Christmas | Music | Music Video

Pentatonix Returns With Holiday Cheer In 'Angels We Have Heard On High': VIDEO

Pentatonixangels1

Pentatonix, the incredibly talented a cappella quintet has returned with a new holiday song to brighten even the gloomiest winter days. After winning NBC's competition series The Sing Off, the group has gone on to release multiple albums and gone on tour around the United States (and soon throughout Europe, too).

Check out their gorgeous rendition of the holiday classic, "Angels We Have Heard On High," AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. They are amazingly gifted and I admire how perfectly well they harmonize with each other. But I am not convinced of this rendition. They've turned this carol into an act of showmanship. It seems like they rather enjoy their own skills than the song itself. In my opinion, the performance should serve the music and not the ego - especially when it comes to Christmas music.

Posted by: Cantus Firmus | Dec 15, 2013 9:23:17 AM

2. Great voices that blend well together. I have a weakness for a good cover song and hope I can hear these guys do more contemporary covers.

Posted by: Christopher | Dec 15, 2013 9:46:33 AM

3. SHould have sung it straight, Whitney.

Posted by: Enchantra | Dec 15, 2013 10:23:08 AM

4. I am so happy for their success. It' so nice to hear singing in its purest form rather than the electronic , over produced "product" that passes for music today. The Sing Off is the best singing competition on TV.

Posted by: Howard | Dec 15, 2013 10:31:42 AM

5. The use of beat boxing seems to have become a required part of a capella music today. It can augment a song, but, like this one, overpower it. I wish that groups would back off of its use...i like me some old school a capella like New York Voices and Manhattan Transfer!

Posted by: Michael | Dec 15, 2013 11:06:10 AM

6. Great rendition! A new addition to my Christmas music collection.

Posted by: Tom | Dec 15, 2013 12:00:43 PM

7. They have the faces for radio.

Posted by: Matty | Dec 15, 2013 12:26:49 PM

8. Beautiful voices. Beautiful people. That was great.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 15, 2013 1:09:07 PM

9. Beautiful harmony, no doubt about it. However, I blame Mariah Carey for all the melissima they use. I think it ruins an otherwise wonderful rendition.

Posted by: Edmcan | Dec 15, 2013 1:22:10 PM

10. It's nice to see that something so out of mainstream like acapella group in a very small discography are getting that success.

They only need (i think Scott say something like that in a interview) to reach radio (wich is probably the most difficult thing for someone not backed by a big company). But with the right material, they are perfect for AC and HOt AC

Posted by: jjose712 | Dec 15, 2013 1:50:28 PM

11. I agree, CANTUS FIRMUS - Frist this is not one of my favorite carols, but that's all subject, as, "I suppose" my opinion that their vocals were overwoked, and overshadowed the melody.

Little Drummer, one of the sillist Christmas Carols about a kid who comes into the manger banging a drum just after Mary and Josep spent many hours traveling on a donkey through a desert, and who knows how much time trying to get a room, just to sleep in a smelly, poopy manger, go through the ordeal of birthing a child, just to have some well intended come in banging on a drum! I Don't think so . . . but as silly as I always thought the lyrics, it is one of the most melodious and beautiful Christmas Carols, and Pentatonix did a BEAUTIFUL job, not trying to do vocal acrobatics, but just a straight forward, yet interesting interpretation of the song.

I do not know why they did not do the same here.

But I do hope to hear more from them.

Posted by: Ricco | Dec 15, 2013 3:23:43 PM

12. lol - subjective - - - I suck at typing, hope my message was clar. Happy Christmas all.

Posted by: Ricco | Dec 15, 2013 3:24:41 PM

13. A bit strongly studio-produced to be called "a capella" but OK, it was nice. A new version for the 2013 crowd. This old fart liked it! :-)

Posted by: johnny | Dec 15, 2013 5:25:24 PM

14. Next they can start adding Tuvan throat singing. That could be truly mind-blowing.

Posted by: Jerry | Dec 15, 2013 7:53:13 PM

15. Super talented! great voices - both in harmony and solo

Posted by: jonvincent | Dec 16, 2013 1:18:40 AM

16. Sorry, but I couldn't get through it. I'm confused why a capella singers would try to sound like they were some kind of studio-produced sound. But it's all derivative, right down to the ubiquitous hand gestures.

Cantus Firmus nailed it.

Posted by: Sean | Dec 16, 2013 2:43:05 AM

17. Wow! Way to spread the Christmas cheer, grumpy, old bitches! Those who left nice comments; good for you. Don't know why I bother reading comments on this site. Most are hateful, toxic posts by what I hope are trolls. It'd be so sad if that level of bile really represents our community. Merry Christmas!

Posted by: Eric | Dec 16, 2013 8:59:19 AM