David Miranda | Glenn Greenwald | News

Glenn Greenwald's Partner David Miranda Opens Up About His Detention, and the Couple's Life in Brazil

Miranda

Buzzfeed profiles Glenn Greenwald's partner David Miranda, who was detained in August at Heathrow airport while transporting documents related to the NSA revelations published by Greenwald in the Guardian earlier this year.

Miranda offers a revealing account of his detention:

A rotating tag team of seven agents asked Miranda questions ranging from his personal life with Greenwald to his family background to his own politics. Miranda’s request for a translator was brushed aside, and all nine hours were spent being interrogated in English.

“First they tried to pit me against Glenn,” Miranda recalls. The agents asked Miranda whom he went to the nightclubs with in Berlin. “Boyfriends,” Miranda replied, meaning male friends. Did Glenn know about these boyfriends? “No.” How would Glenn feel if he knew Miranda was out with the other men? “Fine.” They asked if Miranda had been in contact with Edward Snowden. “No.” Were his family members political? “No.” They asked about Miranda’s political views. Did he support the street protests in Brazil? “Yes.” Did he participate in the protests? “No.”

“They offered me water, but they didn’t pour it front of me,” Miranda says with a note of pride. “So I said no. I didn’t trust them for a second, I never had a drink of water while I was there, and I never got up to go the bathroom.”
Back in Brazil, Greenwald was asleep at home. “I get a phone call at 6:30 in the morning, which you know is bad news,” Greenwald says. A man who gave no name identified himself as a “security official at Heathrow Airport” and said Miranda was in detention under the Terrorism Act. He told Greenwald that Miranda had been held at that point for three hours and that they could hold him up to nine hours, at which point they could arrest him, release him, or ask a judge for additional time to interrogate.

His life with Greenwald:

If you ask Miranda about the dynamics between him and Greenwald (and the 10 stray dogs the couple have adopted), Miranda describes himself as the alpha. “I’m the pack leader,” Miranda tells me, grinning. “A son of Apollo.” Miranda tends to dominate through his moods; he’s quick to show his disdain, annoyance, or disappointment. “I’m a very emotional person,” Miranda says, putting both tan hands to his Armani-clad chest. “Like, you will always know how I’m feeling and when I’m feeling it.” Greenwald, a former champion high school debater, city council candidate, and courtroom litigator, tries to counter Miranda’s occasional brooding or temper with point-by-point arguments to the contrary.

“We yell when we fight,” Miranda admits, “but we never break up. There’s something in the universe that says we have to be together. I never met anyone like Glenn — he’s my husband and I don’t know where either of us would be without each other.”

And his determination to support Greenwald in his ongoing journalistic endeavors:

“Ultimately, as harrowing and unjust as it was, the U.K. actually did us a favor,” Greenwald says as we head toward the car. “They revealed how abusive the U.S. and U.K. can be with power, which is a major point of the reporting I’m doing; they humanized the story, and they gave a platform for my charming and admirable husband to speak out.”

Comments

1. "I thought they were considered heroes or role models among gays and I thought gays had more sense of justice. I guess I was wrong."

Most commenters here are Obamabots and Dem hacks who happen to be gay. They have no principles other than cheering their team. Only 5 years ago the same hacks were claiming that dissent was patriotic. Then they would have treated Greenwald and Snowden as heroes fighting the evil Bush regime. But today the Dem party cannot separate itself from total surveillance regime imposed on the US, so the hacks are now in full support of the Big Brother. There's nothing else to it.

Posted by: AG | Nov 18, 2013 5:27:57 PM

2. Wait.. Obamabots?

Sorry, you just blew your "power to the people" BS out of the water.

Posted by: Polyboy | Nov 18, 2013 5:47:39 PM

3. Nonsense, @AG, Snowden's/Greenwald's supporters and detractors lie on both sides of the political divide. (My FB feed is full of Greenwald cheerleaders and these people ain't Republicans.) Like any Republicans siding with Snowden chumming up with Russia or cheering on Greenwald are doing so out of principle.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 18, 2013 5:55:40 PM

4. Ernie, I was replying to the comment about gay men who denounced Greenwald and his partner as traitors. My explanation pertained only to those folks. I'm aware that Snowden's and Greenwald's supporters and detractors lie on both sides.

Posted by: AG | Nov 18, 2013 6:07:55 PM

5. The US government has a right to spy on all of us, if you have nothing to hide then you will be OK. I really trust everything the government, big corporations, and my religious leader tell us, because if it wasn't true they wouldn't have said it, right? Its amazing how many US citizens are traitors. Thankfully the government keeps records on all of our citizens so it knows.
    G-d Bless America!

Posted by: miami | Nov 18, 2013 6:54:21 PM

6. I realize that, @AG, but I think gay Greenwald supporters and detractors also lie along various points in the political spectrum. And some of the comments about their relationship are just the usual TR b*tchiness, not limited by political affiliation.

Personally, I'm not a fan of any surveillance regime, yet I also find Greenwald extremely obnoxious. And the reporting (much of it liberal) that Miranda was only detained because he's Greenwald's boyfriend was condescending; he was transporting documents. Wouldn't call either of them traitors.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 18, 2013 6:58:45 PM

7. I'm thrilled that Glenn Greenwald, the journalist at the Guardian who did such a stellar job making sure Edward Snowden's revelations about how our government has succumbed to the national-security-state dictates of the ultra-secretive NSA, is lucky to have such a handsome supportive partner. Considering conservatives like Rand Paul and liberals like Ron Wyden in the US Senate both want to reign in the NSA's Big Brother activities, isn't it pathetic that trolls still come to this website, calling these heroes "traitors".

Posted by: tritonpsh@aol.com | Nov 18, 2013 11:34:38 PM

8. It's hard to believe that people calling Greenwald "traitor" (or "narcissistic") are responding to his actual work. They seem to be repeating establishment talking points. Worse, they may be working for establishment organs, dropping little poison pills into any positive discussion of opposition to the Surveillance State. Trolls, or saboteurs? Unpleasant lot, to be sure.

Posted by: mudduck | Nov 19, 2013 12:54:24 AM

9. "but when it comes to the ancient right of liberty of the citizen"

It's not every day you read something that moronic.

Posted by: JoshLondon | Nov 19, 2013 3:04:24 AM