FOX News | News | Richard Simmons | Thanksgiving

Richard Simmons Paid an Insane Visit to FOX News: VIDEO

Simmons

While you were traveling to wherever you needed to go for the Thanksgiving Day holiday, this can't-change-the-channel Richard Simmons spectacle was taking place on FOX News.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via omg blog)

Comments

1. Richard Simmons has kept more men in the closet than Robert Mugabe. Enough of this walking stereotype. Retire already.

Posted by: Morris Schwartz | Dec 3, 2013 4:35:53 PM

2. All kinds of wonderful. And a Steppinfetchit/Uncle Tom wouldn't have been so blunt about FoxNews and it's other "personalities".

Posted by: David R. | Dec 3, 2013 5:08:55 PM

3. @FANCY: If, as you admit, you love spreading unsubstantiated gossip about people, then that being the case, I will admit that I am morally superior to you. Thanks for the cookie. Here is a piece of coal for your holiday stocking.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 3, 2013 5:23:48 PM

4. "I knew a guy once who lived in California and was an escort and he swore that he was once hired by Richard Simmons to come over and he wanted him to chase him around the house while he wore a tutu."

I'm not clear on which one wore the tutu. Allegedly.

Posted by: BobN | Dec 3, 2013 5:24:21 PM

5. Amidst the shameless flirting, was I witnessing a mental breakdown or a morsel of comedic talent? What a hot mess, the Liberace of the exercise world with...the Boehner tears, impressions done like Jerry Lewis on sale, and the ramblings of Anna Nicole Smith...

Posted by: Mitch | Dec 3, 2013 5:32:03 PM

6. It's pretty bizarre to read people defending this guy. If he had just decided not to be out, it wouldn't be a big deal.

But he goes out of his way to stoke antigay prejudice. I am not talking about effeminacy here. I am talking about his schtick of the past 2 decades, in which the joke is that gay men are sexually aggressive and sort of disgusting. The schtick works like this: He goes on shows hosted by straight males. Letterman and Leno are the 2 most prominent examples. He will go on under-dressed. He will often try to get close to the host. He will make suggestive comments to the host.

All of this is a set up for the straight male host to express disgust in reaction to his display of his body or to his physical proximity. So when he leans forward while talking to Letterman, Letterman leans back or scoots his chair away and laughter erupts. When he shows up in too-tight shorts, there is a disgusted reaction and more laughter.

After the expected insult and rejection by the straight male host, he acts wounded and everyone laughs at him. On one show, Letterman actually gets a fire extinguisher and shoots it off in his direction to ward him off. The whole act is based on degradation and the stereotype of the gay man who desperately hits on straight men. I have seen him do this on many different shows and it has been a regular thing for at least 20 years.

I should also note that he did a commercial in which Mr. T literally hunts a flamboyantly dressed Simmons like prey and then runs him down with a vehicle and shoots something at him. That ad was so appalling and so evocative of antigay violence that GLAAD protested it. He pocketed his money and never apologized.

And all of this he does for money, even while refusing to come out even in a low-key way and even while refusing to give a dime to any gay-related charity at any time since he became rich 40 years ago.

This is what you guys support? This is what you call a "good soul"? Seriously?

Posted by: Jon | Dec 3, 2013 5:40:23 PM

7. @ JON,

your comment was very important to read. I had forgotten all about the Mr T commercial.

Look, in Black America we had certain comedians who were no longer relevant. I guess Gay people are going to have to go through the same process.

I found Richard amusing--just as I found Moms Mabley amusing last night watching "Amazing Grace". Stereotypical? Ok, but not stupid. I don't like stupid.

Hell, some folks might argue that my attempts at humor on this blog are of an era gone by (queeny stuff).

But I read and appreciate your comment, JON.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 3, 2013 5:54:26 PM

8. @JON

Funny that you mention that. He was on Morning Joe last week professing that he had a crush on Joe Scarborough. Creepily singing, "I've got a crush in Joooooooseppph". It's really bad.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Dec 3, 2013 6:01:04 PM

9. He is positive and affirming to people (mostly women) that the rest of society treats like crap (the obese). it's no wonder he has so many fans. He encourages people who are usually the butt of everyone's jokes.

But his talk show appearances have always given me the creeps. I don't care if he comes out or not. I just wish he'd show a little more self-respect.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Dec 3, 2013 6:08:29 PM

10. JON/RICK: Please provide proof that he doesn't give a dime to gay causes. Back up your claim.

Posted by: UGH | Dec 3, 2013 6:13:02 PM

11. Simmons uses his clown persona to help people improve their health.

Posted by: jarago | Dec 3, 2013 6:17:42 PM

12. Sorry, but he doesn't seem even slightly happy with himself (and the fake tears are tired). He was out of the public eye for a long time, and now he's doing the same silly things he did in the 1980s. Still, I don't care if someone is effeminate, a broken record, wearing short shorts, or many other things.

