Frankie J. Alvarez | Jonathan Groff | Looking | Murray Bartlett | News | San Francisco | Television

Here's the First Trailer for Jonathan Groff's Gay HBO Drama 'Looking': VIDEO

4_looking

The highly anticipated gay HBO drama Looking which takes place in San Francisco and is set to premiere in January dropped its first 30-second trailer last night.

The series stars Jonathan Groff, Frankie J. Alvarez, and Murray Bartlett about "three friends in San Francisco who explore the fun and sometimes overwhelming options available to a new generation of gay men."

The show was created by Michael Lannan and executive produced by Andrew Haigh (Weekend) and Sarah Condon (Bored to Death). Special guest stars on the show include Russell Tovey and Scott Bakula.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_looking

The show's stars were in NYC last night for the OUT100 and posted this cheeky photo to the show's Instagram:

Out_looking

Here's the trailer:

Comments

1. At least it's not set in New York or Brooklyn. That's the most I can say for it.

Posted by: Lars | Nov 15, 2013 7:41:44 AM

2. This just looks like a very stereotypical drama designed in a board-room. The thing that probably concerns me the most is the marketing. Referring to a drama as a "gay drama" is intensely stereotypical and immediately suggests that it's not a good show.

Surely there are better ways of marketing dramas that depict our lives. We are much more than "gay".

Posted by: jimbryant | Nov 15, 2013 7:58:16 AM

3. Wow, people complaining about the quality of a show that won't be aired till january.
    Why am i not surprised?

Posted by: jjose712 | Nov 15, 2013 8:05:50 AM

4. Set in San Francisco and featuring an attractive, financially secure white queen as protagonist. How innovative! NB it is not so much political correctedness as simply the question of whether this show is merely telling a certain cultural consumer* exactly what he/she wants to hear that motivates my sarcasm. I think it's time for a gay drama set somewhere at least slightly unconventional and profiling at least a somewhat unconventional gay life.

* gay or straight, btw

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 15, 2013 8:11:09 AM

5. That's a NICE TONGUE! :)

Posted by: Gigi | Nov 15, 2013 8:14:29 AM

6. @JJOSE712 -- Why are you not surprised? I guess it'd be because you've been to trollroad once or twice. The bitches here are NEVER happy. It's no wonder they never get invited to parties.

Posted by: Gigi | Nov 15, 2013 8:16:35 AM

7. "Wow, people complaining about the quality of a show that won't be aired till january.
    Why am i not surprised?"

I have no problem with believing that the critical instinct is one of the core aspects of the gay persona - isn't that the point of many of the "token" gays on television? Moreover the nature of web comments is that a lot of the people with something substantive to say *are* taking a critical position. If every comment at Towlerad were "that's great", they wouldn't be very interesting to read.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 15, 2013 8:17:35 AM

8. There is no way to say "that's great" yet. Consequently "that sucks" is of no value either.

"the critical instinct is one of the core aspects of the gay persona"

Bitching and moaning is one of the core aspects of self-loathing closet queens in cybespace, especially now when so many real people are out and proud.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 15, 2013 8:26:04 AM

9. I don't know David Ehrenstein. When I tell straight people I'm gay, you'd be surprised how often I still get "OMG, Queer Eye of the Straight Guy was like, my favorite show". "Bitching and moaning" seemed to be Carson Kresley's shtick, and he was certainly out and proud. I just had a straight republican who knows me contact me asking if I knew any gay interface designers for a software product his company is designing. The word is out, cat's out of da bag...we're critical.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 15, 2013 8:31:54 AM

10. Hmm. The main character appears to be eating a carb. Already stinks of inauthenticity.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 15, 2013 8:32:59 AM

11. EchtKultig: Sorry, but being critic before actually watch the show is too catholic to my taste.
    In fact i find it bichting for the sake of it

Posted by: jjose712 | Nov 15, 2013 8:33:11 AM

12. Consequently "that sucks" is of no value either.

Well, for what's its worth, I know "New Normal" sucked after watching the first episode, and apparently the market agreed with me. And that's not because I'm self hating or closeted or whatever crap you want to project on me. It's because it WASN'T A GOOD SHOW. Yes, I don't know that this won't be a good show. At least HBO has a better track record of late than NBC. I'm just pointing out a warning sign.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 15, 2013 8:36:57 AM

13. I'm just happy there is a guy who is 40 on the show. I would be dismissive if it was all about guys in their early twenties.

