Jonathan Ross | News | Tom Daley

BigGayDeal.com

Tom Daley Talks to Jonathan Ross About Coming Out, Being in Love with a Guy: VIDEO

Jr_daley

British diver Tom Daley appeared on The Jonathan Ross Show on Saturday night to talk about a number of things, including his diving reality show Splash, the Olympics in 2016, and his coming out. The identity of Daley's boyfriend, thought to be Oscar-winner Dustin Lance Black, was not revealed on the program.

"It really was love at first sight," said Daley.

Of making the video he said, "To be honest it was a terrifying decision to make...I just wanted to say something in my own words from my heart."

Daley went on to thank everyone for being supportive and added that he was surprised he fell for a guy. "It happened so quickly. I thought I'd really liked someone before but I'd never felt the feeling of love and it happened and I was completely overwhelmed by it to the point where I can't get him out of my head all the time...I thought that I'd felt feelings like it before but this surpasses it."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. His narcissism was kind of adorable until this but now it's getting annoying.

Posted by: It's All About Me | Dec 8, 2013 9:38:13 AM

2. "Love at first sight." Yes. I'm sure a 39 year old man loved seeing a 19 year old boy. Sadly, this will end horribly....because a 19 year old doesn't have the depth to know better.

Posted by: Frank | Dec 8, 2013 9:59:52 AM

3. He is a very well-spoken and sincere young man and is going to help young gay people in the UK enormously.

Posted by: Tim Miller | Dec 8, 2013 10:11:24 AM

4. Wow. First two comments are about as cynical and mean-spirited as can be. Towleroad used to be such a lovely community.

Posted by: Ellby | Dec 8, 2013 10:20:09 AM

5. ELLBY, It looks like Towleroad has been infiltrated by the religious funni-natics..

Posted by: AdamTh | Dec 8, 2013 10:26:29 AM

6. His narcissism? Why a good looking guy, who is outspoken is so often called it? To me he looks adorable and happy. His relationship may or may not last, the future will tell, but I wish him happiness.

Posted by: Matt27 | Dec 8, 2013 10:30:17 AM

7. Wow, what a bunch of snarky old green-with-envy queens we have today. I think we're all pretty much in love and lust for this little guy and I, for one, am happy that he is now on our team. At 19 we were all invincible and the most handsome guys on earth with one difference: we weren't Olympic Bronze medalist divers.

I wish this kid well. He's handling this whole coming out business like a pro. He is so adorable I know I'll see him in my dreams and I'm eleven years older then the guy! :-)

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Dec 8, 2013 10:30:51 AM

8. @MIKE RYAN..... It's "older than" not "older then". And, if you are only 11 years older THAN him, you're obviously too young for him.

Posted by: anon | Dec 8, 2013 10:40:56 AM

9. I wish him well, he's a sweet kid, but please don't let his boyfriend be love-em-and-leave-em twink chaser Dustin Lance Black.

Posted by: K | Dec 8, 2013 10:44:55 AM

10. Is this going to end well? No.
    Do we all go through this? Yes.
    Every man needs to have his heart broken at least once.

Posted by: Ken | Dec 8, 2013 10:46:54 AM

11. @ANON - forgive me, I dictated that on the iPad and should have caught and corrected the grammar. As for being too young for him - we don't know that even tho' there has to be a reason why he is keeping mum on just who it is and if it is Lance Black so what? I've dated plenty of older guys, especially when I was in my early 20's, and they were as much as 25 years older than myself. 39, 42, 45 even 50 year old guys can be just as attractive and fit as younger guys and they are much more mature. No one whines when 19 YO actresses date/hump 60 year olds but here, with our own lust for Daley, we throw a pox on the relationship. That's silly. This is his first love. I still remember my first love very fondly and wish I had never broken it off in the first place.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Dec 8, 2013 10:54:20 AM

12. Lust for Daley Mike??? He looks like a kid!!!

Posted by: Rowan | Dec 8, 2013 11:02:24 AM

13. I agree with Matt27, K & Ken. Most first relationships do not last, but that's just the way of it. One does have to start somewhere. I think, too, that Tom Daley is adorable, and I wish him all the best. Whether this one turns out to be the right guy for him or not, I do hope that he does end up with the right guy and had all the happiness that he deserves.

Posted by: RonCharles | Dec 8, 2013 11:03:34 AM

14. I find his "I never knew people were gay" comments mildly irritating, so perhaps he is extremely naive. But not all 19 year olds are idiots. I know as many dumb people over 40 as I did when I was under 20---and as many impressive ones.

He shouldn't be putting himself out there so much, though. Exposure is good. Overexposure is not.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 8, 2013 11:08:37 AM

15. I do too, Paul R, especially since divers Greg Louganis and Matthew Mitchum have been very open about being gay. Being surprised that gay feelings were within himself is one thing, but saying he didn't know *other people* felt it is nonsense.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Dec 8, 2013 11:23:51 AM

16. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that he's 19 and dating a 40-year-old. What is sad is that it's a man who, according to many people in the know, uses and tosses young men like yesterday's Kleenex.

Posted by: Victor | Dec 8, 2013 11:25:05 AM

17. He seems sweet and sincere so I'll wish him and his beau all the best. And to the cynics, my first love was a guy 25 years older than me. We've moved on but we still keep in touch and are best friends till now. So get over it.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Dec 8, 2013 11:29:58 AM

18. @Rowan: I'm 34 and I'd date Daley in a heartbeat. He's well over 18 and in this country that's legal age.

Posted by: Cary Chauvet | Dec 8, 2013 11:40:41 AM

19. Tom Daley in September 2013: "I think it’s funny when people say I’m gay... I laugh it off. I’m not. But even if I was, I wouldn’t be ashamed. It wouldn’t bother me in the slightest what people thought."

Over this person.

Posted by: Shawn Fassett | Dec 8, 2013 11:55:49 AM

20. To all the guys who question the age difference, I spent 28 years in one of those relationships until my husband's death. I was the younger guy, and it worked very well - very, very well. BTW - when we met, I was the aggressor.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 8, 2013 12:11:48 PM

21. @MIKE RYAN... " No one whines when 19 YO actresses date/hump 60 year olds"

This is where you are wrong. People complain about huge age differences in hetero couples as well. All the time. Especially when one of them is a teenager.

Posted by: anon | Dec 8, 2013 12:41:01 PM

22. @ Shawn Fasset: Wasn't one of the reasons for him coming out the fact that he was misquoted (which presumably relates to this quote). As a more general remark: The kid is 19 Give him a break!

Posted by: Dutchguy | Dec 8, 2013 12:44:58 PM

23. if folks are interested they can watch the whole JOnathan Ross Show at :

Posted by: feromoon | Dec 8, 2013 12:48:07 PM

24. Equality for all! check out this equal rights tshirt and spread the message http://teespring.com/equalrightstshirt

Posted by: Equality | Dec 8, 2013 12:52:05 PM

25. teenager dating someone who could be his dad...come on! What kind of 39 yo would be interested in a child.. oh yes a sick one.

Posted by: Marc | Dec 8, 2013 1:07:55 PM