Frankie J. Alvarez | Jonathan Groff | Looking | Murray Bartlett | News | San Francisco | Television

Here's the First Trailer for Jonathan Groff's Gay HBO Drama 'Looking': VIDEO

4_looking

The highly anticipated gay HBO drama Looking which takes place in San Francisco and is set to premiere in January dropped its first 30-second trailer last night.

The series stars Jonathan Groff, Frankie J. Alvarez, and Murray Bartlett about "three friends in San Francisco who explore the fun and sometimes overwhelming options available to a new generation of gay men."

The show was created by Michael Lannan and executive produced by Andrew Haigh (Weekend) and Sarah Condon (Bored to Death). Special guest stars on the show include Russell Tovey and Scott Bakula.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_looking

The show's stars were in NYC last night for the OUT100 and posted this cheeky photo to the show's Instagram:

Out_looking

Here's the trailer:

Comments

1. Oh look, they got a gay actor to play a gay man. Looks like Hollywood have decided what he's good for for the rest of his career.

It's the jug-eared, oddly cute Brit, BTW, Russell Tovey.

And you'd better give up waiting for Hollywood to produce something like 'Weekend': it's never going to happen. 'Weekend' was about a real person: a lonely, atomised young man with a meh job and decent looks, recovering from a rotten childhood and not very well-off, living in a block of flats in a grim London suburb, who meets another, not ideally attractive man who seems a little creepy at first but we're wrong about that and the sex is frantic and vivid and a bit desperate and they don't really notice that they are falling in love until it's too late and nobody knows what will happen and that is what life is actually like for most people. Not this ridiculous charade. The problem isn't the depiction of gay people by US television: the problem is the depiction of ANY people by US television.

Posted by: Chaz | Nov 15, 2013 9:54:21 AM

2. Why does this site keep referring to it as Jonathan Groff's show when he is just 1 of 3 stars. Is he a producer, creator, or even director as well?

Posted by: Perry | Nov 15, 2013 10:24:07 AM

3. Hey, let's hope they cut all the conflicted 'I'm gay but don't want to be!' BS we had to endure in the 90's gay dramas.

Posted by: Cecilfirefox | Nov 15, 2013 10:34:18 AM

4. "It's the jug-eared, oddly cute Brit, BTW, Russell Tovey"

Huh? He doesn't really care what "Hollywood" thinks, he's got a solid career in the UK, he's well aware of the long history of British actors going "Hollywood" and being stereotyped as butlers and whatnot. If he gets work here, fine, if not, that's fine too.

As for "Looking", I'll give it a try, but there's so many good shows on TV now, so many movies I haven't seen on various movie channels that I won't stick around if it don't like it.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Nov 15, 2013 10:51:23 AM

5. Part of the challenge with "dramas" like this on HBO (for example) is most of us are not like the characters we are watching. We often don't look like them AND have the same type of job AND live in a nice city AND have a great apartment AND have a handsome BF AND don't ever get the flu. They are works of fiction, keep that in mind.

We might be handsome, but might have a bad job, or might live in a nice city, but struggle to find a BF; you see my point. As a result there is a first blush "critical" view. We KNOW they are not REAL, but they are often looked at as the standard we should want to achieve.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Nov 15, 2013 12:32:59 PM

6. Because straights want to turn you into a clutch-purse EchtKultig has nothing to do with this show.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 15, 2013 12:43:23 PM

7. "a lonely, atomised young man with a meh job and decent looks, recovering from a rotten childhood and not very well-off, living in a block of flats in a grim London suburb, who meets another, not ideally attractive man "

You have such High Standards, Chaz.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 15, 2013 12:45:43 PM

8. Yep, "Weekend" was great and probably more realistic and accurate, but I'll watch "Looking" because I love San Francisco -- part of the first episode was filmed in my neighborhood -- and I have no problems whatsoever looking at beautiful men.

Btw, yes, moustaches are making a comeback.

Also, what is the meaning of "troll," at least as defined by the commenters who keep using that term on this site?

Posted by: Bryan L | Nov 15, 2013 12:51:23 PM

9. whine whine whine whine = typical comments on this blog

Posted by: reality | Nov 15, 2013 12:57:46 PM

10. I am an extra in two scenes in this show (one on Castro Street and one in a gay nightclub in the Castro), so I will definitely watch. I don't have cable so I'll have to watch with friends or wait for it to be available on DVD or online. I think it is great to see a show filmed here in San Francisco instead of in LA or New York. The characters also seem realistic, not a ridiculous stereotype like those in 'Will and Grace' or the American version of 'Queer as Folk'.

Posted by: DB | Nov 15, 2013 1:02:27 PM

11. Unlike the movie 'Milk', in which I was also an extra in two scenes, 'Looking' actually paid its extras (although only a token amount).

Posted by: DB | Nov 15, 2013 1:03:45 PM

12. I don't quite get the need or even desire for TV characters to be "like you." The shows I am watching now feature Witches in New Orleans, Gangsters in 1920's Atlantic City, CIA Agents in the thick of International Intrigue, and oh, lawyers struggling to open a new firm ... ok, that last one has characters sort of kind of like me.

