New Jersey | News

Gay Waitress Who Hoaxed Public About Homophobic Tip Appears to be a Pathological Liar: VIDEO

Morales

Dayna Morales, the Bridgewater, NJ waitress accused of hoaxing the public about a receipt she received with no tip and an anti-gay note, is apparently a pathological liar, Gannett reports:

But Morales has been caught in multiple lies, telling co-workers she shaved her head because she had brain cancer and later telling them it was her friend who had brain cancer, her colleagues and friends said.

They said she also told co-workers at a day care center where she once worked that Superstorm Sandy severely damaged her home in Stony Point, and sent a boat into her living room. Concerned co-workers dropped by her home and found only minor damage to the carpet by her front door and no sign of a boat, they said.

“Every story she comes up with has a lie,” said Julie Howat, 23, of Pomona.

Morales also told people she was a former Marine who served in Afghanistan and that she was the sole survivor of an explosion that killed everyone in her platoon. But:

A spokesman for the Marines, Major Shawn Haney, said in an email that Morales had served in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve from July 13, 2009, to May 21, 2013 at the rank of Lance Corporal, E-3, as an administrative specialist. She was assigned to the Marine Air Group 49, 4th Marine Air Wing out of Newburgh and deployed from April to June 2012 to Romania as part of the Black Sea Rotational Force 11.

“There is no indication of combat service in Iraq or Afghanistan,” he added in a follow-up email. Also, “While (Morales) did not fulfill her reserve obligation, per the Privacy Act, administrative actions are not releasable. The same applies to character of service and type of discharge.”

Morales was dishonorably discharged from the Marines after not showing up for drills, according to NBC New York.

Watch their report and interviews with people about Morales's lies, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Paging notsafework.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 29, 2013 10:37:44 AM

2. absolutely the worst...this woman needs help.

Posted by: jarrettbrandon | Nov 29, 2013 10:38:16 AM

3. what's with lesbian liars? is this a new trend? there was another (or two) who claimed she was a victim of a home invasion a while back...NOTHING against Lesbians its a sad story

Posted by: Patrick | Nov 29, 2013 10:41:49 AM

4. that's just great.

I've known 2 people like this. One called in sick at work with mononucleosis and showed up the next day, claiming it was the 24 hour kind. Another had a bruise on her face from a boyfriend that punched her but it was makeup, gone the next day. Both were straight.

But those that are uneducated and anti-gay anything will file this away as proof that gays aren't emotionally balanced.

Posted by: the other Ken | Nov 29, 2013 10:42:16 AM

5. Lying drama Queen lesbians are not a new story. As soon as I saw this had happened to a lesbian I was suspicious.

Posted by: Castro | Nov 29, 2013 10:44:09 AM

6. Her actions are especially damaging because her story will now be the go-to anecdote for wingnuts who wish to dismiss the victim every time a real incident like this occurs.

Posted by: MFinBH | Nov 29, 2013 10:49:40 AM

7. Like the boy who cried wolf, these liars mostly hurt the REAL victims of discrimination and violence.

Posted by: Lars | Nov 29, 2013 11:20:58 AM

8. Wasn't this part of an episode arc on The L Word??!?

Posted by: stevetalbert | Nov 29, 2013 11:31:57 AM

9. Maybe this should be a lesson in publicizing these sorts of stories with no background research whatsoever.

Posted by: jeo | Nov 29, 2013 11:50:12 AM

10. This person probably has psychiatric disorder and needs help. Even though she had people donating money to her I doubt that's the main reason she's doing this. I'm guessing she derives some kind of inner gratification from the outpours that she gets ( ie. the cancer survivor schtick). My money will be on Munchhausen syndrome.

Posted by: Charlie | Nov 29, 2013 11:56:21 AM

11. I'm shocked....shocked this is another faux anti-gay hate crime, reported by an unstable person looking for attention.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 29, 2013 11:56:31 AM

12. What's most surprising about this revelation is how long after the original incident that this information took to surface. It sure would seem that many close to the situation knew that the alleged hoaxer had more than a tendency to lie.

