Canada | Gay Marriage Proposal | News

Gay Marriage Flash Mob Proposal of the Day: Patrick and Mike

Proposal

Patrick Stiles proposed to Mike Kennedy on the night of November 23 at the River Run Centre in Guelph, Ontario, Canada with the help of Mika, Elton John, and a flash mob.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Don't miss our other recent gay wedding and marriage proposal videos...
Gay Marriage Proposal of the Day: Kevin and RJ [tlrd]
Gay Marriage Proposal of the Day: Harry and Lance's '99 Red Balloons' flash mob [tlrd]
Gay Marriage Proposal of the Day: IL Rep. Sam Yingling and Lowell Jaffe [tlrd]
Gay Wedding Video of the Day: Donavan and Ricardo [tlrd]
Gay Wedding Video of the Day: Shannon and Sandy [tlrd]

Comments

1. These da*n proposals get me blubbering every time. Did anyone see Pat and Billy's online wedding yesterday? Streamed live over the 'Net. Beautiful and sweet. This was great and Patrick Stiles has a beautiful voice. Congratulations guys!

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Dec 14, 2013 11:12:03 AM

2. I feel so inadequate when I see these proposals. My proposal to my husband was, "Do you wanna get married?" He said yes, so it worked.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 14, 2013 11:27:55 AM

3. Gross. Flash mob proposals are tacky and impersonal.

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 14, 2013 11:52:12 AM

4. At first some of these were fun, but increasingly I find myself wondering "whatever happened to the quiet perfect moment alone with person you know you want to grow old with?"

Increasingly, these start to feel competitive and read like "proposals" that are more focused on the production values and the potential YouTube audience than on the proposal itself. And that has to make you wonder what sort of marriages these people will end up in.

But I suppose it's all part of having equal marriage laws. You get the good, the bad and the "iffy."

Posted by: Buster | Dec 14, 2013 11:58:21 AM

5. I loved it. What's not to love about it? I bet none of you negative commenters were complain when heterosexual couples do this at the football/baseball game. Or on television. But a touching flash mob sets you off?

Get a life noobs.

Posted by: gri | Dec 14, 2013 12:12:26 PM

6. Ya well some of these are pretty embarrassing. Over the top usually needs to be over quickly.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 14, 2013 12:37:32 PM

7. That was beautiful and wonderful. Have a long and loving life together, Patrick and Mike.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 14, 2013 12:48:03 PM

8. As a gay man together with my partner/husband/significant other for over 35 years, I think these are getting just a little "can you top this". Call me old fashioned but I thought it was supposed to be intimate and romantic I', not putting them down, I'm an old man (62) so I want Ingrid and Bogie, not Busby Berkley.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Dec 14, 2013 12:54:09 PM

9. I say these proposals will mellow out eventually, why not just celebrate along with these couples. They're getting to do something they've dreamed of their entire lives.

Posted by: Gman | Dec 14, 2013 1:32:49 PM

10. Flash mob proposals are usually not mobs at all but friends and family. They show their love by rehearsing and publicly participating. For the by-standers it demonstrates the love and support gays have when it comes to marriage. There's a certain need for gays to come out from behind closed doors and this certainly accomplishes that. Haters be damned this couple is happy.

Posted by: terry | Dec 14, 2013 2:11:19 PM

11. Heavy romances -- we are speaking of the kind in which the participants can hardly keep their hands to themselves, not the kind in which they have nothing better to do with them -- can progress in only two ways:

They can (1) end. In this case, if you have displayed the height of the romance publicly, the public will take pleasure in seeking you out in the depths. Just when you are being very careful not to move suddenly because you have your heart tied together only with bits of old string, it will spring at you and demand to know, "Where's Rock? I thought you were inseparable?" or "How come I saw Hope out with three other guys last night?"

