Advertising | Apple | News

BigGayDeal.com

Is This Apple's Best Ad Ever? — VIDEO

Misunderstood

Some are calling this Apple's best ad ever. The video in the ad was shot entirely on an iPhone 5S and the ad is a shout-out to those creative types who might feel a bit "misunderstood" over the holidays but still want to connect with their families.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Tonally, it feels a bit to me like the UK retailer John Lewis' brilliant and melancholy Christmas ads, one of which featured a Smiths track, and this year's which featured Lily Allen.

Apple also released the full 2-minute video that is featured in the ad:

Comments

1. Well. Let's all buy an Apple product, then. Or better yet: A Lily Allen album. :)

Posted by: bruce | Dec 17, 2013 12:05:57 PM

2. Love this.

Posted by: Rocco | Dec 17, 2013 12:06:34 PM

3. great commercial..now IF Apple could MAKE these in America and PAY decent wages

Posted by: disgusted american | Dec 17, 2013 12:13:08 PM

4. That was SWEET, so, so, sweet.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 17, 2013 12:13:37 PM

5. Another Lily Allen song. f*** you very much

Posted by: simon | Dec 17, 2013 12:14:38 PM

6. Another Lily Allen song. f*** you very much

Posted by: simon | Dec 17, 2013 12:14:38 PM

7. Whats with all the damn peeled onions around here!

Posted by: Willbesurfing | Dec 17, 2013 12:17:47 PM

8. Very nice. But if I could live out the rest of my days without dealing with snow again I'd be happy.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 17, 2013 12:21:50 PM

9. It's kind of strange that a company that during the last decade has exercised hegemony over mind share in the consumer technology industry is still trying to present itself as representative of the lonely, misunderstood minority. I wonder how long they can continue to pull off this sleight of hand.

Posted by: Merv | Dec 17, 2013 12:23:20 PM

10. Very nice.

But, I still won't buy an iPhone.

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 17, 2013 12:24:46 PM

11. Short answer to your question: no.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 17, 2013 12:28:26 PM

12. Definitely tugs at the heart strings. Now if only that's what teens who are glued to their iphones were actually doing.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Dec 17, 2013 12:28:45 PM

13. Cool video but I call some BS, unless Apple changed something about how the iPhone takes video, it looks like he shot everything in portrait but everything came out widescreen/landscape.

I don't have an iphone myself but can you now take a video that's widescreen while the phone is in portrait orientation?

Posted by: Nat | Dec 17, 2013 12:37:17 PM

14. Curmudgeon alert: So the miscreant all-too-typical kid who ignores his entire family during Christmas and probably does the same to everyone in his entire life at every waking moment to keep his nose inside his Wall-E World Making device was really just recording everything from his detached observational loser loner status to contribute love and joy to his peoples? Uh-Huh, yeah. Sorry to be cynical, but making lemonade from the lemon of this horrific modern lifestyle didn't work at all for me.

Posted by: Zlick | Dec 17, 2013 12:38:56 PM

15. Meh didn't resonate with me.

Posted by: Lazycrockett | Dec 17, 2013 12:41:32 PM

16. Cute, but 99% of those who won't get off their phones during group functions are not simply creating something touching they're eventually going to share. They're mindlessly and selfishly ignoring others to cycle through social media feeds and apps.

Posted by: Pablo | Dec 17, 2013 12:49:12 PM

17. I love my iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro - and I love Apple, of course.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Dec 17, 2013 1:16:03 PM

18. Nope. If we are to take this at face value then this kid still managed to miss most events since he had his head buried in his phone. He could have just put the device down and experienced it with his own eyes.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Dec 17, 2013 1:28:07 PM

19. So, I can't get past that the first half of that vid is just the second half. Boring.

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 17, 2013 2:11:09 PM

20. I love my iPhone, iPad Air, MacBook Air and MacPro...almost as much as I love my Apple stock which has *soared* since I bought it years ago.

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 17, 2013 2:13:30 PM

21. I dunno, it kind of felt like it was endorsing people who are completely disassociated from their surroundings and are buried in their smartphones. Its nice the kid made a video but JEEZ!

Posted by: zabar | Dec 17, 2013 2:15:58 PM

22. Look at this parade of annoying queens who whine about even a nice holiday message for a family. I suppose unless the commercial includes footage of some "diva gay icon" it's a waste of time.

Posted by: Joey Y | Dec 17, 2013 2:32:28 PM

23. Okay, after I actually watched the commercial myself, I really don't see what the big fuss is either. Nice enough, but pretty ho-hum for a supposed "creative" company. I guess it wouldn't have killed them to have Beyoncé. But still, why does everyone have to be so negative?

Posted by: Joey Y | Dec 17, 2013 2:46:17 PM

24. I think it's clever on many levels and very sweet.

Posted by: Bryan L | Dec 17, 2013 2:47:54 PM

25. It's Cat Power aka Chan Marshall - not Lily Allen.

Posted by: MarkI | Dec 17, 2013 2:54:59 PM