I'm excited and hopeful for it! Sure it looks like Urban Outfitters ejaculated all of them but that's as close to real life depictions get.

Why can't we all be hipsters? Haha!

Posted by: gina | Nov 15, 2013 8:37:13 AM

14. "I'm just happy there is a guy who is 40 on the show."
    And clearly that's what were's supposed to think. But that's a pretty low bar for an "new, different" gay drama.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 15, 2013 8:38:16 AM

15. EchtKultig: Yes, but one thing is saying it sucks after an episode (generally a first messy episode means the show is dammed with a very few exceptions), and other very different doing the same after a very short trailer who barely tells anything

Posted by: jjose712 | Nov 15, 2013 8:41:07 AM

16. I'm surprised to see the mustache. Is that a thing now? I guess because I came of age in the 70s, I am hotwired for that look. Yum.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Nov 15, 2013 8:44:54 AM

17. I want to make out with that guy with the mustache.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 15, 2013 8:48:20 AM

18. So much negativity in the comments.

Blah blah racism blah.

Blah blah hate against those who don't confirm to their conceptions of masculinity blah.

Blah blah political correctness run amok blah.

Here's some facts - San Francisco has the highest percentage of folk who identify as LGBT in any major city. About 15%. This makes it about the fourth highest absolute population - after NYC, LA, and Chicago. Not bad given that SF's population is number 14 in the US.

It makes more sense to have a show set in a place like SF than it does in some place like Pittsburgh. Or some other smaller place that no one cares about.

Posted by: Greg | Nov 15, 2013 8:50:37 AM

19. The takeaway, really, is that we have strong and wildly divergent opinions about how 'our' stor(y/ies) should be told. But at least the general public is now acknowledging that these stories even exist. That is some, small progress.

And no, it is not wrong to form a first impression from a trailer. That is the whole point of trailers. And my first impression, frankly, was 'pass.' I say that with distinct disappointment, as I am someone who thought Jonathan Groff was fantastic in 'C.O.G.' and who loved Andrew Haigh's refreshingly original 'Weekend.'

Posted by: Lars | Nov 15, 2013 8:52:41 AM

20. I'll only watch one episode... If there are no Black or Latin characters in it, then I won't appeal to me.. And to many others as well. I'm tired of seeing White Men being shown as representatives of gay. GAY is not just White Queens, I'm sorry. There are different culture aspects that need to be represented, and only one type won't cut it.

Posted by: Tee Jay | Nov 15, 2013 9:02:46 AM

21. It's HBO. I have hopes it will exceed our (admittedly low) expectations.

Posted by: Chaz | Nov 15, 2013 9:08:37 AM

22. I only like to watch hisyorical pieces and fantasy which is why I like Downton Abbey, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire and The Walking Dead..(and these days The Munsters on netflix before I go to bed , so funny).

I don't have the kind of time in a week to watch anymore shows.

Nothing is more dreadful to me than a conversation consisted solely on the reflection of tv entertainment - which happens way too much these days.

I'll be LOOKING away thank you.

Posted by: Bean | Nov 15, 2013 9:25:26 AM

23. "If there are no Black or Latin characters in it..."

Uhhhhhh, one of the lead actors is named Frankie Alvarez.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 15, 2013 9:33:16 AM

24. Hey guys, don't you get it?

All these trolls want their television dramas, just like they want their men - perfect, with no room for compromise.

They'd rather have nothing. They are sort of a gay version of the Tea Party.

That's why they're lonely, mean, bitter trolls.

Perfection is an elusive beast.

Posted by: Jon | Nov 15, 2013 9:41:20 AM

25. It looks awfully good to me. Love to see Golden Gate Park as a backdrop. The actors look great. Can't wait to see it.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Nov 15, 2013 9:48:21 AM