Posted by: Mitch | Nov 29, 2013 12:09:13 PM

13. Stop your bullying, Crispy, I mean it! ;-)

Liars harm more than just themselves, and they should be called out, as the couple who was wrongly accused did in this case. There's enough real discrimination and bigotry in the world without making it up for attention, or for whatever. And the "journalists" who first report these stories should take this as another sign they need to, like, fact check and verify before running with a victim's tale.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 29, 2013 12:20:23 PM

14. I believe she posted the original statement only on FB, so it was the media that picked this up and ran with it. Her main issue was not denying it later.

Posted by: anon | Nov 29, 2013 12:22:51 PM

15. And yet those of us who are suspicious at the get-go are accused of being cynical and blaming the victim.

Posted by: SeattleMike | Nov 29, 2013 12:42:43 PM

16. several years ago I had the misfortune of becoming deeply involved with a guy who was a pathological liar . It took me a long time to catch on to him Then I had to admit I was being played

I brought this guy into my family and work .. changed my life around to become a couple for 10 months . In the end he caused so much personal damage .

If you have never run across such mental/emotional illness you have no natural defense but you gut .. if events and stories simply dont add up ... if there are just too many coincidences .. RUN away from that person and distance yourself as much as [ossible before they do a real number on you

Posted by: MarkBoston | Nov 29, 2013 12:42:53 PM

17. My best friend in grade school was always telling ridiculous stories he insisted were totally true. He'd had and had read every Hardy Boys book. That seemed like a feat to me, all right, but not one I really cared to emulate. One day he brought to school a tiny toy camera. This was back in the 70s before such a camera was feasible. My friend insisted the camera would take hundreds of photos. I could tell this was a fantasy, but I played along and had a lot of fun spinning around snapping the shutter, poking the lens in puddles, doing close-ups of ants, what-have-you. I would ask him later if he ever developed the photos. Yes, he said. Could I see them? Oh no, his brother accidentally burned the photos in an ashtray. ... Hundreds of photos? Since I didn't have to depend on any of my friend's stories, it didn't really matter if they were true, except in that it annoyed me the way he refused to come clean.

Posted by: Glenn I | Nov 29, 2013 1:31:54 PM

18. i personally always assume lesbians are lying.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Nov 29, 2013 1:36:35 PM

19. Really, stories need to be vetted out better before they're printed.

Posted by: Gay Guy | Nov 29, 2013 1:50:20 PM

20. You a liah
    You a flyah
    Wit sh t in your eye
    Have 25 babies on the fourth of july
    one red
    one blue
    one just like you

Wanda here but now she gone
    leff her shoes to carry on
    those who knew her knew her well
    those what ain't can go to hell

Posted by: Enchantra | Nov 29, 2013 1:53:58 PM

21. Ah, let's see how many anonymous anti-lesbian comments we can rack up for this post. Don't hold back, trolls!

It's a good thing all gay men are perfect or else we might all be held accountable for the bad apples.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 29, 2013 1:55:17 PM

22. Thank you...an excellent update posting and report. Unlike the journalists on Gay USA who tends not to report on all facets of legitimate gay news: the Good plus the Bad and Ugly.

Posted by: Sam | Nov 29, 2013 2:35:00 PM

23. I've known one pathological liar, that I'm aware of. It was my mother's colleague's son when I was a kid and we had to hang-out sometimes; he was so frustrating. I learned that I couldn't believe ANYTHING he said unless 'it' was 'there' or 'happening' at that moment. I was reacquainted with him by accident in young adulthood, and learned nothing had changed. He would lie about EVERYTHING it seemed. I couldn't remain in contact with him.

This incident is so unfortunate for LGBTs. Anti-gays are going to be WALLOWING in the "Ultimate Attribution Error" paradigm. *sigh*

Posted by: twostep | Nov 29, 2013 3:04:24 PM

24. this saddens me that a gay woman ends up being a liar.......the right wing is going to grab on to this and never let go.....the sad part is that this story is similar to the boy/girl who called wolf.......there are plenty of anti-gay discrimination stories out there and now most will become suspect.......

Posted by: Bernie | Nov 29, 2013 3:36:16 PM

25. The gay press (in this case HuffPost Gay Voices) seems too eager sometimes to believe and jump on every 'story' out there. The first thing real journalists would have done is find the diners and supposed writer of the note and get their side of the story. In fact, the restaurant could have easily stopped this parade by providing a copy of the final credit card record that was actually submitted.

Posted by: Lexis | Nov 29, 2013 4:12:55 PM