But yeah, I admit to being curious about this show because its characters are gay. An HBO pedigree gives me high hopes. Sure, I checked out The New Normal and and that other gay character show out around the same time - they both sucked and were both promptly canceled.

But take a look at the first season of practically any show you've come to love and you'll see how bizarre and not-quite-there-yet it was. So judging a show by its first season is iffy; judging a show by its trailer is absurd.

So I'll check it out because it's an HBO show about gay men in San Francisco, but I'll only stick around if it's really good. And I tend to most like shows that have characters I am NOTHING LIKE ... so it's got that going against it, if anything.

Posted by: Zlick | Nov 15, 2013 1:08:25 PM

13. WHERE IS THE ASIAN MAIN CHARACTER?

I love SF because it's the one place in the world where I feel completely comfortable being gay, being Asian-American, being Gaysian-American.

Yet the producers decide to make the main cast 2/3 white and 1/3 Latino? 1/3 people in SF are of Asian descent...

Posted by: G | Nov 15, 2013 1:28:00 PM

14. Why San Francisco? It's been done before; how about Omaha or Tampa or Milwaukee? Where's the diversity? Why the Extra Nauseating Super Shaky Cam™?

Posted by: Joseph | Nov 15, 2013 1:35:45 PM

15. I'm actually really looking forward to this. Plus, I'm becoming a fan of Andrew Haigh since his debut film Weekend. I'm already liking the look and feel of this show. Can't wait..

Posted by: MickyFlip | Nov 15, 2013 1:36:29 PM

16. Ha!
    I love how this is supposed to be a show set in San Francisco and yet all of the characters look as though they're either WeHo or Chelsea boys.

Posted by: David | Nov 15, 2013 2:01:00 PM

17. LMAO you guys are something else! I have to say I tend to skip the posts and just check out the crazy grumpy comments! Awesome, never change guys. There are barely or NO shows at the moment about gay life/people but no doubt about 2/3 have complained about it existing.

It has 2 out gay men as main roles. And is directed by an out gay director. All are credible and have a history of attaching themselves to quality stuff but NOOOOOOOOOOOO... this will be utter rubbish.

And to all the people complaining-yawn-about diversity, did you say the same thing about Noah's Ark?

Posted by: Rowan | Nov 15, 2013 3:16:41 PM

18. All you bitching about this being about financially stable white gay men: Where the hell were you when Girls premiered? Or Sex an and The City? Or Mad Men? Or the myriad rich-white protagonists on network TV?

Your beef is with the entire TV industry. You can't pile all the responsibility onto one show on one network made by one show maker.

Posted by: Brandon H | Nov 15, 2013 4:46:16 PM

19. "three friends in San Francisco who explore the fun and sometimes overwhelming options available to a new generation of gay men."

God I think I want to puke. No wonder people think being gay is a 'lifestyle'.

Posted by: Chaz | Nov 15, 2013 4:59:31 PM

20. Some of the commenters here would only be happy if this show were set on an Indian reservation with Punjabi, Iranian, and Asian Pacific Rim characters. Then they would complain about the lack of blacks, latinos and whites.
    1) It's a gay show on HBO.
    2) It's HBO so it's bound to have more quality than a lot of things of its kind.
    3) It has cute leads who are actually talented, many of whom are gay actors.
    4) The creators behind it are top talent.
    5) The way gay men support other gay men, it's amazing we're not still back in the 1950s. Lighten up, please.

Posted by: Jim | Nov 15, 2013 5:12:27 PM

21. It might be worth a look...

Posted by: jarago | Nov 15, 2013 5:53:19 PM

22. Looking forward to it! Nice to see more pop-culture w/ a GLBT focus.

Posted by: Dr C | Nov 15, 2013 6:03:03 PM

23. Why San Francisco and not Milwaukee? Well, perhaps because 1) something like 83% of gay men from anywhere in America gravitate, if they are able, to either New York, L.A. or San Francisco; 2) San Francisco is perhaps the most picturesque city in America; and 3) San Francisco is one of the less-than-handful of famously gay cities in the nation (see No. 1).

Do the actors look like WeHo or Chelsea Boys? Well perhaps that's because they are actors - meaning there's a 94% chance they're from either Los Angeles or New York.

I seriously hope the gay characters are not so accurate as to be constantly bitchy and negative, or it won't be a fun show to watch. Sheesh.

Posted by: Zlick | Nov 15, 2013 7:38:08 PM

24. Sigh. Am I the only person on this site who knows how to use Google?

Asian characters - An actor named Justin Chao has a 3-episode arc. An actress named Kimberly Lim appears in an unknown number of episodes.

Regarding the San Francisco setting, the premise of the show is to contrast today's out gay men and the opportunities they have with gays of the past. Where would that make the most sense? Obviously a city that has a rich gay history to make a strong contrast.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 15, 2013 8:11:17 PM

25. can't tell much. but i'm going to give it a chance.

Posted by: m | Nov 15, 2013 11:35:55 PM