I do care that he pretends to be espousing one thing (accept yourself! be healthy!) while being a hypocrite (I'll say or do anything to get attention because my star has long since faded, and now I'm just lost, overly dramatic, and possibly on dexadrine or some other upper).

Good for him that he's helped some obese people, but he's hurt other obese people, gays, and many other marginalized people by being a clown. He's bright enough to know that, and I don't care about his age or whatever caricature he's playing. It's insulting to smart and dumb people alike. He simply craves attention and money. Few people would ever aspire to being anything like him---fat or thin, gay or straight.

You don't get people to listen to you if they don't respect you, you lack self-respect, and become the same endless joke. Again, he just seems like a sad person trying to cover it up with sad but supposedly amusing behavior.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 3, 2013 6:39:34 PM

13. That was brilliant.

Posted by: zeddy | Dec 3, 2013 6:46:45 PM

14. @ Jon: Exactly.

Posted by: Morris Schwartz | Dec 3, 2013 8:10:44 PM

15. @Brian in TX:

Exactly. That's the schtick right there. He gets intimate with a straight male host in a way that is guaranteed to creep out the audience and invite rejection from the host. Then he acts like a wounded child as everyone laughs at him. And because he was so creepy, everyone feels OK about laughing at him. So it is like some sort of hybrid of a gay-as-predator stereotype coupled with a simulated anti-gay bullying reaction. This is how he entertains people for money.

BTW, I am not the first person to notice this. Here's a piece on Simmons's appeal to homophobic audiences that ran a few years ago. It lays out the schtick just as I have. And again, it is not about being fem. It is about validating rejection and even violence:

Posted by: Jon | Dec 3, 2013 9:51:11 PM

16. @Ugh:

No one can prove a negative. But I follow gay and lesbian philanthropy fairly closely, and there is zero evidence that he has ever made a donation to any gay charitable cause in 40 years. He sits on his huge pile of money, living alone with his dogs and multiple maids in Beverly Hills, making money by degrading gay people. If you have info about a donation to a gay cause, let me know and I will acknowledge it with pleasure. Any gay cause whatsoever - civil rights, marriage, youth, homelessness, anti-gay violence - anything at all. Just one donation. Please. I'm waiting to hear.

In fairness, I should acknowledge that he did go to one fundraising dinner, which raised money ONLY for pediatric AIDS cases. Not sure whether he conditioned his attendance on assurances that none of the babies would become gay later in life.

Posted by: Jon | Dec 3, 2013 9:53:26 PM

17. @JARAGO: I think that you have stated it best when you posted: "Simmons uses his clown persona to help people improve their health". I would add that Richard Simmons has probably helped more people in a few weeks than Jon and vile commenters like Morris Schwartz, who compared the effects Richard Simmons has had on gay people with the dictator and killer Robert Mugabe, have helped in their entire lives.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 3, 2013 9:56:36 PM

18. I rather enjoyed it. FOX needs more of this.

Posted by: Jack | Dec 3, 2013 10:01:16 PM

19. I don't have a problem with Richard Simmons because he's gay, effeminate or an "uncle tom" gay man, or dresses bizarrely.

I simply think he's an idiot and I don't like watching idiots.

Posted by: johnny | Dec 3, 2013 10:13:38 PM

20. What a sweet man!

Posted by: Scott B | Dec 3, 2013 10:27:49 PM

21. JON: If you can't prove it, don't make the claim! You know nothing about someone elses personal finances. You don't know who he cuts a check to each year. How do you know his estate isn't going to be donated to a gay charity? So, if you don't know, you really need to shut up. You seem so interested in what other people have given to gay charitable causes, as if your approval is needed because you "follow gay and lesbian philanthropy fairly closely" (really, you need a hobby other than that). How much money have YOU given JON? Please provide proof: cancelled checks and tax forms to let us know that you are putting your money where your mouth is. Honestly...some people!

Posted by: UGH | Dec 4, 2013 12:01:33 AM

22. @UGH: Right On!!!

Posted by: andrew | Dec 4, 2013 1:03:10 AM

23. Interesting...he took his look down a few notches for FOX....

Posted by: NOTSAFEFORWORK | Dec 4, 2013 1:16:21 AM

24. @NOTSAFEFORWORK: How so?

Posted by: andrew | Dec 4, 2013 2:03:50 AM

25. The only reason to watch Fox news that day. Stir that pot Richard!

Posted by: Seaguy | Dec 4, 2013 4:06:08 AM