Illinois | News | Tornado

Man and Daughter Survive Terrifying EF4 Tornado in Illinois: VIDEO

2_tornado

This is perhaps the most terrifying storm video I have ever seen on YouTube.

Marc Wells and his daughter Josie took shelter as an EF4 tornado barreled over their home and destroyed their Washington, Illinois neighborhood. Wells captured the entire brief ordeal on video, including the haunting sounds (moans) of the home's foundation as it struggles against the twister.

A sober and horrifying picture of what many tornado victims must experience.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

WGN Chicago has an EXTENSIVE list of ways to help victims of the Illinois tornadoes HERE.

(via gawker)

Comments

1. Oh my.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Nov 22, 2013 10:35:40 AM

2. Another perfect reason why structures and homes in these tornado prone areas should have mandatory storm shelters or hardened survival rooms.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Nov 22, 2013 10:37:28 AM

3. Incredible. If he were my guy, I think I would have appreciated a little more comforting and a little less camera-work, but I'm sure it's part of his charm. lol

An incredible glimpse of something I hope to never, ever, experience.

Posted by: pete n sfo | Nov 22, 2013 10:44:54 AM

4. Poor Josie. She's probably going to need some PTSD therapy.

Posted by: Dastius_Krazitauc | Nov 22, 2013 10:49:04 AM

5. Having survived two tornadoes as a child in Texas, one that destroyed out trailer while we were in it, this is exactly what it feels like. Watching that, I was flooded with all the feelings he was expressing. We all suffered from PTSD for months afterwards.

Posted by: RONTEX | Nov 22, 2013 10:49:18 AM

6. Come on, the guy was doing the right thing - Josie would not come out and half their home was gone. Plus he's in shock himself.

Posted by: Tiger | Nov 22, 2013 11:02:20 AM

7. Amazing video and at the same time very moving. It's hard to know how any of us would react in such a situation. His concern for his family and his neighbors is understandable. What do we do now? Be thankful you survived, things can be replaced, a human life is irreplaceable.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Nov 22, 2013 11:08:18 AM

8. The dog was ok too.

Posted by: woody | Nov 22, 2013 11:18:27 AM

9. That was absolutely terrifying. The emotion is so intense and those sounds. Wow. I'm shaking!

Posted by: AJ | Nov 22, 2013 12:03:58 PM

10. Did anyone else think the Dad was Tom Arnold? His demeanor makes complete sense when you think of it that way ; ) Love Roseanne. That was eye opening. One minute everythings normal and the next its all gone. I think the Dad was completely fine, BTW. Sometimes guys just don't vocalize the "caring" but he made sure his family was okay and started to the neighbors. ITS THE ACTIONS NOT WORDS.

Posted by: Kurtis Edwards | Nov 22, 2013 12:05:47 PM

11. Wow. Intense. Anyone else notice that the TV was sitting there unharmed while the rest of the room was trashed? Weird.

Posted by: AriesMatt | Nov 22, 2013 12:16:10 PM

12. Wow, I am shaking after watching that. Very disturbing.

Posted by: Adam | Nov 22, 2013 12:19:19 PM

13. Dad needs to learn to hold it together.

Posted by: Mick | Nov 22, 2013 12:20:30 PM

14. Randy, put that Damn camera away!

Posted by: Ian | Nov 22, 2013 12:32:09 PM

15. Canadian question: is there specific "tornado insurance" offered to homeowners in Tornado-land(s)?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 22, 2013 12:56:55 PM

16. Why would you video this? Wouldn't you have more pressing things to worry about?

Posted by: gina | Nov 22, 2013 1:31:32 PM

17. The father/husband seemed to be enjoying that a little too much.

Suburban track home construction is no better in the Midwest than elsewhere, which doesn't make sense. And no one builds storm shelters anymore.

Posted by: anon | Nov 22, 2013 1:33:33 PM

18. Oh man, I laughed out loud when the wife yelled "noooooooo" after he said their house was destroyed. It's not funny but the build up to it was really obvious and made for a strong case of schadenfreude. I'm glad they are ok.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 22, 2013 1:36:57 PM

19. I hope everyone reads Fenrox's comment carefully. Fenrox is the sock puppet account of a trans activist. This is what the heart and soul of a trans activist really look like. Don't forget it.

Posted by: Matt | Nov 22, 2013 1:54:27 PM

20. The daughter is terrified, yet daddy keeps on rolling the video. I've been through a nasty California earthquake, and the last thing on my mind would be a camera.

Posted by: Marty | Nov 22, 2013 2:27:28 PM

21. Poor Buggers. I've been through the Christchurch Earthquakes, and this video brought back the feeling of total helplessness, and the destructive power of Mother Nature. I wish them well.

Posted by: Chris | Nov 22, 2013 2:29:40 PM

22. Why not document it? Does anyone think he was not doing something he should have been that he was not doing because he was filming?

I will say I thought he was a little quick to leave whatever shelter they were taking. Tornados are unpredictable. But I suppose the risk of the house falling down on top of them was more pressing. Terrifying either way.

Posted by: Kipling | Nov 22, 2013 2:57:07 PM

23. That...is effing...CRAZY! the man's dialogue is really good, though.

Posted by: Lucas H | Nov 22, 2013 3:02:51 PM

24. Agree with you Matt. Here we have a terrible tragedy and about 2 dozen comments. Most are expressing sympathy or are getting into some detail of the video. Only 1 comment expresses glee and happiness at the suffering of other human beings. And of course that comment comes from a trans activist. 99% of them are sociopaths.

Posted by: Karen | Nov 22, 2013 3:13:13 PM

25. He goes in the house, tornado moves through in five seconds, he leaves the house, and his neighborhood is completely destroyed. I sat through this storm in my basement, 150 miles away, as the same tornado headed right for me.

I was fully prepared for damage and destruction, but seeing the first-hand perspective....if that had happened to me THAT quickly, I think I would have had a nervous breakdown. Jesus Christ. The guy filming did a remarkable job keeping it together.

Posted by: Robert | Nov 22, 2013 3:39:17 PM