Duck Dynasty | News | Phil Robertson

'Duck Dynasty' Star Phil Robertson Releases Statement on Anti-Gay Remarks, Says He Disrespects Nobody

Robertson

Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson issued a statement about his homophobic remarks in GQ magazine:

"I myself am a product of the '60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together," he says. "However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

See our previous post here.

Comments

1. As I posted elsewhere, being very successful, he's very prone to confirmation bias. His every belief is reinforced by the successes he's had. If he were a drunken loser, he'd probably be questioning the value of the bible right now.

Posted by: anon | Dec 18, 2013 8:07:50 PM

2. You know...I did the sex drugs rock and roll thing as well too. But I didn't become a hateful xtian to have to "save myself" but saved myself by learning how to love all beings, meditate and develop compassion.

Posted by: zeddy | Dec 18, 2013 11:49:32 PM

3. For one, if you think it doesnt say that a man was meant to be with a woman obviously you didn't read the first book "Genesis" where God made a partner Eve (Woman) for Adam (Man) from his rib.. So that man may be complete. Second, if you think for one second it's even ok to engage in homosexual activities you clearly didnt read the 3rd book of the bible "Leviticus" 18:22 states "You shall not have sex with a man as woman for it is an abomination" 22:13 states "If a man practices homosexuality having sex with another man as a woman. Both men have committed an abomination. They must both be put to death for they are both guilty of a capital offense". So before you ppl sit here and go on about how this man is not a Christian try something you were taught long ago. Think before you speak. Try reading the bible before speaking out about what it does or does not say. Understand that when amongst sinners we speak his name regardless of what people say because as Christians that's what we're supposed to do.

Posted by: Eriq | Dec 19, 2013 12:11:45 AM

4. These insane, Bible-brainwashed, uneducated freaks are an embarrassment to the United States.

Posted by: Icebloo | Dec 19, 2013 1:45:13 AM

5. ERIQ

No one here actually cares about what a self-righteous and holier than thou hypochristian like you has to say. Where in the Bible does Jesus, you supposed savior condemn homosexuality? No where. Leviticus also says not to get tattoos, not to eat shell-fish, not to cut your hair or shave, etc. So, unless you follow all those rules and oppose all of those things as much as you oppose homosexuality you are a cherry-picking hypocrite. Maybe before you tell someone else to read the bible you could at least read all of Leviticus. You can take your own advice to "think before you speak" and try spelling out the word "people" next time, if it's not too much strain on your fingers. I assure you, the people on here are much more familiar with your Bible than you are, as I've already demonstrated. Now do yourelf a favor and bugger of before you embarrass yourself further.

Posted by: Alan | Dec 19, 2013 2:18:39 AM

6. So, Eriq, are you against wearing mixed fabrics, shaving, eating pork,eating shellfish, and other things Leviticus calls abominations? Or are you a hypocritical self-righteous faux-christian who only follows the bible when it gives you an excuse to look down on others and act like a self-righteous jerk? I'm betting on the latter, given your arrogant and condescending attitude in your comment.

Posted by: TIM | Dec 19, 2013 2:26:21 AM

7. Oh, and as a Christian, you're supposed to worry about the beam in your eye before you worry about the speck in someone else's eye. And you're as much of a sinner as everyone else, so don't talk about sinners as if they were some group of people separate from yourself.

Posted by: Tim | Dec 19, 2013 2:31:59 AM

8. Maybe his religious conversion would be easier to accept (and believe) if he didn't look, talk and act like such a cretin. Actually, if you read the GQ article it's really difficult to believe his words were coming from a man who truly respects humanity and loves God.

Posted by: ThomT | Dec 19, 2013 10:54:46 AM

9. Personally, I agree with every word he said. He is a very wise with his own opinions. It doesn't make him a Bible freak at all. Maybe what he said offends gay people, but what if gay people offend him? And besides, What he said was not offence at all,he said nothing mean, violent, or anything to go against gay marriage. He simply stated that his religion made him believe otherwise. Why does his opinion have to differ from anyone else's? So what he stars on a television show? "EVERYONE is different and we should be proud of it!" Isn't this what we push on children today?

Posted by: Kirstin | Dec 19, 2013 1:37:45 PM

10. He apologized because he is in danger of losing millions with his stupid show. He has made these sorry statements before. He has not changed anything but he doesn't want to lose money! I hope they replace that show with something worth watching! Am disappointed A&E even aired it!

Posted by: Judy | Dec 19, 2013 7:24:41 PM

11. no amount of apologies will undo the hurt Merry Christmas."JESUS WEPT"

Posted by: matt | Dec 19, 2013 8:45:15 PM

12. jesus wept in this holiday season some are determined to destroy others self esteem so many years in the fight. Duck Dynesty for GW Bush 2016

Posted by: matt | Dec 19, 2013 8:49:53 PM

13. Kirsten, you should try posting something more coherent next time. And who cares if gay people offend him? If he's offended by the mere fact that gay people exist then he should get over himself. And how is comparing gay people to drunks, zoophiles, and terrorists NOT offensive?

Posted by: Tim | Dec 20, 2013 12:55:48 AM