Film | Harry Cook | I'm Gay | News

Australian Actor Harry Cook: 'I'm Gay' — VIDEO

Cook

Australian actor Harry Cook came out of the closet in a video posted to his YouTube account yesterday.

Said Cook: "Life's too short to be anything but yourself. So, on that note...I'm gay."

Cook said he was worried about coming out because he's an actor:

"I thought about it for a really long time and really stewed over it. I was like 'Oh my God, this could ruin my career.' All this crap… and then it kind-of hit me that that’s so ridiculous...The title of my job is 'actor'. It's fake. It's pretend. I'm not me. I know how to play straight - I did it all through high school."

Cook is best known for co-starring with Geena Davis in the 2009 coming of age dramedy Accidents Happen. He has also performed at The Corpus Playroom in Cambridge UK at the International Playwright Competition as the lead in the play "Russets" which went on to win the competition.

He's starring in an upcoming film called Drown about bullying and homophobia which is in post-production now.

Watch his amazing coming out video and the trailer for the film, AFTER THE JUMP...

And make sure not to missthis morning's post The 53 Most Powerful Coming Outs of 2013. Had Cook come out a day earlier he would surely have been added to it.

Drown

DROWN (2013) - IN PRE-PRODUCTION from jj splice films on Vimeo.

Comments

1. HooRAY! Good for him! Congratulations!

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Dec 9, 2013 9:29:58 PM

2. Good luck, be happy, nice young man

Posted by: Bruce Hackel | Dec 9, 2013 9:32:55 PM

3. Good for you mate x

Posted by: John | Dec 9, 2013 10:41:52 PM

4. Oh for the day when people can just be. Just be good to all living things. That is all we need to know.

Posted by: John | Dec 9, 2013 10:45:18 PM

5. not to be rude...but who?

Posted by: TheSupremes | Dec 9, 2013 11:29:17 PM

6. He he @THESUPREMES, my thought exactly.
    In other news, I came out.

Posted by: Critifur | Dec 10, 2013 12:08:57 AM

7. Though, good for him!

Posted by: Critifur | Dec 10, 2013 12:11:23 AM

8. By calling himself gay, he's no longer being himself. He's now owned by the gay community.

Posted by: ASam | Dec 10, 2013 2:13:46 AM

9. Good for You, Harry...!!!

Posted by: Bill Michael | Dec 10, 2013 3:00:22 AM

10. Very nice!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Dec 10, 2013 7:26:47 AM

11. When someone makes the comment: "...he's owned by the gay community," what does that even mean? We've all got identifying factors, physical, social, political, intellectual. If I announce that I'm a Republican, does that mean that the GOP "owns" me? If go out for football, does that mean that the community of footballers owns me? Does that mean I no longer am "being myself?" I don't get the comment.

Posted by: NealB | Dec 10, 2013 7:28:52 AM

12. When someone makes the comment: "...he's owned by the gay community," what does that even mean? We've all got identifying factors, physical, social, political, intellectual. If I announce that I'm a Republican, does that mean that the GOP "owns" me? If go out for football, does that mean that the community of footballers owns me? Does that mean I no longer am "being myself?" I don't get the comment.

Posted by: NealB | Dec 10, 2013 7:28:53 AM

13. @NealB, Perhaps it helps to know that the commenter in question is a wholly owned subsidiary of Troll Inc, possibly part of the seething hive-mind that posts such statements under various names though they really come from a single individual.

Just ignore it because you can't engage with someone whose only intent is to be contrarian, inflammatory, and to get others worked up. See: Wind, p!ssing into and Pig, arguing with for further insight into the benefit of arguing with them. Basically there is none.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 10, 2013 7:48:25 AM

14. When someone takes the time to post "who?" does it mean that they just don't give a crap or just don't know how to use Google.

Posted by: gman | Dec 10, 2013 8:59:07 AM

15. He speaks of being afraid that producers wouldn't want a gay man to play a straight character. I contend that there is no person better equipment to play a straight man than a gay man. A great many of us have to play that role everyday.

Posted by: Andy | Dec 10, 2013 9:29:19 AM

16. @NealB: I second what Caliban said. Any long-time Towleroad reader recognizes the cynical post you refer to as coming from someone who posted his conspiracy theories for several years as "Jason" and then suddenly (perhaps a year ago) started posting the same drivel under a wide variety of anonymous screen names, including this one.

There doesn't seem to be much use in trying to make sense of some internet comments. In fact, I'm not completely persuaded that a couple of the resident prejudiced-against-everyone conspiracy theorists are real.

An anonymous commenter claiming to be, for example, a gay male in a big city could just as easily be some Southern Baptist housewife in Tupelo, Mississippi who spends all day on the internet inventing prejudiced comments in the hopes that every minority group that her screenname characters supposedly belong to can be persuaded to hate and fear each other. NOM, for example, had internal memos exposed which revealed that they have a goal of stoking anger between black and gay people.

Posted by: GregV | Dec 10, 2013 10:08:38 AM

17. Good for you and for your future mental health and integrity.
    Now can we get to a place where no one has to come to the 'Land of Out'......we can all just live in the 'Land of In and Out'.
    But I'm glad Harry Cook has a loving boyfriend.....that is helpful and supportive of anyone struggling with the In/Out dilemma.
    As for @ ASAM, spare me the $h1t !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 10, 2013 1:43:54 PM

18. @Caliban

There is a small group of gay men who are closeted and want all gay men to remain in the closet. The MSMs.

Posted by: Clay | Dec 10, 2013 1:50:04 PM

19. GRACEFULLY done! Good for you, Harry. You have no idea how many young men you are helping with this gesture.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Dec 10, 2013 1:55:22 PM

20. Can we stop referring to criminal physical and sexual assault as "bullying"?

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Dec 10, 2013 3:10:20 PM

21. That movie looks scary.

I wish Mr Cook much success in his career - and in love!

Posted by: Glenn I | Dec 10, 2013 3:45:58 PM

22. ASSAM; waaaaaa waaaaaa waaaaaa

there is an lingering whiny baby-stench dribbling outta your mouth.

Posted by: Q | Dec 10, 2013 4:52:52 PM