That is not the worst that can happen, however. Romances can also (2) not end. The participants can get married and live happily ever after. Then they are in trouble. This is because one day they will stop behaving conspicuously. Then everyone will notice. The cause may not be that the romance will have gone out of the marriage, but that it will have a home to go to. With more opportunities to express affection, the couple no longer seizes the opportunity to do so on other people's sofas. The other people will then have a good snicker which, unlike the original snickers, cannot be passed off by the loving couple as jealousy. The Duchess of Windsor once said that she hated to have dinner in a restaurant alone with her husband because if they failed for one minute to chatter sparklingly at each other -- taking, say, a moment to chew their food instead -- everyone in the restaurant would be saying, "You see? That's what he gave up a throne for, and now look how bored they are."

-- Miss Manners. Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior (Updated). 2011. Page 342.

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Dec 14, 2013 2:17:51 PM

12. Miss Manners does get carried away doesn't she?

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 14, 2013 2:58:35 PM

13. It's a marriage proposal. You're telling another person that you love him; that he's your soul mate; that he is special enough to you that you want to spend the rest of your life with him. Do you really want to involve a bunch of strangers--or even friends and family--in such a personal moment? I would be *so* disappointed if anyone proposed to me in the presence of other people--and especially in such a showy fashion as a flash mob.

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 14, 2013 3:26:57 PM

14. And...just to be clear...I wish them all the best. I truly hope they have a long and happy relationship filled with love. But I still think proposals of this sort (whether the couple is gay or straight) are silly.

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 14, 2013 3:30:34 PM

15. @I won't grow up

Um, who are Ingrid, Bogie and Bubsy ? Seriously I don't know.

Posted by: Furn | Dec 14, 2013 3:39:50 PM

16. *FURN - LOL! I'm only 30 and I knew exactly who he was referring to. Great classic movies. Ingrid Bergman was a famous beautiful actress who had an affair with her Director, Roberto Rosselini, left her husband and children for him. She had twin daughters with him, one became rather famous: Isabella Rossellini. Bogie? Humphrey Bogart, a famous actor who, in his 50's, fell in love with his co-star, Lauren Bacall, a gorgeous beautiful woman still alive today. And Busby Berkeley was infamous back in the 30's for the most amazing group dance routines you could imagine. Now THAT was fabulous flash dancing! Now you're up-to-date!

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Dec 14, 2013 4:40:57 PM

17. Cripes, one the one hand I agree that these seem increasingly over the top, but I also don't begrudge anyone wanting to do their proposals any way they seem fit. I guess I'm just jealous because where I live I'm lucky to get one date in a whole year, let alone finding a husband.

Posted by: Ian | Dec 14, 2013 4:43:56 PM

18. Hurray!

Posted by: Carlos | Dec 14, 2013 5:06:28 PM

19. I find I'm really tired of these flash mob proposals, but this one was enlivened by that fact that Patrick can *really* sing. That raised it above most others.

Posted by: John Freeman | Dec 14, 2013 5:54:11 PM

20. What's the one with everyone jumping into pool? That'd be cool! The next gay proposal should do that.

Posted by: anon | Dec 14, 2013 7:02:02 PM

21. @Furn: Please, please tell me you're kidding. The gay police will come to your house and take away your gay membership card. If you are not please start watching TCM immediately.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Dec 14, 2013 7:34:19 PM

22. Congratulations.

Posted by: bollox | Dec 15, 2013 12:21:15 AM

23. I love these, and can't wait to see the next 100,000 original ones!

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Dec 15, 2013 5:25:07 AM

24. I have abstained from commenting on these flash mob proposals because I don't want to sound bitter, jealous or like I don't wish these couples all the best. But I have finally arrived at the point where I feel like I need to say ENOUGH already! These are getting to be overkill. If they want to go make a public display of what, I think, should be a private moment....more power to them. but we really don't need see every damn one of these things.

Posted by: wheelie81 | Dec 15, 2013 8:36:00 AM

25. This is leaps and bounds above the 99 red balloons proposal, but still far inferior to the home depot flash-mob. I give it a 7.5.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 15, 2013 4:42:55 PM