Brian Boitano | I'm Gay | News | Olympics | Sochi Olympics

Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out as Gay After Appointment to Sochi Delegation

BoitanoOlympic champion figure skater Brian Boitano came out publicly today in a statement released by his publicist:

I am currently skating in Europe but want to provide a statement regarding my appointment to the Olympic delegation. I have been fortunate to represent the United States of America in three different Olympics, and now I am honored to be part of the presidential delegation to the Olympics in Sochi. It has been my experience from competing around the world and in Russia that Olympic athletes can come together in friendship, peace and mutual respect regardless of their individual country's practices.

It is my desire to be defined by my achievements and my contributions. While I am proud to play a public role in representing the American Olympic Delegation as a former Olympic athlete, I have always reserved my private life for my family and friends and will continue to do so. I am many things: a son, a brother, and uncle, a friend, an athlete, a cook, an author, and being gay is just one part of who I am. First and foremost I am an American athlete and I am proud to live in a country that encourages diversity, openness and tolerance. As an athlete, I hope we can remain focused on the Olympic spirit which celebrates achievement in sport by peoples of all nations.

Boitano now becomes the third openly gay member of the Sochi delegation, which also includes tennis icon Billie Jean King and women's ice hockey silver medalist Caitlin Cahow.

And add Boitano to THIS LIST.

Comments

1. Welcome home, Brian.
    And now we finally know what Brian Boitano would do.

Posted by: coolbear | Dec 19, 2013 1:12:52 PM

2. Nice. But, with all due respect, being gay is no more or less a part for him than for anyone else. Your being gay is as much a part of being a son, an uncle, a brother, an athlete, as anything else.

It's not really "just one part" of us - it *is* us, and that's OK. There's not "a part" of you that's gay, and a part that isn't. It's who we are. And we don't need to compartmentalize it.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 19, 2013 1:15:20 PM

3. Wow. What a shocker. Who would have guessed????

Posted by: Tim | Dec 19, 2013 1:15:26 PM

4. Not a surprise, but I am glad he is finally out.

Posted by: Matt27 | Dec 19, 2013 1:17:24 PM

5. I'm having the same reaction as I did when Michael Stipe came out: didn't he already come out before? In a way, Brian Boitano coming out was like Clay Aiken coming out. You get déjà vu thinking its already happened.

Posted by: will | Dec 19, 2013 1:22:25 PM

6. As uneventful as Johnny Weir announcing he is of Russian descent, especially for all figure skating fans who have follow Boitano's skating career when he capture Olympic gold. And now the same fans will patiently wait for another gold medal Olympian skater to come out after a long recovery and turning as professional skater.

Posted by: Sam | Dec 19, 2013 1:24:45 PM

7. I was as totally blindsided by this news as everyone else was...which was not at all.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Dec 19, 2013 1:33:01 PM

8. That was lovely, Brian. Thank you.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Dec 19, 2013 1:33:07 PM

9. In other shocking news:

The sky is blue
    Grass is green
    The Pope is Catholic
    And Santa is now a bi-curious brutha on the down low

Posted by: Loony | Dec 19, 2013 1:33:21 PM

10. You mean to tell me that this whole time he WASN'T out? I think that if you're a male in figure skating you have to come out as straight.

Posted by: Richard | Dec 19, 2013 1:40:49 PM

11. Ummm...I feel like I just went through a time warp. Hasn't this been known for years now?

Posted by: GLAW2014 | Dec 19, 2013 1:41:59 PM

12. (in my most serious voice) I thought Brian was already out!?!

Posted by: Isaiah | Dec 19, 2013 1:45:12 PM

13. I'm sure Brian will get to appreciate the freedom not being "private" about his personal life will afford him. Congratulations to him and all the best going forward.

Posted by: Rafael | Dec 19, 2013 1:48:10 PM

14. Wow what a surprise, why the next thing you know they'll be telling us the sky is blue. Come on, everyone knew this guy was as gay as a chenille bedspread.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Dec 19, 2013 1:54:26 PM

15. The point of being publicly out isn't to surprise people but to acknowledge a core part of yourself. So, no, it's hardly a shocker, but why should it be? Coming out is still a positive thing, however obvious it may be to most people.

Being gay, though, contrary to what Brian says, really isn't your "private life," unless you're closeted or ashamed. It's an essential piece of who you are. Your private life is who you're dating, having sex with, what you like to do in bed etc. No one is expecting him to announce those things. Going to Sochi without being publicly out would have been cowardly.

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 19, 2013 2:01:09 PM

16. I faintly remember him being attached to an Olympics HIV scare in the 80's or 90's. And no, I'm not confusing him w/ Greg Louganis.

Posted by: anon | Dec 19, 2013 2:01:11 PM

17. Congratulations, Brian Boitano, and well done! though he has not exactly been closeted, and everyone has known he is gay, it is still a good thing that he has made this public announcement before going to the Sochi Olympics in Russia. It shows that he is not attempting in any way to hide who he is.

Posted by: RonCharles | Dec 19, 2013 2:03:13 PM

18. WHAT, HE WASN'T OUT!?

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 19, 2013 2:07:08 PM

19. I'd be more shocked if a male figure skater came out as "straight".

Posted by: Steve | Dec 19, 2013 2:07:59 PM

20. Ah...I thought he was already out. Always thought he was gay or maybe I am confusing my figure skaters. Regardless, hope they open up doors for Russian glbt.

Posted by: Matteo | Dec 19, 2013 2:09:31 PM

21. Gasp! Wait....

Posted by: Hansel Currywurst | Dec 19, 2013 2:10:07 PM

22. It must have been hard for him as I clearly remember him addressing a caller on the Larry King Show who identified as gay and an object of ridicule because he was a figure skater way back when Brian had received a gold medal.

Posted by: MIke | Dec 19, 2013 2:13:11 PM

23. I too thought that he'd been out for quite a while. My brother has known he was gay for years, because he and my ex used to talk about it, and my brother isn't exactly a huge fan of figure skating. (I know even less.)

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 19, 2013 2:21:51 PM

24. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNJmfuEWR8w

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 19, 2013 2:27:02 PM

25. You can't "come out" when literally the entire world knows you're gay. That's absurd.

It's nice that he acknowledged it, however.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Dec 19, 2013 2:27:28 PM