And I'm sure there's going to be a sense of envy among others due to their own similar experiences but weren't as lucky as Nick is to get all the outpouring of support from others. Nice to know people do care and it does restore my faith in humanity. But there are others like Nick who aren't as fortunate as him. I doubt it's a scam. And I do wish him all the best. I just hope he realizes how fortunate he truly is. And I'm sure he does. Now he just has to watch out for those that would take advantage of him for what he's gained financially.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Nov 6, 2013 12:17:05 PM

13. Everyone has a perfect right to be cautious when giving money to anyone. Always do a little personal research and then if you decide to give, do it from your heart and don't look back.
    I hope that every person like Nick finds some support no matter where they are. The suggestion to give to organizations that directly help homeless youth is a very good idea as an alternative to giving individually.
    Best of luck Nick!