Gay Marriage | Liz Cheney | Mary Cheney | News

BigGayDeal.com

Mary Cheney and Wife Heather Poe Lash Out at Liz Cheney Over Opposition to Gay Marriage: VIDEO

Liz_cheney

Mary Cheney and her wife Heather Poe lashed out at Wyoming Senate candidate Liz Cheney after an appearance on Fox News Sunday in which she asserted her belief in "traditional marriage."

Watch Cheney's FNS appearance, AFTER THE JUMP...

Cheney_poeWrote Poe on her Facebook page:

I was watching my sister-in-law on Fox News Sunday (yes Liz, in fifteen states and the District of Columbia you are my sister-in-law) and was very disappointed to hear her say "I do believe in the traditional definition of marriage."

Liz has been a guest in our home, has spent time and shared holidays with our children, and when Mary and I got married in 2012 - she didn't hesitate to tell us how happy she was for us.

To have her now say she doesn't support our right to marry is offensive to say the least

I can't help but wonder how Liz would feel if as she moved from state to state, she discovered that her family was protected in one but not the other.

I always thought freedom meant freedom for EVERYONE.

Mary agreed:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Liz - this isn't just an issue on which we disagree - you're just wrong - and on the wrong side of history.

Mc_hp

Writes the NYT: "Such comments could present political difficulties to Liz Cheney, who is trying to unseat Mr. Enzi by running to his right. Former Vice President Dick Cheney has already said that he supports same-sex marriage, but the matter is now plainly causing intense family friction."

Here's the transcript of Liz Cheney's FNS appearance:

WALLACE: Some of your conservative critics and, frankly, some of the Enzi people, say that you have flipped positions on some issues to try to attract voters that you didn't previously hold. You now say that you oppose same sex marriage, but they point out that in 2009, you opposed a constitutional amendment -- I know you say it's a state issue -- a constitutional amendment that would have banned same sex marriage and they point out that you supported the State Department offering benefits to same sex partners. They say that's a flip.

CHENEY: It's not and I stand by both of those positions. I don't believe we've got to discriminate against people because of their sexual orientation. If people are in a same sex relationship and they want their partner to be able to have health benefits or be designated as a beneficiary on their life insurance, there's no reason they shouldn't do that. I also don't support amending the constitution on this issue. I do believe it's an issue that's got to be left up to the state. I do believe in the traditional definition of marriage.

...

WALLACE: You talk about your position against same sex marriage. Your sister, Mary, who is married to a woman, put out this post. She said, "For the record, I love my sister," you, "but she is dead wrong on the issue of marriage."

CHENEY: Yes. And I -- listen, I love Mary very much. I love her family very much. This is just an issue in which we disagree.

Watch a portion of the interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Once again I wish that this fab site I like so much had a decent comment system with some kind of thumbs up/like thingy. Anyway, enjoyed your comments guys.

Posted by: emjayay | Nov 18, 2013 1:36:35 AM

2. Ladies, what do you expect of a guest on Fox--even if the guest is your sister??

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Nov 18, 2013 5:57:31 AM

3. I'd vote fer her!...NOT!! Sump all the republican'ts!

Posted by: billmiller | Nov 18, 2013 8:53:34 AM

4. Another Cheney cat fight: Bush/Cheney ... Cheney/Cheney

Posted by: newz4i | Nov 18, 2013 9:32:28 AM

5. When you lie down with dogs....

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 18, 2013 11:02:57 AM

6. In the long run, Mary Cheney's and Heather Poe's marriage and their current and open support for gay rights and gay marriage is going to weaken resistance against gay rights within the Republican Party itself. One can already see this happening. Not only is that hate campaign against gays being waged by the far-right going to lose, but, also, Liz Cheney is likely to lose her race for the Wyoming State Senate, too.

Posted by: RonCharles | Nov 18, 2013 12:53:20 PM

7. "But it worked for Daddy, whi won't it work for me?"

Posted by: Don | Nov 18, 2013 12:57:02 PM

8. @James in Toronto:

"@KEVIN: 'For her now to express outrage over anti-gay laws is beyond hypocritical.'

No, that's evolution."

Sorry, I ain't buying it. Nine years ago, Mary Cheney was helping to implement the anti-gay campaign strategies of the Bush/Cheney re-election campaign - reportedly even orchestrating the faux outrage when John Kerry "outed" her during the third Presidential debate (she'd been out for years). She was already out at the time and with her current spouse. Although she very may well have believed civil unions were a better political option in 2004, it is impossible to fathom that she would believe the anti-gay crap spewed by the Bush/Cheney campaign, including flyers declaring a Kerry win would mean not only gay marriage but also the banning of the bible.

No, Mary did what far too many rich, privileged people did. She got hers, by aligning herself with the Haliburton fortune (including ensuring she was the bio mom of their two kids, so they have a blood link to the blood money), and screwed over the rest of the LGBT community. Then she blithely used her privilege to come into the District of Columbia - a jurisdiction where she does not pay a dime in taxes - and avail herself of the marriage rights available here - rights that were the direct result of years of activists fighting exactly the anti-gay rhetoric Mary STILL continues to support with her political donations.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Nov 18, 2013 1:06:39 PM

9. Such sloppy language. One can't oppose "homosexuality," just as one can't oppose gravity or chemical bonding or terror. These things exist as parts of the natural universe. One can oppose people who express homosexual behaviors; people fuss over this all the time and, in a country that prides itself on individual freedom and equality, such opposition glares with hypocrisy, the elitism of privilege, and the tyranny of the majority.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Nov 18, 2013 1:07:55 PM

10. "I do believe it's an issue that's got to be left up to the state. I do believe in the traditional definition of marriage."

Terrible bigot ... to say the same thing Barack Obama said during his campaign.

Posted by: WeHo | Nov 18, 2013 3:27:51 PM

11. IF Mary Cheney TRULY LOVES HER SISTER, Liz, SHE WOULD NOT OPPOSE HER IN THE MIDST OF A CAMPAIGN. Vice-President Richard Cheney SHOULD BE EMBARASSED OF HIS lesbian daughter WHO LACKS FAMILY LOYALTY.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Nov 18, 2013 4:17:06 PM

12. I'm actually glad to see Mary and her wife stand up against Lizzy Cheney's hatred.

Posted by: Reality | Nov 18, 2013 9:53:51 PM

13. Here's the message: Liz Cheney is willing to betray her own sister to get elected -- what will she do for you?

Posted by: cameron | Nov 19, 2013 8:38:16 AM

14. I usually refer to them as Uday and Qusay Cheney.

Posted by: Laura Bush | Nov 19, 2013 5:27:51 PM

15. To me, I do not consider Liz Cheney to be a good Wyoming Senator Candidate. She does not seem to be honest and possibly a hypocrite. She may fit in as a republican based on her same-sex marriage views, but not as an equal rights supporter. However, she is entitled to her opinion. Since same-sex marriage is truly gaining momentum as an equal right, before she commits to running she should honestly know with all certainty she would support the citizens she represents - by accepting a majority vote outcome. All Politian's need to keep in mind their vote(s) should reflect the majority consensus of the citizens in their District.

Posted by: Kathy Robosan | Nov 20, 2013 8:55:45 PM